• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rotherham to South Wales and the West Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

momentum

Hello, I have been looking to make a journey from Rotherham to Cardiff and or Swansea for later this year and also from Rotherham to Taunton and the West Country.

No matter what site I have gone on it always routes me via Cross Country, being Sheffield, Birmingham, Bristol.

I am looking to make the Journey via London, apart from having to split my tickets say Rotherham to London then London to said destination, because there is no fare available via London, or as endorsed on the tickets Any Permitted, London is not classed as a valid route.

Any suggestions perhaps?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are you looking at advance purchase or walk-on? any railcards?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
(Last year's fares as usual, add 6%ish)

Fares to South Wales are all routed "Not London". A Saver is £69.30, the current restriction for that is 8A: Any train (which should become 'After 0500' after "simplification").

Rotherham to Taunton
Route Not London is £83.10 for Saver, also 8A.
Route +Chesterfield is £102.10 (you can get to STP at or after 1039)
Route +Any Permitted is £120.00 (you can get to KGX at or after 1115).

No cheap way of splitting it if you are going via London, and if the company is paying I would imagine they would find it odd if you bought seperate London tickets.

The big problem with going via London is the awful time restrictions on the Savers, combined with the higher cost.

I don't advise splitting anywhere if you were to go XC, either, due to the fact the through ticket is unrestricted. Split at Brum and you suddenly can't leave until 0923 from Sheffield (0953 after "simplification").

momentum

Thanks. How did you get these two fares then please, as the + indicates valid via London I believe.

Route +Chesterfield is £102.10 (you can get to STP at or after 1039)
Route +Any Permitted is £120.00 (you can get to KGX at or after 1115).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
the + indicates valid via London I believe.
Correct, although the absense of a + doesn't necessarily mean it is not valid via London, the RG has to be consulted for a definitive answer. But if it is has the + then it is undisputably valid via London and you don't get hassle off LU staff as all they look for is the + ;)

You can download Avantix Traveller (last year's edition), there is a recent topic about it here.

It's getting more and more out of date now and will be totally useless when we have national "simplification" in September. We need someone to leak it again....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.