• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route Coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
If you use the colour picker to pick the colour it was originally from somewhere else and then infill with that will take it back to the original colour.
Cheers , was having trouble taking away or erasing stuff.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
Its where there is a fork in the line , if you fill it in it will fill it with black to the next station up the line .

Mainly SE Asia, occasionally Central Belt
That's what I'm.struggling with . How do you do that ?
I'll drop a series of screenshots to show you!

1. Use the Fuzzy Select Tool to select your area:
wF9nlurl.jpg

2. Choose the Free Select Tool, and click on "Subtract from the current selection"
n96bmwGl.jpg

3. Start outlining the bit you want removed
5kl1miel.jpg

4. Press Enter and voila
AEcvOavl.jpg

route101

Established Member
Cheers , that helped a lot .

Mine is very pixelated and when i converted to PDF it was a black screen

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The problem I'm having is that to import it and not have it pixelated I'm having to up the resolution on the import screen from 100 px per inch to say around 300 which has the result of making the image huge (14,000 x 20,000 pixels o_O). When exported as a png that's obviously massively unwieldy and if I try to export as a pdf I have a similar issue to route101 in that all I have, in my case, is a green pdf (same colour as I've chose for covered areas by the by).

Can't help but feel I'm going wrong somewhere or other! :lol:

route101

Established Member
Managed to do it finally , few lines in South London unsure about . Anyone know how to make it less pixalated when zoomed in ?

Attachments

• nationalrailroutemap_allstations pdf z.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 81
Mainly SE Asia, occasionally Central Belt
The problem I'm having is that to import it and not have it pixelated I'm having to up the resolution on the import screen from 100 px per inch to say around 300 which has the result of making the image huge (14,000 x 20,000 pixels o_O). When exported as a png that's obviously massively unwieldy and if I try to export as a pdf I have a similar issue to route101 in that all I have, in my case, is a green pdf (same colour as I've chose for covered areas by the by).

Can't help but feel I'm going wrong somewhere or other! :lol:
Yeah that's the problem, the GB network is massive and hence the file is massive too! You could split it into several sections if that's your thing, you always have the flexibility in doing so.

Gotta say I never export in pdf though, I do it in jpg with maximum quality, though albeit normally on photoshop. I did try it in GIMP and it seems to work though

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yeah that's the problem, the GB network is massive and hence the file is massive too! You could split it into several sections if that's your thing, you always have the flexibility in doing so.

Ha! Well as long as that's the expected behaviour I'll muddle through. I was more concerned I was doing something wrong as I'm a total novice at this sort of thing!! Thanks :)

Requeststop

Following on from my post on December 1 last year, I have now returned to the UK to complete my route coverage. I now have seven stretches of track to complete.

Tulse Hill to East Croydon
Motspur Park to Chessington South.
Surbiton to Hampton Court
Surbiton to Effingham Junction
Selhurst to West Croydon
Balham to Epsom Downs via West Croydon
Thornton Heath to Caterham

This Thursday 20th September it's my 65th Birthday. Part of the celebration will be completing these lines. Then I will have covered all available passenger lines on the Mainland British Railway (not NI) System.

Looking back, I don't begrudge a single penny in expense: a single mile of the journey; a single second of the time. Each time I have ridden on new rails there has been a tinge of excitement.
In spite of many problems there are with the rail system today, we, in the UK have a rail network to be proud of. Most probably I have met hundreds if not thousands of rail workers all of whom have been courteous, polite, friendly, chatty, and helpful.

The lovely lady in Troon, The guard up in Chester who gave me his badge when I was seven or eight years old, and the platform staff, who have held up trains for me by a few seconds, so I could make a connection, all come to mind. Illegal now, and most probably back then, the drivers who invited me to cab ride with them. Brilliant people all of them.

Today more than in yesteryear, fellow passengers annoy me. Feet on seats, obviously cheating on fares, bags on seats preventing others from sitting next to them or sitting in an isle seat to keep the window seat next to them empty. Mobile phones are a nuisance, and swearing! How fellow humans degrade themselves.

One thing the rail network needs more than HS2 and electrification is coaches, coaches, coaches, and longer platforms in lots of places. There is nothing quite so soul destroying to my mind than to see a train from the south west going to the midlands and way beyond with 4 or 5 coaches, full to the gunnels by the time it gets to Plymouth. A two or three coach train (as I experienced recently) from Manchester to Cardiff.

My first train ride, I was told, was from home in Lelant to St Ives. then to St Erth and Penzance. Home is no longer in Lelant, and indeed Lelant is just a requeststop these days (hence my nickname), I still get a thrill when I return home and pass Truro and see our cathedral. I still think St Erth is the best little main line station in the network, and my home line, the St Ives branch the best in the entire bloody world. (wipes away metaphorical tear)

I'll post on Thursday my final coverage of the network. If you are travelling the lines listed above on Thursday, and see a youthful(ish) 65 year old with a huge grin on his face, give me a smile huh!

Update: 21/09/18 Route coverage completed. See log in Trip reports thread.

Last edited:

_toommm_

Established Member
What program would be best to do this on a Mac? I'm assuming GIMP isn't available for Mac?

PeterY

Established Member
I cleared Sudbury and Braintree branches today. All of East Anglia completed.

:D:D

PeterY

Established Member
I cleared Brighton to Arundel Jct & Horsham to Ewell West.

PeterY

Established Member
Today, I cleared
Ewell West to Epsom.
Leatherhead to Guildford.
Effingham Jct to New Guildford Line Jct.

Not a good day for South West Trains. Lots of delays and cancellations.

PeterY

Established Member
Probably done for this year now but I've now covered most of the UK except North Lincolnshire (The land where nothing connects:frown::frown:) ,the far North lines to Klye of Lochhalsh, Wick and Thurso, Airbies and Manchester Airport.

Saturday 14th
Shrewsbury to Pwllheli

Monday 16th
Dovey Junction to Aberystwyth

Cambus731

The most recent bit of line I cleared was a few weeks ago when I did St Pancras to Finsbury Park northbound

Gathursty

Established Member
Week beginning 3rd August
Banbury/Oxford - High Wycombe
Chiltern network completed
Oxford/Swindon/Taunton/Basingstoke - Reading
Axminster - Basingstoke
Bath Spa/Chippenham/Weymouth/Romsey - Westbury
Lymington branch
Romsey - Eastleigh
Romsey - Redbridge
Eastleigh - Fareham
Southampton Central - Weymouth
Frome avoider and via Frome

Need Reading - Gatwick to complete GWR
Need a lot of inner/outer London suburban SWR routes to complete the network.

Last edited:

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
19/08/20.
Pomona to Intu Trafford Centre.

An unlovely bit of track. Like the Waterloo and City line, but three times as long and without the views. Metrolink track cleared again...

Cambus731

A couple of new bits today. Aylesbury to Aylesbury Vale Parkway. then Haddenham & Thame Parkway to Oxford Parkway

Did various curves of the DLR today, so I'm pretty sure I've done all the bits of it available to passenger services now. Although I have a bit of a nagging doubt as I've never caught a direct train from Star Lane to Royal Victoria. Does that mean that I still have a bit of track to clear? I believe that direct trains between these two stations are very rare, if there are any at all? No doubt someone on this page will know the answer to this.

Last edited:

A Challenge

Established Member
Victoria. Does that mean that I still have a bit of track to clear? I believe that direct trains between these two stations are very rare, if there are any at all?
Platforms 1 and 2 at Canning Town to Royal Victoria is different track between the junctions to all other routes

Cambus731

Platforms 1 and 2 at Canning Town to Royal Victoria is different track between the junctions to all other routes
Any idea when and if it is possible to do this piece of track? Are there currently any passenger trains booked to run over it?

PeterY

Established Member
Rainham (Essex) to Grays.
The Kennington loop.
New Northern line extension to Battersea power station.

Status
Not open for further replies.