• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route: Rail Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJ

Established Member
I recently bought a ticket and was surprised to see it was routed Rail Only.

Does anyone know what this actually means - any permitted route by railbourne services?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sapphire Blue

Tickets to Eccles are marked something along the lines of "Rail only" to prevent use on the Manchester trams.
Eccles Metrolink is more expensive

Established Member
Wish they'd do that with Alty - Knutsford - Northwich etc

dvboy

Established Member
They should do this between Birmingham Snow Hill and The Hawthorns too although I suspect you'd get chucked off the tram if you presented a rail ticket, the TVM at Snow Hill sells Metro tickets too.

Muzer

Established Member
That term is still ambiguous. Manchester 'Trams' (Light Rail) etc run on rails. 'Heavy rail only'?
Trouble is, I'm not sure if the general public are familiar with that term (as much as they are with light rail, at least). Feel free to prove me wrong.

richw

Veteran Member
In London could it mean no underground/ dlr?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Or just not have a † on it, which should mean the same...

Is the intended route via Thameslink or via Overground?

No dagger sign does not mean invalid on LU though, depending on what the permitted routes are.

First class

Established Member
Route RAIL ONLY was created at the same time as RAIL ONLY NO BUS by First Capital Connect or one of the previous franchise holders.

RAIL ONLY/RAIL ONLY NO BUS would be fitting to flows where there is both a potential to encounter a rail and bus/coach link (Railair etc).

pemma

Veteran Member
Wish they'd do that with Alty - Knutsford - Northwich etc

How exactly do you propose that would work?

Option 1: You state not Metrolink. You finish up with:

1. Hale to Manchester CTLZ Route:Not Metrolink - ambiguous!
2. Hale to Metrolink City Route: Metrolink

Option 2: You state Route:stockport and Route:sale. However, you'd finish up with:

Knutsford to Warrington Stations Route:stockport - but it's also valid via Chester!

pemma

Veteran Member
Routes Via Sale and Not via Sale would seem to solve that problem.

There was actually another problem with option 2 - Altrincham to Navigation Road tickets, which would be solved by using Route:Metrolink but not by using Route:Not Sale.

Eagle

Established Member
There was actually another problem with option 2 - Altrincham to Navigation Road tickets, which would be solved by using Route:Metrolink but not by using Route:Not Sale.

In that (one) case the best option is simply routes Metrolink only and Northern only. Although why you'd want to bother separating the two for such a short journey I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.