• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route validity - extending a ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Badger

This may be a stupid question, but I can't find a clear answer in the conditions of carriage.

If you buy a ticket to entend a season ticket, can you travel on any route for which the whole journey would be valid or do you have to travel via the station where the season ticket is valid?

The specific example is that I have a Farnborough to Winchester season ticket and wish to travel onto Fareham. I've therefore purchased a Winchester to Fareham return as I'm stopping off at work in Winchester on the way. On the return journey do I have to travel back via Winchester or am I allowed to travel via, Havant & Guildford to Farnborough North?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
This may be a stupid question, but I can't find a clear answer in the conditions of carriage.

If you buy a ticket to entend a season ticket, can you travel on any route for which the whole journey would be valid or do you have to travel via the station where the season ticket is valid?

The specific example is that I have a Farnborough to Winchester season ticket and wish to travel onto Fareham. I've therefore purchased a Winchester to Fareham return as I'm stopping off at work in Winchester on the way. On the return journey do I have to travel back via Winchester or am I allowed to travel via, Havant & Guildford to Farnborough North?

:roll: Sorry, if you have purchased a Winchester to Fareham return ticket, then it is only valid between Winchester and Fareham, which means that you not then be able to travel from Fareham to Farnborough North (via Havant and Guildford) without purchasing another ticket or tickets valid on that routing.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You are not extending a ticket (in fact if you extend a ticket by excessing it you can take any permitted route not necessarily via the original destination but that is not the case here) you are adding another ticket on to your season ticket. The train must go via the station (or one of the grouped stations if it's a station group) but does not need to call at the station.

Bill Badger

You are not extending a ticket (in fact if you extend a ticket by excessing it you can take any permitted route not necessarily via the original destination but that is not the case here) you are adding another ticket on to your season ticket. The train must go via the station (or one of the grouped stations if it's a station group) but does not need to call at the station.

Thanks for clarifying this - thought that was probably the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.