• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rosyth Dockyard branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

ld0595

I was at Inverkeithing this morning and had to cross the Rosyth Dockyard branch to get from the car park to the station. I decided to take a wander down just out of curiosity and noticed how overgrown the line has become!

Is the line still in use and when was it last used? I read on Railscot that it is only very occasionally used but I can't imagine something going down there now and it doesn't look like anything has been down in a long time.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Is the line still in use and when was it last used? I read on Railscot that it is only very occasionally used but I can't imagine something going down there now and it doesn't look like anything has been down in a long time.
It has been taken temporarily out of use to allow work for the Forth Replacement Crossing. I think the last time it was used was likely around about 2010.

themiller

I remember in the late '60s, I was an apprentice at HMS Caledonia. On reaching Waverley on the way back from leave, we (several hundreds of us) were ushered onto a train consisting of diesel loco & coaches which then proceeded directly into the Dockyard Halt. This was the first thing I knew of there being a station in the dockyard. It saved the cost of a taxi from Inverkeithing.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Just found a picture of a 170 being worked on in the Dockyard in 2009.
https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge/imagecomplete.php?id=22278

Presumably any pictures of flask trains involved with submarine reactor defuelling will be rare? I'd expect the rail connection will see future use when they start cutting up the defuelled submarines stored afloat in Rosyth, as there'll be low level waste to transport to wherever they're going to put it.

overthewater

Established Member
It line has clearly been maintained, since there built two new bridges for it while all the new road network has been created. I wonder why its being kept?

mcmad

Network Rail (and BR before) will rarely not get road bridges put in even for lines which are out of use during the planning stages of the road

Status
Not open for further replies.