• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rose Grove potential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTPreston_Tez

I was wondering about the Rose Grove station in the suburbs of Burnley. Trains from Leeds and York rocket through the station with no announcement (but there's Celia(?) on all the other announcements) and I was amazed at how busy it was. Could there be potential for York services to make a call there, or any form of service to call there? Beats the buses that are called 142s and the rare 150 that can be seen calling there!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
It used to be a call on the Roses Link (Blackpool North-York) when it restarted in 1984. However Burnley Manchester Rd reopened in 1986 (having closed when the old service ceased in the 1960s) and replaced Rose Grove as the Burnley stop on the service. I don't think there is any point whatsoever in services calling at both, and with the Todmorden Curve reopening, BYM is likely to grow significantly. Don't forgot however that with the Curve's reopen ing Rose Grove may also see more servcies.

Lampshade

Established Member
The problem is the only real interchange point in East Lancashire is Accrington, unless you count a trek across Burnley.

Post-Todmorden chord they should switch the stop on the York service to Rose Grove and stop the Todmorden/Rochdale services at BYM.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The problem is the only real interchange point in East Lancashire is Accrington, unless you count a trek across Burnley.

Post-Todmorden chord they should switch the stop on the York service to Rose Grove and stop the Todmorden/Rochdale services at BYM.

The plan is to terminate the Todmorden Curve services to Blackburn. I don't really see the benefit in dropping Burnley Manchester Rd from the York services, it means that Burnley in essence loses its service unless you wish to venture about 1.5 miles out of Burnley town centre. You also need to ensure that you get decent connections at Rose Grove (ex-Colne / to York etc). Further, curtailing the Curve services at BYM leaves you with no possible services along it to Accrington etc, effectively destroying a lot of its business case!

I would personally keep it as now, and stop the Curve services at Manchester Rd, Rose Grove and Accrington, then Blackburn.

Status
Not open for further replies.