• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You can always draw thin blue lines at the ends of the section you want to fill to "block" the section out, and then fill the section, if you know what I mean. Alternatively you could just draw over it, but that will likely result in a messy map.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

andyb2706

It has taken me a while to get round to doing this but here is my route coverage map.

Thinking of doing a yearly one and an overall map as well. Only got 2015 done so far and the overall one is an ongoing process.

Also I think it is about the right time to post this as we are now a third of the way into this year!

Hope this works, first time I've attached a document, pure guess work!

Attachments

• My Route Coverage for 2015.gif
    My Route Coverage for 2015.gif
    150.6 KB · Views: 34

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I shall try and get on the laptop and view that, won't work on my phone.

I've done paper maps in the past for yearly coverage, high time I did the same again but in digital mode!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I've had a look at your map, looks quite good for a 4 month period. I've also just done mine, it took much longer than expected and I actually had to refer to my RailMiles page to get some of it coloured in!

Attachments

• 2015 coverage.gif
    2015 coverage.gif
    149.7 KB · Views: 28

Established Member
Here's an updated version of my map:

Attachments

• Rail network coverage.jpg
    Rail network coverage.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 20

andyb2706

I've had a look at your map, looks quite good for a 4 month period. I've also just done mine, it took much longer than expected and I actually had to refer to my RailMiles page to get some of it coloured in!

If that is just for this year that isn't too bad either. Hopefully I will be able to colour in parts of Norfolk by the end of next week.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
andyb2706:2155687 said:

If that is just for this year that isn't too bad either. Hopefully I will be able to colour in parts of Norfolk by the end of next week.

Yeah the map I posted was indeed just for 2015, my all-time map is all blue and has been for a good while now.

I'm hoping to add more blue on the Southern Region 2 weeks tomorrow, and more in Yorkshire at the end of May.

crehld

Established Member

TheNewNo2

Can I ask, did you make this using social network analysis software? If so, which one?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Very interesting by the way!

I use a mindmapping tool called "Dia". It's freeware. You do have to do it all manually though, but I at least have a database set up that calculates what size everything is, what needs to be connected, etc.

CallySleeper

Established Member
This week I've made my first inroads into Norfolk, and further progress in Manchester and the Peak District.

Attachments

• coverage.jpg
    coverage.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 29

D6975

Established Member
Just returned from a trip up to Scotland, now done apart from freight only lines. Also did a couple of odd bits en route like the Dinting chord that were too small to have shown up anyway.

Attachments

• route-coverage-blank.gif
    route-coverage-blank.gif
    137.6 KB · Views: 48

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Rather surprised you haven't had a trip up The Desert yet.

Only recent coverage I've scored is that PSUL curve on Sheffield Supertram. All being well I'll be adding another PSUL bit on 1st August, early start required for it but not as early as another one would require!

Talking of, I really should examine PSUL 2015 and see exactly what I do need. Best get on with it now while I remember!

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

Only recent coverage I've scored is that PSUL curve on Sheffield Supertram. All being well I'll be adding another PSUL bit on 1st August, early start required for it but not as early as another one would require!

Talking of, I really should examine PSUL 2015 and see exactly what I do need. Best get on with it now while I remember!

For those of us who haven't got an encyclopedic knowledge of line nicknames, where's The Desert? ;)

I tried to do the third side of the Supertram Triangle a few summers ago: the plan was to get the first Bingham train off Nottingham on the Saturday morning, which was SLW and consequentially got a rare crossover done out towards Netherfield, have 20 mins in Bingham for the first train of the day back the other way, get the first Northern service which went via the Back Road (Beighton) to Sheffield, do the Triangle, and be back at Sheffield station for the tour I was on. The first train in all that was 20 minutes late so I had a 59 minute wait at Bingham at 0600 on a Saturday morning, missed the odd Northern service and didn't have time to do the Triangle. Still, would rather have got that first move done than the latter two, God only knows when that will happen again.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I don't know them all either, but The Desert is the most common nickname for Taunton to Reading via Westbury. I have of course noted that D6975 has done the Taunton to Westbury bit at least.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well the year for me started looking like this - and it now looks like this. I'm sure you'll agree it's quite an improvement!

Still got some pretty big holes to fill in though ;)

I remember those heady days when I had many gaps to fill in and it was easy to plan a trip somewhere to line bash as it was all new. These days, I still have plenty but it's pretty hard to do much in a day any more.

Attachments

• GB Route Coverage.gif
    GB Route Coverage.gif
    145.3 KB · Views: 39

Starmill

Veteran Member
Done one of these for the first time ever - really really scary how little I have now left to do. I am not really that fussed about coverage, just enjoy exploring new places, but I am so running out of virgin track!

starmill Coverage.gif

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I am not really that fussed about coverage, just enjoy exploring new places, but I am so running out of virgin track!

I see like me you've still got Perth to Dundee which I just can't quite work out how to get as I'm always going far beyond Perth or Dundee when I'm in that part of the world :lol:

Starmill

Veteran Member
I see like me you've still got Perth to Dundee which I just can't quite work out how to get as I'm always going far beyond Perth or Dundee when I'm in that part of the world :lol:

Hahahah :) The natural answer is to do Glasgow to Aberdeen!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
crehld: That's quite a difference in 5 months! Still a long way to go yet, the lack of any coverage in Wales looks a little bizarre to me!

I had the same sort of problem as starmill and ainsworth74 when it came to covering Perth to Dundee, it just didn't have a natural fit in any other trips I was making. I ended up doing it after an endurance ride from London via what felt like the entire universe to Dundee, just having enough time thanks to delays to make it onto my booked trains. Of course, covering the line to Perth was first on the agenda, swapping onto a 170 up the Highland Main Line before changing to a 158 to Aberdeen, where a lengthy wait was had for an XC HST to Edinburgh via the Inner Fife Circle and the Edinburgh Suburban Line.

Of course I'm sure I did a trip report on that trip, which was all the way back in December 2008. Which is actually making me feel a little old! What's also scary is that I'm considering another endurance Megabus journey to Scotland, but that's going a bit off-topic now!

Returning to this topic, my map for coverage in 2015 is attached below:

Attachments

• 2015 coverage.gif
    2015 coverage.gif
    150.5 KB · Views: 33

Kite159

Veteran Member
Couple new bits of new passenger track covered for me yesterday, the west curve at Earlstown station and that little bit of track between Frodsham & Runcorn.

I see I'm not the only one waiting for Oxford to Bicester to reopen

D6975

Established Member

The thing about the desert is that living in Bristol it's not on the way to anywhere. Add to that the lack of rover validity and it just doesn't get done. Westbury-Taunton is different, SW rover and coming up to Westbury to cover the tractor on the Weymouth means I've done that stretch a fair few times.

Lack of rover validity in SWT land means the area centred on Guildford is likely to remain red for quite some time too.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Fair games, I did some of that area with Pathfinder, the rest had to get done on an ALR.

Good point with The Desert, I got it the first time in June 2004 with 57602 on the Up Night Riviera, Taunton to Paddington via Temple Meads, Bath and Westbury East Curve. Had the line several times since, too many to count.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
My first (north-centric) map, probably covered more in the London box but hard to tell what's what.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.