• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rotheram: Freeze fares, Grayling: Impossible, Northern/TPE: No response

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
Interesting that the minutes state: "This document is Not for Publication - DRAFT - Report Intended for future publication"

oops!

Actually there isn't a problem. Those are draft minutes from the previous meeting, the first thing on the agenda for the next meeting is for those present to approve them saying they are an accurate record of the previous meeting. If someone says they've been misquoted then that will have to be changed before the FINAL document is produced, if everyone is happy then DRAFT will be changed to FINAL without any further changes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wombat

Is it too much to hope that they show their calculations somewhere?

Any time return from Epsom to Waterloo increases from £14.10 to £14.50 (2.8%)
Travelcard between Epsom and Waterloo increases from £20.20 to £21.70 (7.4%)

Am I being fleeced by TfL or SWR? I mean, I'll just buy the return and get an Oyster card, but I'd quite like to know who thinks that 7.4% is justifiable.

pemma

Veteran Member
Is it too much to hope that they show their calculations somewhere?

Any time return from Epsom to Waterloo increases from £14.10 to £14.50 (2.8%)
Travelcard between Epsom and Waterloo increases from £20.20 to £21.70 (7.4%)

Am I being fleeced by TfL or SWR? I mean, I'll just buy the return and get an Oyster card, but I'd quite like to know who thinks that 7.4% is justifiable.

Anytime is regulated so the average increase of regulated fares has to be around 3.1%, with adult fares being rounded to the nearest 10p it's rarely the exact 3.1%. Unregulated fares can increase by as much as the operator wants, the only thing stopping them is they can't charge more for an unregulated fare without time restrictions than a regulated fare with time restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wombat

Understood, I'm just wondering whether the extra 4.3% is being pocketed by SWR or TfL, and whether they feel any obligation to justify the increase.

urbophile

Established Member
Freezing fares would cost an absolute fortune, no wonder no ones taking up the suggestion. Your talking tens of millions of pounds in the first year then the loss through compound inflation even if theres a regular rise in future years could end up being hundreds of millions of pounds by the end of the franchise.
Would cost who a fortune? Not the passengers!

Status
Not open for further replies.