• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Romania, Bulgaria and Serbia - Any Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
Sofia, I stayed in Hostel Mostel which is in an old Ottoman Inn (surrounded by communist era blocks), cheapish, central and quite quiet.

Found one of my favourite irish pubs in Sofia, JJ Murphys which I was pleastantly surprised to find considering the rubbish masquarading as irish pubs. Also, the kohinoor indian restaurant is pretty good. Both places are close to Hostel Mostel.

As far as local beer is concerned, I have a feeling you're going to be disappointed by both Romania & Bulgaria. Most beer seems to be either imported or locally brewed versions of international brands

Hostel Mostel is where i stayed too , like a farmyard barn in the city . Lots of ladies of the night around there in the evening.

Sofia was interesting enough but much preferred Belgrade.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

burns20

Got an odd reply from Wasteels (Bucuresti) when trying to book Bucuresti to Trjavna saying they only book to Gorna or Stara Zagora on train 461, 23 euro 2nd class single to the latter.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Is there a webpage for train compositions in Bulgaria and Romania?

Have checked Zelpage and Vagonweb but to no avail.

Established Member
The BDZ journey planner will tell you what sort of stock in theory is booked to form each train. However its doesn't always differentiate between the 'red' EMU stock and loco-hauled open coaches. As you'd expect it also far from foolproof especially when there is engineering work going on, but I've managed to avoid Desiro's by using it so far, but some have not been so lucky.

http://razpisanie.bdz.bg/site/search.jsp

burns20

Was thinking more of engine, catering, carriage order like zelpage/vagonweb. Not had one journey say Desiro so far. Odd journeys with a big 2 for 2nd class and a small 1 next to it so meaning half a carriage i guess of first?

burns20

Well depart next Thursday, only worry at the moment is the seat availiability on services with compulsory reservations;

Also revised the section between Sibiu and Bucharest to go via Ramnicu Valcea and Piatra Olt to give a sociable arrival time into Bucharest.

Is this section as scenic as the Vintu De Jos to Craiova section?

Status
Not open for further replies.