• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route Learning Tips & Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

jincy93

I am due to start route learning soon and just wondered if anyone had any tips on taking notice/ typing them up. I have seen several staff with little booklets that they have designed with all the things you need to know about a route.

Not sure how these can be created and didn't know if templates exist?

Any advice or tips would be appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sw1ller

Established Member
When I learnt my core routes I just cracked on with it hoping to take it all in. Driving with an instructor all the time. Looking back, this was awful. I then had 7 days to learn Shrewsbury - Birmingham international without driving it at all! So I got all the basics in my head before I even got in the cab.

Stations and junctions first. Get them down in a list and repeat them over and over until they’re stuck in your head. That way, when you drive past these at 70 odd mph, you’re not just assuming or guessing where you are. You KNOW where you are. Then speeds, speed changes and breaking areas (under normal/good conditions). These need to be done while you are out there.

And last bit my biggest tip.... film the route yourself. Ask questions on the film. Get the driver instructor to say all the important things like wrong routing or flashing yellows etc. This was brilliant for me as I could just quickly go back to a point if I missed it at full speed.

Good luck and enjoy it. Also, take your time. You don’t have a maximum of 265 hours. It’s a minimum. Some people are ready by then, some aren’t. Don’t panic.

coxxy

Everyone does it differently..
I do it from intermediate points through the route and place everything within the gaps. Effectively make it in to 5-6 smaller routes.

Like I said though, everyone has a different way of doing things and learn differently.

Johncleesefan

The constant repetition going over and over the route will help, ask your d I lots of questions though I'm sure they will be pointing things out. Study the maps in you own time. Signals, speeds and stations are your important bits foremost, then junctions, crossings, line names, low rail adhesion areas etc will come after. Don't worry if it takes some time to go in. I remember one day everything clicked, good luck

Economist

Where I am we sign all of our routes prior to the Initial Assessment, so almost everything you need to know is covered by our DI. We also stop at pretty much every station on each route, so braking points for stations and PSRs are learned quite quickly. Of course, other things follow on from that.

Focus on one route at a time if you can and continue to revise your existing knowledge. I presume you still drive your core route? One thing I will say is that learning a route from the secondman's seat is very different to actually driving it (I was sent out to do some route learning prior to waiting for a DI).

R Trevithick

There is no substitute for putting in the hard yards.
First off I write everything down, then I re-write and re-write.
I also tend to break a route up into smaller sections, maybe between certain stations or other features such as tunnels, crossings.
I find I have to put the hours in at home or else I don’t get a grip on a route

lammergeier

Some drivers are better than others at teaching routes. It's worth having a quiet word with those who have been learning before you and finding out who makes a good teacher and who it might be worth avoiding. Personality clashes may colour people's perception of one driver or another but you should be able to build up a picture of those who it's worth looking our for on the roster and planning your day accordingly.

lammergeier

Good luck and enjoy it. Also, take your time. You don’t have a maximum of 265 hours. It’s a minimum. Some people are ready by then, some aren’t. Don’t panic.

To further this entirely correct peice of advice, I would add that if you are going to ask for more time (fine) make sure you're bulletproof as management may start looking at what you've been doing and what you'll be doing to complete. They want you productive don't forget, a non-productive driver is an expensive commodity. If it's just taken a bit longer for the route to sink in that's not an issue, but if they find out you've been milking it you could be sacked like two ex-colleagues of mine.

LCC106

Established Member
And last bit my biggest tip.... film the route yourself. Ask questions on the film. Get the driver instructor to say all the important things like wrong routing or flashing yellows etc. This was brilliant for me as I could just quickly go back to a point if I missed it at full speed.

Just be careful - this would contravene some electronic devices policies and could land you and anyone else in the cab in serious trouble. That said, some TOCs have DVDs of the route you may be able to watch if you can't get in a cab for any reason.

tlionhart

Take your time!
I would say do little pieces, but often. Secondly, try and learn a route in small sections.
Whilst a lot of the core information has been given to learning a route. Also learn the risks associated with the route you are learning. This would be things like short signal sections, TPWS hotspots, if your network is updated with the new LED type signals-learn signals that are known as transitional (when signals change from 4 aspect signalling to 3 aspect, low rail adhession areas, shunts possible and the risks involved with that, areas for potential read across, stations with a risk of a SOY SPAD.
When it comes to learning crossings, don’t stress out about learning every foot crossing. Just learn the important ones and who controls it. (CCTV, UWC, AOCL, ABCL, AHB, etc!)
Don’t forget the local instructions from your Sectional Appendix.
You’ll also need to learn which signaller /workstation controls which area. Some TOCs, this maybe very straight forward, but on a route from one major city/town to another this is a little bit more complex.
Last and but least, don’t forget about route learning the depot! Again, shunts, risks, local instructions from both the Sectional Appendix and your TOCs instructions.

There is a lot to take in, it takes time but don’t waste that time. Ask your DI and mess room colleagues lots of questions. Things to consider, don’t assume your DI will tell you everything. Some do, some don’t. Some are very good at testing your knowledge, some won’t say nothing; other than last nights football.
It helps to have more than one DI throughout your handling if possible. This is all down to your TOCs constraints.
Filming the route...be careful with this, you could end up with the sack for using an electronic device on the move. Check with your TOC first. If your TOC is passionate in your development they may have videos or an online database with your networks routes. You maybe even more lucky if they have a video of the most common shunts made.
If you feel overwhelmed, then have an easy day and visit stations. Learn where things are in your major connection/terminus stations, stop car markers. I even think it helps to get a passengers prospective on things too.

I hope this helps, all the other advice given from other posters is top notch! :)

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member
Don't rush to sign a route. Sign it when you're confident and ready to sign it.

Use the tools you have been given ie Sectional Appendix, route maps, briefing notes, DVDs, listen to what you're told and most importantly pay attention to what you see out of the windscreen. Road learning isn't as daunting as it may first appear and it does fall into place after a few trips. Make notes, use acronyms, annotate your maps, draw pictures, take photographs (in line with your employers electronic devices policy) whatever you need to do aid yourself in getting the route in your head. It's your time so use it to learn in your own way. If one way isn't working then try soemthing else.

jasont

I am due to start route learning soon and just wondered if anyone had any tips on taking notice/ typing them up. I have seen several staff with little booklets that they have designed with all the things you need to know about a route.

Not sure how these can be created and didn't know if templates exist?

Any advice or tips would be appreciated!
As many of have already mentioned, break the route up into 2-3 stations at a time getting to terms with line speed breaking areas and other important info such as crossings and junctions. driving over a route you will learn a great deal more than sitting second man side to if you can drive snap up the opportunity. good luck

rob12

My advice... dont do too much in one day, up and down up and down over and over plus finding a DI to drive over it with is the key for me and when I get to the point where I am chatting crap with the driver I know it's time to go home, and if your not qualified and still a trainee then go home and study your route maps, try not to make a big deal of it it's only routes and when you get your key and your driving by your self you will wonder why you thought it was daunting in the first place after you learn the first one the second, third and so on is a lot easier

Established Member
Has anyone route learned for both a TOC and a FOC - just wondering if you noticed any major differences to route learning for freight vs. passenger or any problems you faced?

SPADTrap

Established Member
I recently moved to an intercity TOC and am currently staring down the barrel of a very long and complex route, considerably more so than my previous TOC. I'll take the advice here on board and see what works best! What I struggle with most is quantifying what I have learned.

Established Member
Similar situation but going from TOC to FOC. So although I'm guessing no braking points for stations but more braking for signals, I'm expecting my route mileage to be about 10x what I sign now.

ComUtoR

Established Member
Some superb advice all round. Nice going Guys and Gals.

A small note on splitting the route up. What I would advise is splitting the routes were they naturally split. Are there any interchange stations where you typically change trains/route, do some services always stop at X then run fast to.. ? Think about the diagrams you work and where you may find a natural break in a route/diagram. Turnaround points etc.

Remember your diversionaries. Routes are great in isolation but you often get diverted during disruption. Are there little loops, etc that you can take to get you off the main route then switch you back ? Does your depot need to sign any dirversionary routes for a location ? (we have various ways into Victoria for example)

Don't for get the little things. Are there any shunts or unusual movements over that route ? Once you sign it then your expected to know it all. Sometimes a shunt or a rarely used crossover can catch you out. Think about the places where you can turnback on a route and those passenger loops/bays that sit idle for years then your sent in out the blue. There are places where I have never shunted and had to do one recently I have never done since joining the railway :/

Take some time at stations. Go to the terminal station or interchange station and have a look around. Learn how the route connects with others and look how that part of the network connects. Speak to staff at stations and get to know your colleagues. In a pinch, most will help you out. ALso good to find a small staff room where you can ninja a free cuppa or fill your flask on a tight turnaround.

Learn the route at different times. Peak services run under different aspects and different stopping patterns, off peak is typically more repetitive. Remember not only do you have to drive the route, you need to work it. What are your diagrams like and where do they stop ? Take fast and slow services to see how they differ and how braking points change for different approach speeds. Learn it at night and in the dark. Signals and brake points are easy to pick out during the day but at night, a route chan change. Taking time to learn in the dark can be advantageous.

Also consider aspect sequences and where you need to be checked down for a route indication. Any approach control etc.

Methods of dispatch ?

Platform lengths are also important, especially where you run in permissive working.

Local coffee shops/cafes and places where you get a 'staff' discount. Most Drivers know a good place to eat on their routes.

Place to go for a quick pee.

Bromley boy

Established Member
Excellent advice above - I’d agree repetition is the key. The only thing I can really add is to recommend asking drivers where they have been wrong routed in the past.

Knowing the areas where this happens has saved my bacon twice already in less than a year with a key!

sw1ller

Established Member
Just be careful - this would contravene some electronic devices policies and could land you and anyone else in the cab in serious trouble. That said, some TOCs have DVDs of the route you may be able to watch if you can't get in a cab for any reason.

Ahh yes. Get your DMs permission to do this. I forgot to add that. Mine was fine with it. Just keep it off FaceTube etc.

donpoku

You'll be fine, just continually revise and get your d I to ask you questions-you know testing what you've learned.

Sirgerbil

I'm currently out doing my handling hours and find that route learning is quite easily gained by repetition for me, that's how I learn. There's also a few cheeky ways to remember a set of crossings with acronym's etc.

I'm with an intercity TOC so stations aren't too bad, just alot of crossings and junctions!

Status
Not open for further replies.