• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JoshW1992

Established Member
Insect! :p
Nah, just kidding mate, you're doing alright.

I'll get mine uploaded as and when I can be bothered to update it :lol:

Lol, actually... I'm doing awful. Hopefully, with my planned ALR in July, I shall get some decent coverage in. Until then, I'm RailUK's resident Coverage Insect ;)

Jordy

Established Member
I suggest using the flood fill (paint bucket ;)) function to mark the lines, much neater and easier (you have to draw a blue line at junctions though or the whole network will go blue ;))

JoshW1992

Established Member
I suggest using the flood fill (paint bucket ;)) function to mark the lines, much neater and easier (you have to draw a blue line at junctions though or the whole network will go blue ;))

Yeah, I tried that for the first few bits, but then other lines were turning blue, so I thought, I'll just go over it. At least it can be seen, thats the main thing :D

Jordy

Established Member
Someone made and excellent London coverage map once, can't remember who it was or where it was though sadly!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Its much easier to use than the other one, but credit must go to Seth who made it a considerable time ago!

Ebbw Vale Parkway and Alloa branches have now been added

Excellent news, I do need to add Ebbw Vale Parkway IIRC.

Looks a damn good map, mucho thanks to Seth for it! :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Correct, I've still got one of his maps somewhere. He also did one for the South West, with a view to one day cover the whole country. A fantastic idea but a dreadfully huge job!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
HOLY...

That's some VERY good work there!

Not sure if it's much help to you, but UK Railtours are running over the Bletchley to Bedford route on their London Euston to Lincoln Central tour on Friday 5th December 2008.

As for the Vale of Glamorgan, FGW divert HSTs over it with the 2245 Paddington to Swansea every so often, keep an eye open for engineering works updates on their website. Tends to be every couple of months so far.

That bit through Cumberland is sometimes used by the Fort William sleeper, I don't know what works cause it to go that way but we did it once on the forum's ages-ago meet to Fort William. It might be it's booked that way, someone else will know for sure.

I'm sure you'll already know the Freedom of the South West rover would cover you from Pompey to Cornwall and Devon to do those branches down that way. A 3 in 7 rover would do it (and it should be doable in just 2 of those days, including getting to/from Pompey with an overnight stay/overnight moves with the sleeper et al), unless you'd like to spend some time in the various towns exploring.

Overall, some good work there. I thought I'd done well, I'm making an extra push to get more done even quicker now...

Matt Taylor

Established Member
Thanks for all that, sadly I don't have a great deal of time for track mileage lately, for the SW branches I can travel free to Exeter and then use PRIV for the lines themselves.

Matt

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Nice, it's alright for some eh?

Hope you find the time to fill in those other bits, would be a shame not to do so now!

me123

Established Member
Quick question; Been on a TPE to Manchester from Preston and return. Both times it passed through Wigan North Western without stopping, and continued to Bolton, Salford and arrived in the through platforms at Picc (14 + 15).

Anyone have any idea what this would be on the coverage map? Thanks.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
My latest bit of route coverage has finally been added to my map and uploaded. Latest updates: Darlington to Eaglescliffe South, Eaglescliffe North to Middlesborough, Middlesborough to Whitby and Saltburn and of course Doncaster to Peterborough via Lincoln Central.

I also added Reading East to Guildford as I hadn't included it in a previous version somehow.

Here is my latest map then:

Coverage_Map_10112008.jpg

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Quick question; Been on a TPE to Manchester from Preston and return. Both times it passed through Wigan North Western without stopping, and continued to Bolton, Salford and arrived in the through platforms at Picc (14 + 15).

Anyone have any idea what this would be on the coverage map? Thanks.

Having also done this bit with FTPX last month, I hope this attempt at making it clearer for you helps. If not, I'll try and make it even clearer.

routedetailforme123.jpg

The above image was a cut and paste from my own map (obviously using the red colour and text to show the route), so apologies if it's not terribly clear from the enlarged area.

Hope this helps!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Not uber rare, but it is not used by a lot of trains. Mostly used by the 0458/0510 Manchester Piccadilly to Glasgow Central and 2010 Glasgow Central to Manchester Piccadilly (which should be assured to be via that way, it's booked to set down at Wigan NW), so less than a handful of trains are booked to use it daily.

Unless you're around to be on those Voyagers, then it's not easy to get in the atlas. I certainly remember celebrating getting the track in myself when I did it!

me123

Established Member
Odd then; I've done it before Preston to Bolton direct :lol: Thanks for that :)

me123

Established Member
Nope; on a 185. Blackpool North-Pic and Pic back to Preston. Both trains went that way, but I have no idea why.

almark

Here's mine.....
route-coverage-blank.gif

Really ought to do East anglia and the Welsh Valleys! And the whole of the Trent Valley (only done bits!)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hi all,

Since everyone else is using this red and blue map, I've finally got mine done! Took me flipping ages!

I foolishly saved it as a JPG, so the quality is vastly reduced from what it was as a GIF :(

Anyway, here it is:

Revised_coverage_map_23112008.jpg

Techniquest

Veteran Member
But not included the image for us to admire it?;)

I couldn't really edit the JPEG save of my map, so I decided to go back and re-do some of the bits on my other copy after adding the stuff on the Scottish MegaBash.

Much was done that I needed, the list includes Dundee to Perth, Welsh's Bridge Junction to Aberdeen, Aberdeen to Dundee, Dundee to Ladybank, Glenthrothes North Junction to Glenthrothes West Junction and onwards to Inverkeithing via Dunfermline and finally Cathcart to Neilston. With the Glasgow area stuff, I haven't really bothered to colour in those bits yet, but I will eventually. I have put in the Neilston line for now though.

Anyway, here it is in all its glory:

Revised_coverage_map_in_progress.gif

P156KWJ

Established Member
time for an update: Includes the Carlisle line which I'll be doing next week

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• coverage-end2008.jpg
    coverage-end2008.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 72
  • lul-coverage.jpg