• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rome flying vs train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadget88

Which is better? Eurostar and connecting trains or flying? I hate flying but the train may cost more due to extra stops overnight.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
Which is better? Eurostar and connecting trains or flying? I hate flying but the train may cost more due to extra stops overnight.

Flying obviously, it's a 2 hr flight versus a multi day, multi leg journey

superalbs

Established Member
If you start in London at 07:16, you can arrive into Roma Terminii on the second morning - about 24 hours later.

You would change at Brussels-Midi, Frankfurt(Main)Hbf, and München Hbf. At München Hbf, you would board the modern and comfortable NightJet train for a good night's sleep, arriving into Roma at 09:22.

The journey by train would be far more exciting and interesting than a dull flight, and as you say, you hate flying anyway. It's a no-brainer for that distance! :)

duesselmartin

Established Member
Just flew into Roma myself. 2 hours early at the airport, 2 hour flight. 45 minutes baggage wait plus getting to the station. 15 min wait. 30 min to get to Roma Termini.
A total of 5 hours 30 min.
Getting from the station to Cologne Airport it would make it a total journey of 6 hours. I guess for London its similar.
Martin

Gadget88

Yes I’m going from Edinburgh so it means an extra 4 hours. I done Milan by train but I believe Rome is much further and I am not quite sure I am that keen to travel that far by rail.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Yes I’m going from Edinburgh so it means an extra 4 hours. I done Milan by train but I believe Rome is much further and I am not quite sure I am that keen to travel that far by rail.

Rome is at least another 4 hours from Rome by train

Veteran Member
Rome is at least another 4 hours from Rome by train
Rome to Milan is 3hr though :)

I'm planning Sicily to Shipley later this year and will probably break the journey in Rome and then once more.
Rome to Yorkshire/Lowlands works reasonably well using the Venice-Milan-Paris sleeper, whereas via Munich is tight for timings.

Gadget88

Rome to Milan is 3hr though :)

I'm planning Sicily to Shipley later this year and will probably break the journey in Rome and then once more.
Rome to Yorkshire/Lowlands works reasonably well using the Venice-Milan-Paris sleeper, whereas via Munich is tight for timings.

Yes I worked out I would need around 5 nights to do it by rail. Bonus is more holiday time and a stop in Paris. I did Zurich to Milan as a day trip but I could instead move to a hotel in a Milan for two nights and take in Rome for a day visit?

Gadget88

Yes I have.

I mentioned before on here it’s quicker to get off in Turin and switch trains to Milan rather than stay on the Paris to Milan service. The Italian trains begin from Paris in December so this may change this?

I was keen to do it via Switzerland however I could instead go via Lyon and spend a day there before going 3 hours 52 to Turin and changing to Milan. This would allow me to do Rome from Milan without any overnight trains.

MarcVD

The Italian trains begin from Paris in December so this may change this?

Nothing has been confirmed regarding the frecciarossa trains to Paris yet. As far as I know, testing is still in progress.

Gadget88

If I go back via Basel and stay there for a few hours is there much to do near the station bearing in mind I have suitcases? I mean Zurich station was a good 10 mins to the shops on foot.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
If you start in London at 07:16, you can arrive into Roma Terminii on the second morning - about 24 hours later.

You would change at Brussels-Midi, Frankfurt(Main)Hbf, and München Hbf. At München Hbf, you would board the modern and comfortable NightJet train for a good night's sleep, arriving into Roma at 09:22.

The journey by train would be far more exciting and interesting than a dull flight, and as you say, you hate flying anyway. It's a no-brainer for that distance! :)

I can beat that in time at least. Get the 1422 Eurostar to Paris, Pick up the 1915 Thello Sleeper to Milan, gets you the 0700* Frecciarossa to Rome arriving 1007.

Or, if the Thello is bang on time and you sprint, the 0605 getting you there 0923, just after you've rolled in on the NightJet, having left London 7 hours later.

ac6000cw

Established Member
having left London 7 hours later.

Faster, but it's still a 19 hour journey time (+plus ES check-in time), with probably not a lot of sleep (especially if you're going to get off the sleeper at 06:05) and missing a lot of the scenery in the darkness.

Veteran Member
As the OP prefers not to travel for more than 6hr/day (from previous posts), to avoid night trains, and doesn't apparently travel light (post #12), I would split the journey Edinburgh-Paris-Turin-Rome and return via Lausanne/Geneva-Paris or possibly Zurich/Basel-Paris.
As an alternative to the big cities, and to split the travel better, I would consider Brig or Sion for Lausanne and the bottom end of Lake Lucerne (Fluelen/Brunnen); in the latter case I would think about switching to the old Gotthard route as well.
Coming via Basel, yet another option for the middle day is via Strasbourg-Lille, as there is a convenient afternoon train.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I did this by train last year. Eurostar to Paris to connect with the Paris - Venice sleeper, with a train down to Rome the following morning.

I don't recall the sleeper as being particularly expensive - it was somewhere around £100.

If you aren't keen on sleeper trains though, I'd probably recommend flying if you can find a decent deal.

It's undoubtedly more interesting to spend an extra day or two exploring rather than staring out of a window ;)

Gadget88

As the OP prefers not to travel for more than 6hr/day (from previous posts), to avoid night trains, and doesn't apparently travel light (post #12), I would split the journey Edinburgh-Paris-Turin-Rome and return via Lausanne/Geneva-Paris or possibly Zurich/Basel-Paris.
As an alternative to the big cities, and to split the travel better, I would consider Brig or Sion for Lausanne and the bottom end of Lake Lucerne (Fluelen/Brunnen); in the latter case I would think about switching to the old Gotthard route as well.
Coming via Basel, yet another option for the middle day is via Strasbourg-Lille, as there is a convenient afternoon train.

That’s right but I may not be able to avoid it first day I worked out I could travel down to Lille and avoid busy Paris and catch a 3 hour train to Lyon. I could be in Milan in under 5 hours from Lyon. Rome seems possible in a day. I could also manage to fit a few hours in Basel to avoid a solid 7 hour journey back as i often do 3/4 hours there and back in a day. My plan eventually is do Munich to Vienna in a day.

Bill EWS

We took the over-night train from Paris To Naples a number of times in the middle to latter 70's. Starting from London and the Dover Ferry it was a long run. However just after first light and reaching the Italian coast you enjoyed fantastic views, passing through Italian Villages, towns and Cities with the blue Medditeranian all the way. There was interest everywhere and new things to see and learn which the children thoroughly enjoyed. Flying would certainly reduce the travelling time, or perhaps not with all the waiting and delays you often experience but even on time you would certainly miss experiencing the fantastic train journey and seeing so much.

MarcVD

Faster, but it's still a 19 hour journey time (+plus ES check-in time), with probably not a lot of sleep (especially if you're going to get off the sleeper at 06:05) and missing a lot of the scenery in the darkness.

I went from Brussels to Torino by train (TGV) just 2 weeks ago. I must say that I have not been overly impressed by the scenery encountered on the way. Quite dull till Lyon, a bit better after, but still way below what you can see in Switzerland or Austria. If scenery is the objective, then don't take thus route. Otherwise, the night part of the traject won't make you miss much.

peteb

Travelling with luggage is a pain now that for security issues many left luggage offices have closed and the privately owned ones require pre booking and are costly. I'd suggest this route, staying at hotels near the stations and with something to see and do in the evening plus scenery en route:
0730 Edinburgh-London then Eurostar to Brussels and on via Thalys to Koln (1915, overnight), c 0900 Koln-Basel (or Munich)-Zurich-Milan ( c1900, overnight); from Milan loads of options, into Rome by lunchtime on day 3. Avoids tight connections, gives an hour at Brussels to ensure Thayls connection and a leg stretch.

peteb

But to answer the OP question flying would give you more time in Italy to explore using local trains and without luggage, always a good compromise in my opinion. I often do half journey by plane eg BHX to ZRH then forward by train. Scenery not brilliant in winter until you get south of Koln.

duesselmartin

Established Member
Just at FCO airport. For being airport of the year 2018 its not great. Hardly any shops before security. The latter took ages. Beyond that totally overcrowded.
What would the summer and Xmas season bei like?
If you have the time and Money, let the train take the strain.

AlbertBeale

Established Member

An overnight stop isn't needed. First train from London to Paris in the morning, then train to Turin. Then there's plenty of time to get a high-speed train from Turin to Rome arriving the same evening.

ac6000cw

Established Member
An overnight stop isn't needed. First train from London to Paris in the morning, then train to Turin. Then there's plenty of time to get a high-speed train from Turin to Rome arriving the same evening.

Note that the OP is starting from Edinburgh, and doesn't like spending more than 4 hours on a train without a reasonable break.

Gadget88

My preferred route would possibly be going Edinburgh to Lyon. Lyon to Turin and Turin to Milan and back home via Basel or Zurich.

peteb

Lyon is easy from Edinburgh in a day; even easier if you change at Lille. Plenty to see in the evening and fantastic restaurants. Very scenic to Turin via TGV. Return from Milan via Zurich even more scenic and direct TGV possible Zurich-Paris with onward connections to UK.

Gadget88

Lyon is easy from Edinburgh in a day; even easier if you change at Lille. Plenty to see in the evening and fantastic restaurants. Very scenic to Turin via TGV. Return from Milan via Zurich even more scenic and direct TGV possible Zurich-Paris with onward connections to UK.

Yes I looked at an hour change in Lille enough time for dinner. Is there much around the station in Lyon given I would arrive late? I am keen to visit Lyon but may deserve a full day to go back next time. I did Zurich to Milan was great views. Keen to maybe stop in Basel instead to see how that compares to Zurich. I worked out I could do Rome in 4 nights two nights in Milan and a night in Lyon and Paris.

MarcVD

Depend on which station you'll be arriving. Around Lyon Part-Dieu you'll find restaurants, but the best ones are more near the river banks. Perrache is closer to the historic city centre.

peteb

There are several reasonably priced hotels close to Part Dieu. The problem with the hotels around Perrache is the incessant noise from the motorway which effectively cuts the station off from the much quieter (acoustically) city centre to the north. Having said that the fabulous Brasserie St George, a huge art deco restaurant with in-house brewery is 2 mins walk from Perrache and well worth a visit. The old town is virtually all pedestrianised so quieter for sleeping. The public transport system is brilliant and cheap to use, goes virtually everywhere (tram and or metro). The newly renovated Grand Hotel Dieu is stunning and has good eateries.

Status
Not open for further replies.