• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route info for a trip I made

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
Can anyone help?

In 1992 the wife and I made a trip from London to Vienna. As newlyweds I don't remember a lot about the route we took. Then on the return from Villach to London.

This was all prior to the Channel tunnel and I want to plot our route on rail maps.

This is what I do remember.

London Victoria to Dover Western Docks.
Ferry to Oostende.

The train from Oostende to Vienna departed approx 19:30/20:30, I remember Ghent, Brussels Midi (?). On our tickets I remember Aachen and Passau. I also remember Wels and Vienna Westbahnhof.

1. What would the route have been in Germany?

On our return we left Velden am Wörthersee via Villach, Bischofshofen, Salzburg but from there to Munich I don't know the route. We changed at Munich for the night train to Oostende.

2. What was the route from Salzburg to Munich?
3. From Munich to Oostende what would the over night route have been?

Please can you help?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
1. Oostende - Wien would be via the Rhine Valley (probably the left bank through Koblenz), Frankfurt, Aschaffenburg, Würzburg, Nürnberg, Passau, Linz, St Poelten.
Without a timetable to hand I don't know whether it called at Frankfurt Hbf and reversed there. Worth knowing that since then a section of high speed line has been opened before Würzburg and several more between Linz and Wien.

2. Salzburg to Munich goes via Rosenheim.

3. Munich Oostende almost certainly via Stuttgart (reverse), Heidelberg, Mannheim, Mainz and as outward. Ignore the high speed line avoiding Heidelberg. And indeed the newlines Aachen - Liege - Louvain.

If you use the relevant maps here you should be able to work out which are the appropriate main lines.http://www.bueker.net/trainspotting/maps.php

03_179

Established Member
Thanks very much.

I used to have the 1992 Thomas Cook European Timetable with the trains in it but I think it's been binned by someone over the years. I know it was the overnight train from Oostende and Munich.

I will have a look at the link and print off a copy.

cphilb

I made this journey as a schoolboy every summer between 1962 and 1975. Up to Koblenz the journey is as described above The train did call at Frankfurt am Main Hauptbahnhof late at night and then reverse out again The onward journey was via Wurzburg, Nurnberg, Passau and then into Austria. it did not go via München. It arrived at Wien Westbahnhof at about 10am the following morning. I still have one of the old train guides somewhere at home. If I remember correctly, every time it crossed a border, the engine changed - but I may be remembering that incorrectly. After Wien, the train continued to Budapest.

Veteran Member
Now back home with the Feb 1980 Thomas Cook to hand:

The Oostende-Wien express D225 left at 1707 (and took the route I and cphilb described, reaching Wien at 0945. It connected with the 0944 Boat Train from Victoria.

The Muenchen-Oostende Tauern Express D218 was at 2110 arriving 0929 (and did reverse at Stuttgart, I remember boarding it there in 1974!)

However, your timings puzzled me.

So a quick Google produced this wonderful site which shows that for 1992 the two trains were combined and various lengthy intermediate stops omitted. The routes would have been basically the same, but maybe without the Frankfurt reversal (the Muenchen portion DID reverse at Stuttgart though).
In Koeln the train swapped portions with a train from Amsterdam (which had once been the Austria Express).
The history is fascinating if you can translate the German, but the lists and pictograms are simple enough.

http://www.vonderruhren.de/aachenbahn/seiten/d224.php#remark

Another search (for D215 this time) mentioned departure from Oostende at 20.30, which fits exactly, presumably with a lunchtime departure from London.

Last edited:

03_179

Established Member
Thanks.

I'll get google translate on to the translation lol.

I defo remember the train arriving into Vienna about midday.

I found my old log of the trip alas no times listed :D :

01/08/1992 (dep) 02/08/1992 (arr)
Oostende-Aachen: 2729
Aachen-München Hauptbahnhof: 111-008-4 (edit: I missed off a 1 DOH!)
München Hauptbahnhof-Wien Westbahnhof: 1044-xxx-x (got a photo of it just never filled in the log LOL)

04/08/1992:
Wien Südbahnhof-Velden am Wöthersee: 1044-006-3

12/08/1992:
Velden am Wöthersee-Villach: 1148-031-
Villach-Velden am Wöthersee: 1043-008- + 1048-632-8

13/08/1992:
Velden am Wöthersee-Klagenfurt Hauptbahnhof: 1042-558-
Klagenfurt Hauptbahnhof-Velden am Wöthersee: 4030-237-4

14/08/1992:
Velden am Wöthersee-München Hauptbahnhof: 1044-047-7

(overnight from München to Oostende)
München Hauptbahnhof-Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof: 111-049-3
Stuttgart Hauptbahnhof-Köln Hauptbahnhof: 103-130-
Köln Hauptbahnhof-Aachen: 111-047-8
Aachen-Oostende: 1804

If anyone can give me a train ID (ECxxx ENxxx etc.) that'll be great or the checksums..

I can't believe I found this on excel too LOL.

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Munich to Köln D214, thence D224.

Outward D225, however you said you were routed via Passau which is where the engine change would have happened (the DB one being a class 111 or 110) - I assume you photographed the 1044 at Wien Wbf? You would have remembered changing trains at Munich or Salzburg on the way out!

A 4030 was an EMU, but can't help with the Austrian train numbers.

03_179

Established Member
Munich to Köln D214, thence D224.

Outward D225, however you said you were routed via Passau which is where the engine change would have happened (the DB one being a class 111 or 110) - I assume you photographed the 1044 at Wien Wbf? You would have remembered changing trains at Munich or Salzburg on the way out!

A 4030 was an EMU, but can't help with the Austrian train numbers.

Yep the 1044 was at Wien. I was shattered as we were in a 4 berth couchette. The wife, Mum (revisiting Austria for the first time since my Dad's murder) and i. The fourth berth was a Belgium woman who snored like deltic starting up!!!! The three of us were awake from about 5am LOL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.