• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route coding problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harold

Hi all, I am during the process of coding Havant for my non-fictional probject for BVE 2 and 4.

The problem I'm having is, I have created the object textures for my track and station platforms, I put them into the .b3d files, changed the old names that the .b3d files had to my new named objects, and when I code them into my route, BVE says that there is missing object textures depsite the fact there isn't and that my objects are in the same place as the .b3d file that contains the file name for the object name I am using.

screenie1.JPG

Someone please help :(

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Snap

Established Member
Hmmm, are there any full stops or slashes in front of the objects texture name? Or, is the 'Loadtexture' bit spelt right etc? ;) :?:

Tom B

Established Member
Evidently the textures aren't there! Check the objects in structure viewer. If that works check your slashes are the correct way round - remember that under DOS a backslash is used to signify directories.

Coxster

Established Member
Having looked in Structure Viewer, it appears you have used an old file (with your own copyright message at the top?) so I am guessing you don't have your BMPs the same size as the originals that you have replaced. The file is set up so that the BMPs must be in the same folder as your .b3d file.

Guinness

Established Member
Coxster said:
The file is set up so that the BMPs must be in the same folder as your .b3d file.

Actually they don't. Take a look at some of X-City objects then you'll see what I mean. ;)

Tom B

Established Member
If you use Unix convention rather than DOS convention (slashes rather than backslashes) when referencing the object, it won't let your objects reference to other folders.

The Snap

Established Member
Yeah, that's right Chaz! :) Also, you MUST make sure that the images are of specific sizes. I think it goes
64x64
128x64 (or the other way round)
128x128
128x256 (or the other way round)
256x256
256x512 (or the other way round)

I think that is as big as you can go. :?: But, they MUST be of that size, or BVE will not read them, and they will come up all fuzzy, and sometimes not even appear. ;)

Coxster

Established Member
Chaz said:
Coxster said:
The file is set up so that the BMPs must be in the same folder as your .b3d file.

Actually they don't. Take a look at some of X-City objects then you'll see what I mean. ;)
The way Harold has set his one up he just lists the texture as 'x.bmp', not '\...\xxx/xxx.bmp' or '/xxx/xxx.bmp' so in his case they must be.

Tom B

Established Member
They're not ther only ones - you can have any side length that is a power of 2. As for the maximum I've had 2048x2048 textures before!

You can get away with other sides, but they're not reccomended as they are only compatible with certain gfx cards.

Coxster

Established Member
Cockfosters said:
You can get away with other sides, but they're not reccomended as they are only compatible with certain gfx cards.
The Banstead bridge in my route was originally not a correct size limit so the transparent bit only appeared as solid black. Re-sizing the textures didn't affect it's appearence much either excepot obviously making the underneath transparent as wanted.

Harold

Success, it worked!
It seems Tom and Rich were right, I had the dashes forwards instead of backwards.

Thanks guys!

screenie2.JPG

Coxster

Established Member
Harold said:
Success, it worked!
It seems Tom and Rich were right, I had the dashes forwards instead of backwards.
The file you sent me didn't have any slashes and was just set up to have the bitmaps in the same folder as the .b3d file...

Coxster

Established Member
Chaz said:
Small Platform. Is it ment to be a Halt?
No, Havant mainline station on the Pompey/Soton/Eastleight to Waterloo/Brighton/London Victoria lines (West Coastway) ;) The LSWR concrete platforms were sometimes slim but look at the yellow line on that ;)

Ooh I'm familiar with Havant station as my grandparents live there....! Looks pretty realistic to me! Which route will it be part of?

Harold

Hi LankyLancaster,

My non fictional project I am working on is Havant to Fratton for BVE 2 and 4. I travel between these 2 days during weekdays to get to college, so I thought "why not" make a BVE route out of it, I am progressing slowly now, thanks to Coxsters help ;)

More screenshots will follow as progress continues.......

Oh fair enough, should be a nice little route once completed, I look forward to it, it will be the first non-fictional route that I am totally familiar with! :lol:
Presumably your 444 will run on it?

Harold

Indeed it will, the 444's current state is trying to get the Motor sounds to work efficiently and to work on the BVE 4 cab.

Status
Not open for further replies.