• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rostering - questions/practice tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Does anyone have any experience dealing with rostering, or has had to do psychometric tests or answer questions during an interview to do with rosters or staff rotas etc?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
In what way ? In general or in relation to the railway or recruitment. ?

All Driver applicants undergo psychometric testing and there is plenty of advice on this forum and is easily searchable.

I haven't done rostering on the railway but in a previous life I used to be a Manager and done the rostering, payroll, etc. As well as organising the new flexible rostering and other bits of legislation for new and existing employees.

toppington

I applied for an LU rostering/timetabling position.

Initial sift used SHL tests in numerical literacy and interpreting information along with CV check-over.

At testing day, had a number of timetable based tests using different paper systems with multiple choice answers.

Then a maths paper which tested logic and mental arithmetic- quite challenging and no calculator allowed!

Don't know if that helps at all but best of luck with your application!

Established Member
Sorry, should have put a bit more detail. I've applied for a job and have to do some of the standard SHL psychometric tests - one is verbal reasoning which I have done in the past a few times so shouldn't be any surprises there.

The second test is to do with rostering - I've worked to rosters in various roles from CSAs to drivers, however I've never actually had to set a roster, and I've never come across any sort of testing for it. I understand the requirements for rostering drivers (i.e. maximum shift/turn length, PNBs, minimum rest period between shifts etc) but never for a depot-based or office-based role.

dk1

Veteran Member
I was a roster clerk for BR 89-94. Learnt loads & helped me get on in my career but boy it's a thankless task. Damned if you don't damned if you do. You'll need thick skin mate.

Established Member
I was a roster clerk for BR 89-94. Learnt loads & helped me get on in my career but boy it's a thankless task. Damned if you don't damned if you do. You'll need thick skin mate.

Thankfully I hope that it is only a small percentage of the actual job role - plus it is based at a rather small depot which (I assume) only has a low number of staff on shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.