• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Round Robin Ticket (specifically East Yorkshire)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
Hi All

Planning on doing an East Yorkshire Round Robin later this week and want to check on what the specifics are on if you can double back and use it as a ranger effectively within the area.

I won't go into detail as to the full planned itinerary as it is fairly irrelevant but I am thinking of including (having started at Scarborough) taking a TPE from Hull to Brough, the Hull Trains back again and then the Hull Trains out to Selby (leaving about 20 mins after arriving from Brough), which I think may be the same unit which turns round.

From which I plan to go back to Hull again and maybe have a wander round before heading to York and back via Malton.

I would prefer to avoid problems but would rather not be stuck to going round the circle and not being allowed to double back as otherwise it will be a fairly short day out and not really worth the cost. That, as well as for some reason I wish to take my first HT service and do an all shacks from Hull to York, which requires a double back!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oscar

Fares Advisor
All the information I can see about this ticket says that you can "take the train in either direction on a circular tour" or words to this effect. So it seems that the ticket does not allow doubling back.

nedchester

Established Member
They are just day rangers with a different name. There is an East Midlands round robin which has different branches to it. Why they don't just call them all rangers & be done with it?

OwlMan

Established Member
Nedchester is correct. It allows unlimited travel in the designated area exactly the same as a day ranger would.

http://railrover.org/pages/east-yorkshire-round-robin.html

Kev
But that is not an official site
National Rail clearly says it is valid for a circular journey in either direction.

East Yorkshire Round Robin

Product
Validity
Price
Child
Railcard
East Yorkshire Round Robin
1 day
£21.50
£10.75
£14.20*​
Discounts

Child - 50%
Senior Railcard, 16-25 Railcard, Disabled Persons Railcard - 34%
* Where conditions are met Family & Friends Railcard Adult 34%, Children 81% discount, subject to minimum of £1·00.
Staff Travel discounts of 75% Adult and 88% Child are permitted.
Validity

On trains timed to depart from 08:45 Monday to Friday, anytime weekends and Bank Holidays.
Valid for a circular journey in either direction.
Only valid within the area shown on the map below.
Valid on the services of the following Operators:

• East Coast
  • First Hull Trains
  • First TransPennine Express
  • Northern

Rover

It is valid for a circular journey, it also allows unlimited off-peak travel.
NR says "The East Yorkshire Round Robin enables customers a circular journey in either direction" it doesn't say you have to do that. It could be made more clearer though.

Kev

Established Member
In practice, no TOC would know which way you had travelled or indeed if you had gone over the same route twice or ten times, unless you see the same staff member on the same train.

Crossover

Established Member
Cheers everyone.

Maybe doing the same Hull Trains service twice may not be the best idea then :P

I think I'll see until I get the ticket before I make a final decision as to how much back and forth I do. Don't want to be home too early but at the same time would like to get some value from the ticket :)

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
I've always wondered what EMT would make of one of these tickets on a Summer Saturday London-Scarborough between York and Scarborough!

Established Member
I've always wondered what EMT would make of one of these tickets on a Summer Saturday London-Scarborough between York and Scarborough!

As long as you have the leaftlet (which normally says 'Valid on all TOCs on this map') then they couldn't complain.

Just a shame that the York - Scaborough EMT is a Meridian and not a HST.

Crossover

Established Member
Well the ticket does say on it 'ONE DAY RANGER' so I'll be giving the double back a go and see what happens

While Googling last night, I did find another thread about this from 2009 where it was discussed by John @ home about them being valid as a day ranger...will report back later :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
On a double back and no problems at all

The guard on the Hull Trains service looked at it and remarked about it being a new ranger...in other words, she has probably never seen one before!

Jay

Might not be valid on the EMT service due to the following quote from national rail.

Validity

On trains timed to depart from 08:45 Monday to Friday, anytime weekends and Bank Holidays.
Valid for a circular journey in either direction.
Only valid within the area shown on the map below.
Valid on the services of the following Operators:
East Coast
First Hull Trains
First TransPennine Express
Northern

However I doubt you would be refused travel.

Established Member
It is valid on "valid on all train operating companies’ services on the maps shown with the exception of Grand Central". See Northern's Explore Yorkshire 2012 leaflet.

This has cropped up a few times, where Northern's publicity has been less than clear on numerous tickets. As always, everyone should take the leaflet that is most advantageous with them if a member of staff says the ticket isn't valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.