• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Roundel Signs - Bronze/brass frame (bar size/width)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UniqueItemsGB

Hi all,
Is there anyone who knows, what was the proper width of the bronze/brass frame used on the 3 parts Roundel Bullseye enamel sign as the one on the picture: 32"(82cm) wide blue rectangle section and 26" diameter (66cm)?

The big 60" signs has frame made from 25 to 30mm width material.
I am curios if the one I described below had smaller width around 15mm? roundel 32 inch by 26 inch.jpg
Thanks for help.
regards Artur

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Holden Green

I think it's a tad bigger, perhaps 1.8. But you are mixing bits from two different roundels. Great Portland Street roundels don't have the white background, it's empty, leaving the wall as the background.

Regards,
Andy.

UniqueItemsGB

Hi Andy,
Thank you for the information.
This size 32" is very unusual.
I found few more pictures of the Great Portland Street roundels signs with the white background. I know that current signs are empty, is there any chance that old version could be made with white section? Is there any place I can check original design of the signs dedicated for the specific station?

Holden Green

You can always ask the London Transport Museum, or check their collection of photos online to see if there has been any point in its history where it has had a type of roundel or another, but sometimes it doesn't show in the photos. I'll spare you the trouble, there are no pictures of Great Portland street that show the roundels clearly. However, I've found pictures showing Baker Street with a white background after the restoration work, back in the 80s. They're on the same line, so this suggests GPS has sported this style of roundel.

P.s: GPS was subject to a horrible restoration work a few years ago which saw some of the original walls replaced by cream/white walls. Perhaps you saw a picture of a roundel in one of this new walls, making it seem like it had the white background

Status
Not open for further replies.