• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Route West Hampstead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carefree

Hi.

Wonder if anyone can tell me the permitted route for a Bedford to West Brompton cheap day return marked route 'West Hampstead' (no maltese cross). The ticket works through the barriers at both West Hampstead tube and West Hampstead overground stations.

Is this ticket valid only on National Rail (ie. London Overground) services, or is its use permitted on the tube? And does the validity differ after the last LO service has departed on the return leg?

Another, more expensive, ticket is available on this route marked 'any permitted'.

I asked this question in a different form a short while back, but didn't manage to reach a satisfactory conclusion, so apologies for any repetition.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Logically, "Route West Hampstead" would appear to allow routing from Bedford -> West Hampstead -> Willesden Junction -> West Brompton. That way, you'd avoid using London Underground services.

There's also a "Route Bletchley" ticket, which presumably allows travel via Bletchley and Watford Junction.

Presumably the "Any Permitted" ticket allows both routes.

And if you wanted to use the Underground, wouldn't you need a Travelcard?

Can anyone confirm?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Hi.

Wonder if anyone can tell me the permitted route for a Bedford to West Brompton cheap day return marked route 'West Hampstead' (no maltese cross). The ticket works through the barriers at both West Hampstead tube and West Hampstead overground stations.

Is this ticket valid only on National Rail (ie. London Overground) services, or is its use permitted on the tube? And does the validity differ after the last LO service has departed on the return leg?

Is London a valid route in the NRG for the journey? If so, see this thread. There was a discussion regarding the validity through central London using a Route West Hampstead ticket and the general consensus that it is permitted provided that London is a valid route.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
And if you wanted to use the Underground, wouldn't you need a Travelcard?
No, you wouldn't.

Cross-London transfer on LU is permitted if "LONDON" is shown as a permitted routeing in the Routeing Guide. Usually, but not always, such tickets will have a maltese cross.

A Travelcard is a completely different product.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Would a Bedford -> West Brompton (Route West Hampstead) ticket work the barriers at an (interchange) LU station, apart from West Hampstead (as the OP has already advised) and presumably at West Brompton? If not, how is the OP going to persuade LU barrier staff to accept it for cross-London travel, if the ticket has no Maltese Cross symbol on it?

Carefree

I can't pretend to understand the routing guide, and there is no Bedford - West Brompton option in it; but the entry for Bedford - West Hampstead Group stations shows the permitted route is 'London' followed by the letters 'LB'.

Any ideas?

clagmonster

Established Member
The instructions of the routeing guide are available here: http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/RSPDocuments/instructions.pdf

The reason you are having problems finding a Bedford-West Brompton option is due to the fact that West Brompton is not a routeing point, so you need to find out which routeing points it is related to. This can be done, as instructed by step 2, by looking at the pink pages:
http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/routeing_point_identifier.pdf
Here, you will find that West Brompton is related to: Clapham Junction, Hayes & Harlington, Watford Jn and Willesden Jn.
http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/routeing_point_identifier.pdf page 65

At this point you are ready to proceed, as there is no common routeing point step 3 is irrelevent, so the next step isthe fare check for step 4. If you get stuck again, feel free to ask.

wintonian

Established Member
Bedford - West Brompton

Appropriate routing points are Watford Junction or Willesden Junction

Bedford - West Brompton via London is only valid by using Willesden Junction as a routing point using maps:

LB+OV LM+OV MM+OV

LB+OV
Bedford - St Pancras/ Kings Cross
Bedford - Croydon - Clapham Juntion - Victoria/ Waterloo

Then

Euston / St St Pancras/ Kings Cross - Willesden Junction - West Brompton

LM+OV
I can't seem to find a valid route without double backing through Willesden Junction

LM+OV
Bedford - St Pancras

Then

Euston / St St Pancras/ Kings Cross - Willesden Junction - West Brompton

Only a quick look so I may have made a mistake somewhere.

Carefree

Thanks, especially to clagmonster and wintonian, for all the work here. But I have to confess that this is all Greek to me.

So, put simply, can I use my route West Hampstead ticket for the journey Bedford - West Hampstead Thameslink - tube - West Brompton? Or do I have to use it Bedford - West Hampstead Thameslink - West Hampstead - Willesden Junction - to West Brompton? And if the latter is the case, what route home can I take after the 2242 last returning service has left West Brompton on a week night?

And if this ticket is only permitted via Willesden Junction, why is it accepted on the West Hampstead station tube barriers?

Thanks again.

wintonian

Established Member
<del>
Bedford - West Hampstead Thameslink - West Hampstead - Willesden Junction - to West Brompton would not be permitted route as you are double backing through West Hampstead, double backing through stations is not permitted</del>

You can use your ticket via any route listed in the routing guide as long as you pass through West Hampstead in this case as that is the particular route attached to you ticket.

I only listed the routes through London above - you don't have to go through London.

For example maps MM+OV allow you to go; Bedford - West Hampstead - Willesden Junction - West Brompton thus avoiding 'London'

Have a look at the routing guide instructions although complicated they may help you grasp the basic idea.

Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Bedford - West Hampstead Thameslink - West Hampstead - Willesden Junction - to West Brompton would not be permitted route as you are double backing through West Hampstead, double backing through stations is not permitted.
I don't think you are. Bedford to West Hampstead is on a different line to West Hampstead to Willesden Junction. You are only prohibited from passing through the same station twice, but that doesn't apply here.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Bedford - West Hampstead Thameslink - West Hampstead - Willesden Junction - to West Brompton would not be permitted route as you are double backing through West Hampstead, double backing through stations is not permitted

Am I missing something here? Between which two points is he doubling back?

wintonian

Established Member
Yes sorry I missed the Thameslink bit, West Hampstead Thameslink is a different station to West Hampstead so it is a permitted route

I've edited it now

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The other thing that's possibly clouding the issue here, as in the recent thread, is that some NR tickets have dual availability on the underground at West Hampstead LU.

The barriers are unlikely to be able to tell the difference between a ticket that is really valid at all three stations, or just two of them - I just don't think they are that clever...

So, in my opinion, I wouldn't read too much into the ticket working the barriers at the LU station.

Carefree

OK, now I'm REALLY confused!

Am I to understand that I can use this ticket on a fast EMT train to St Pancras, walk down to Euston and take LO to Willesden Junction, and then connect to a West Brompton service - a journey I where I would have thought my chances of getting through at least one of the barriers is close to zero (Euston at peak time with a CDR!)

However, I cannot use the ticket on the far more logical and direct route of Bedford to West Hampstead Thameslink by FCC, and then West Hampstead tube to West Brompton by Jubilee and District lines (or whatever) - a journey where the ticket works on all barriers, and which even involves a connection at the ticket's routing point!

And don't even get me started on the many crazy alternatives that take me almost to Gatwick and involve Clapham Junction.

I know logic has no place on the railways, but I'm really baffled by this one! Thanks to all for your help. Lord knows how the passenger is supposed to buy the correct ticket, and how RPIs can effectively and fairly do their work!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Restriction code specific to this ticket (CDR) says no restrictions at Euston in the afternoon. What time are you thinking of travelling?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OK, now I'm REALLY confused!

Am I to understand that I can use this ticket on a fast EMT train to St Pancras, walk down to Euston and take LO to Willesden Junction, and then connect to a West Brompton service

London is an appropriate route between these two points so yes.

dzug2

The average passenger would not think beyond the Bedford - St Pancras - underground route

John @ home

Established Member
Wonder if anyone can tell me the permitted route for a Bedford to West Brompton cheap day return marked route 'West Hampstead' (no maltese cross).
Here is my attempt to explain the operation of the National Routeing Guide with specific reference to an Off-Peak Day Return (CDR) Bedford - West Brompton route West Hampstead.
The ticket works through the barriers at both West Hampstead tube and West Hampstead overground stations.
We know from this post in the London Overground engineering today thread that the ticket operated the barriers at West Hampstead tube on Sunday 20 February when the London Overground line between West Hampstead and Willesden Jn was closed. In the next post, Daniel, who works for London Underground, confirmed that London Underground normally accept London Overground tickets during engineering work. What I don't know is whether the ticket would operate the barriers at West Hampstead tube when the London Overground service is running.

In any case, we have had many reports on this forum of valid tickets which fail to operate ticket barriers, and also some of invalid tickets which do operate ticket barriers. This doesn't tell us anything regarding the ticket's validity.

The steps in this calculation correspond to Steps 1 - 7 on pages 2 - 5 of the National Routeing Guide Instructions.

Step 1 - Routeing Point(s) for origin
In Step 1, we use the Routeing Point Identifier to find the Routeing Point(s) relating to the origin station. Bedford is a Routeing Point.

Step 2 - Routeing Point(s) for destination
In Step 2, we use the Routeing Point Identifier to find the Routeing Point(s) relating to the destination station. These are Clapham Jn, Hayes & Harlington Group, Watford Jn and Willesden Jn.

Step 3 - Common Routeing Point(s)
In Step 3, we consider whether the origin and destination have any Routeing Point(s) in common. There are none.

Step 4 - Appropriate Routeing Point(s)
In Step 4, we seek to identify Appropriate Routeing Point(s) for this journey. Bedford is the only Routeing Point for the origin.

National Routeing Guide - Instructions page 3 said:
If you are not certain that a particular routeing point for the destination station is the correct one, compare the fare from that routeing point to the origin station with the fare for the throughout journey - it is an appropriate routeing point only if that fare is the same or lower than the fare for the throughout journey from the origin station to the destination station.

http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/RSPDocuments/instructions.pdf
We must compare Single fares, and we're interested in the validity of the Off-Peak Day Return (CDR), so we'll use Off-Peak Day Single (CDS) fares. It may seem logical to compare all the fares from Bedford. These are:
National Routeing Guide NFM 08 CD said:
Bedford - West Brompton route West Hampstead CDS £16.90
Bedford - Clapham Jn route + Any Permitted CDS £23.90
Bedford - Hayes & Harlington route + Any Permitted CDS £23.90
Bedford - Watford Jn route Any Permitted CDS £18.40
Bedford - Watford Jn route + London: no CDS fare (SDS £28.40)
Bedford - Willesden Jn route + Any Permitted CDS £23.90
Bedford - Willesden Jn route Bletchley CDS £20.50
Bedford - Willesden Jn route West Hampstead CDS £16.90
If that were the correct calculation, then Willesden Jn would be the only appropriate Routeing Point for the destination.

But the rules quoted above are clear that we must compare the fare from the destination routeing point to the origin with the fare for the throughout journey from the origin to the destination. I don't know why the rules insist on this comparison. It gives surprising results:

National Routeing Guide NFM 08 CD said:
Bedford - West Brompton route West Hampstead CDS £16.90
Clapham Jn - Bedford route + Any Permitted CDS £23.90
Hayes & Harlington - Bedford route + Any Permitted CDS £23.90
Watford Jn - Bedford route Any Permitted CDS £18.40
Watford Jn - Bedford route + London: CDS £29.40
Willesden Jn - Bedford route + Any Permitted CDS £23.90
Willesden Jn - Bedford route Bletchley CDS £20.50
Willesden Jn - Bedford route West Hampstead: no CDS fare (SDS £22.50)
From these fares, we can see that all four Routeing Points related to the destination fail the fares check, and we must conclude that there are no mapped Permitted Routes at all for a £16.90 Off-Peak Day Return (CDR) Bedford - West Brompton route West Hampstead.

We therefore cannot proceed to Steps 5 - 7 of the Instructions, and must consider what Permitted Routes can be identified for this ticket from other parts of the National Routeing Guide.

National Routeing Guide - Instructions page 1 said:
Most customers wish to make journeys by through trains or by the shortest route. In both cases they will be travelling on a permitted route, provided the correct fare has been paid to reflect any routeing indicated by the fares manual. You only need refer to the Routeing Guide when a customer is not using an advertised through train or the shortest route. A through train is advertised in the passenger railway timetable as a direct service which offers travel between a customer’s origin station and final destination, as printed on the ticket for the journey being made. This route may not be a permitted route if a change of train is necessary to complete the journey. The shortest route is calculated by reference to the National Rail Timetable.

National Routeing Guide in Detail - page F9 said:
Journeys on direct trains or taking the route of shortest distance or a distance longer by no more than 3 miles are always following a permitted route.

http://www.atoc.org/clientfiles/File/RSPDocuments/nrg_detail.pdf

I think it is likely that the shortest route wholly by National Rail between Bedford and West Brompton, and passing through at least one station in West Hampstead Group (West Hampstead Thameslink or West Hampstead - see Instructions page 6 and the list of Group Stations), is:

Bedford - West Hampstead Thameslink - St Pancras - City Thameslink - Blackfriars - Denmark Hill - Battersea Park - Clapham Jn - West Brompton: 63.25 miles

Distance from National Rail Timetable

That route, and other routes not more than 3 miles longer, are likely to be Permitted Routes. This would include:

Bedford - West Hampstead Thameslink - St Pancras - City Thameslink - Blackfriars - Tulse Hill - Streatham Hill - Clapham Jn - West Brompton: 63.75 miles

We also know from this correspondence that sometimes walking between stations is permitted. Indeed, ATOC say it is required for some journeys. Unfortunately, the only such journey I know to be listed in the public domain is the Watford Jn - Harpenden route St Albans Abbey example in the correspondence, and that example is obvious because it is the only way to go from Watford Jn to Harpenden via St Albans Abbey without doubling back. There is no route wholly by rail.

But for Bedford - West Brompton route West Hampstead, matters are not obvious. The two examples above show that it is perfectly possible to make the journey from Bedford to West Brompton via West Hampstead Group wholly by rail without doubling back.

I think it is very likely that the ticket is valid by the following route, which includes walking between stations:

Bedford - West Hampstead Thameslink - (walk to) - West Hampstead - Willesden Jn - West Brompton: 52.0 miles

But I don't know if you have to make the journey by that route. I don't even know if ATOC believe that you have to do that. And even if they do, neither ATOC nor I know whether they are right.

The reason for this unsatisfactory position lies in the way in which the British railway system was privatised. The first National Routeing Guide was approved by the Rail Regulator in 1996. Responsibility for approval later passed to the Strategic Rail Authority, then to the Department for Transport. ATOC is a trade association whose responsibility is to its members - the train companies. It needs to consult Passenger Focus and obtain appropriate approval before changing the Routeing Guide. We know from responses to Freedom of Information requests that this process fell into disuse between 2003 and 2009. I believe that during this period many tens of thousands of journey opportunities were deleted. I have not seen any proposals to remedy this.

Is this ticket valid only on National Rail (ie. London Overground) services, or is its use permitted on the tube?
I would not expect this ticket to be valid on the Underground, but if the ticket does operate the barriers at both West Hampstead tube and West Brompton every day then the last use will be recorded on the magnetic strip and that could be helpful to any passenger who was accused of travelling off route. Break of journey would not be allowed within the tube system, and I would not expect the concession for passengers with tickets bearing the '+' symbol to apply allowing Zone 1 exit but not re-entry.

does the validity differ after the last LO service has departed on the return leg?
I don't know. Longer routes are sometimes allowed where there is no regular service by the shorter route, but I have not encountered such an easement where the last train is as late as 22:42.

Attachments

• 1996-09-18 Routeing Guide - ORR interim approval.pdf
    103.3 KB · Views: 4

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We also know from this correspondence that sometimes walking between stations is permitted. Indeed, ATOC say it is required for some journeys. Unfortunately, the only such journey I know to be listed in the public domain is the Watford Jn - Harpenden route St Albans Abbey example in the correspondence, and that example is obvious because it is the only way to go from Watford Jn to Harpenden via St Albans Abbey without doubling back. There is no route wholly by rail.
An excellent, comprehensive reply!

I can add some examples of tickets where walking between stations is required:

Stevenage to Broxbourne Route Hertford
(similar origins/destinations also produce this routeing)
Requires a walk between Hertford North & East stations. Quite a long walk in fact!

Widnes to Runcorn East Route Warrington
Requires a walk between Warrington Central & Bank Quay stations (3/4 mile)

Slough to Feltham Route Windsor
Requires a walk between Windsor & Eton Central & Riverside stations (very short)

Warrington Stns to Hindley Route Wigan
Requires a walk between Wigan North Western & Wallgate stations. This is shorter than some walks within large stations and is just across a road, but it still technically counts!

Runcorn East to Gathurst Route Wigan
I believe this requires walks through Warrington and Wigan! (or does it? Perhaps someone can investigate...)

Castle Cary to Crewkerne Route Yeovil (?)
They recommend a taxi, but is there now a bus? However until there was a bus, this could count as requiring a "walk" except the walk not being recommended.

There will be more, some of them may be harder to detect than these examples.

A possible one would be somewhere like Grantham to Rolleston, you could argue that this requires a walk through Newark (the counter argument that there is a train at 0559 from North Gate to Rolleston is null & void in my opinion as there is no train from Grantham to connect. Another possible argument is that it is valid via Collingham? If so, it could be argued the ticket may not "require" a walk, but would "assume" a walk, or only be practical with a walk)

wintonian

Established Member
Yes thanks John @ home for such comprehensive reply to a complicated subject.

I still maintain though that it may help the OP to try and gain a basic understanding of the routing guide, and then if they are having difficulty with any part of it we may find it easier to provide the necessary help.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....So, put simply, can I use my route West Hampstead ticket for the journey Bedford - West Hampstead Thameslink - tube - West Brompton?....

....And if this ticket is only permitted via Willesden Junction, why is it accepted on the West Hampstead station tube barriers?....

West Hampstead is on a dual availability route and I'm pretty sure both Willesden Jcn and West Brompton are too, but I can't check atm as the FRPP link I have isn't working.

However, on the assumption all are true, it is perfectly valid from West Hampstead to West Brompton by tube.

Fastis agrees that it is valid that way.

Carefree

Thanks John @ home for an excellent and comprehensive reply. If nothing else, I have a defence that should keep the relevant authorities busy for some time, should I ever be accused of travelling off-route!

I don't know whether the recent occasion on which this ticket passed successfully through the West Hampstead tube barriers was a one off, due the the engineering work taking place on LO at the time. My gut feeling, based on years of Thameslink Project engineering work requiring much re-routing of passengers through the Tube system, is that TfL are not usually minded to change ticket acceptance on barriers for anything as trivial as the temporary convenience of disrupted passengers. Whatever, I shall find out later today...

RJ

Established Member
One may transfer between two stations within a group, so long as the permitted route allows arrival at the first station and departure from the other. So something like Reading to Lee routed London Not Underground is fine to go into Paddington and out of Charing Cross as they're part of the same group and that route is permitted by the NRG, though it would seem that Waterloo is the intended route for this ticket.

Sometimes the cost of transferring within a group is included in the ticket price, the obvious example being London and the Maltese Cross, though it does get interesting when you get routes like +Not London and +Not Underground. Other examples may be where there's a rail link between two stations in a group. More often than not, the cost of that transfer is not included. The Yeovil stations appear to be quite some distance from each other, but the cost of bus transfer is not included. Going by the latest item on the Newsrail Express I presume there have been some complaints because of this.

Route West Hampstead, presume it has been chosen to help customers deduce the fact that they are permitted to change over to the NLL if they wish, it would be less obvious if the route was Luton for example.

b0b

Established Member
Other examples may be where there's a rail link between two stations in a group. More often than not, the cost of that transfer is not included. The Yeovil stations appear to be quite some distance from each other, but the cost of bus transfer is not included.

The Yeovil Group is no more, effectively replaced by Castle Cary.

John @ home

Established Member
Sometimes the cost of transferring within a group is included in the ticket price, the obvious example being London and the Maltese Cross, though it does get interesting when you get routes like +Not London and +Not Underground. Other examples may be where there's a rail link between two stations in a group. More often than not, the cost of that transfer is not included.

I don't agree with the part that I have highlighted in bold. My view is that, if any station within a group is included on a Permitted Route, then the whole group is included by the Group Stations rule.

National Routeing Guide - Instructions page 6 said:
Some stations are grouped together to improve interchange between trains by offering customers access to a wider choice of train services and station facilities. A customer may travel via any station in such a group, including doubling back, provided that the group is on one of the permitted routes between their origin and destination stations. This extended availability is for interchange purposes only and does not apply where the origin or destination stations are part of a group.

To take an example there are only five journey opportunities a day from Ulleskelf to South Milford, a rural journey in North Yorkshire. One appears to offer a total journey time of 24 minutes, and yorkie would have no difficulty with the 5-minute connection at Micklefield. But I doubt if I would be able to run down Station Approach, under the railway bridge, cross the Great North Road, and run up the ramp on the other side in 5 minutes!

Micklefield is rather a bleak place to miss a connection. Fortunately for me, it is a member of Leeds Group. So I could benefit by choosing one of the more leisurely journey opportunities (1hr 07 - 2hrs 28) and having a meal near Garforth station or a drink at Leeds station. The Group Stations rule ensures that my Ulleskelf - South Milford ticket includes travel (and doubling back) within Leeds Group.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
To take an example there are only five journey opportunities a day from Ulleskelf to South Milford, a rural journey in North Yorkshire. One appears to offer a total journey time of 24 minutes, and yorkie would have no difficulty with the 5-minute connection at Micklefield. But I doubt if I would be able to run down Station Approach, under the railway bridge, cross the Great North Road, and run up the ramp on the other side in 5 minutes!

Micklefield is rather a bleak place to miss a connection. Fortunately for me, it is a member of Leeds Group. So I could benefit by choosing one of the more leisurely journey opportunities (1hr 07 - 2hrs 28) and having a meal near Garforth station or a drink at Leeds station. The Group Stations rule ensures that my Ulleskelf - South Milford ticket includes travel (and doubling back) within Leeds Group.

Getting trickier from May too - with the connection at Micklefield down to 3 minutes if it's the journey I'm thinking of.

Carefree

Can confirm that the outward portion of the said ticket worked last night (a) through the inward barrier at West Hampstead tube; and, after being let out of the tube gate, (b) through the inward barrier at West Hampstead London Overground (the very same ticket).

From this I conclude that the ticket barriers in this area are in a right old mess, and have no relevance whatsoever as to whether the ticket is actually valid (as John @ home suspected)!

barrykas

Established Member
The steps in this calculation correspond to Steps 1 - 7 on pages 2 - 5 of the National Routeing Guide Instructions.

Step 1 - Routeing Point(s) for origin
In Step 1, we use the Routeing Point Identifier to find the Routeing Point(s) relating to the origin station. Bedford is a Routeing Point.

Step 2 - Routeing Point(s) for destination
In Step 2, we use the Routeing Point Identifier to find the Routeing Point(s) relating to the destination station. These are Clapham Jn, Hayes & Harlington Group, Watford Jn and Willesden Jn.

Step 4 - Appropriate Routeing Point(s)
In Step 4, we seek to identify Appropriate Routeing Point(s) for this journey. Bedford is the only Routeing Point for the origin.

We must compare Single fares, and we're interested in the validity of the Off-Peak Day Return (CDR), so we'll use Off-Peak Day Single (CDS) fares. It may seem logical to compare all the fares from Bedford. These are:If that were the correct calculation, then Willesden Jn would be the only appropriate Routeing Point for the destination.
Whilst you can use Off-Peak and Off-Peak Day Singles as part of the fares check, I'd suggest falling back on the Anytime or Anytime Day (as appropriate), as those are more widely available and tend to result in the "right" answer (fsvo "right").

But the rules quoted above are clear that we must compare the fare from the destination routeing point to the origin with the fare for the throughout journey from the origin to the destination. I don't know why the rules insist on this comparison. It gives surprising results
Using the SDS fares, however, gives the following:
  • Bedford - West Brompton route West Hampstead SDS - £22.50
  • Clapham Jn - Bedford route † Any Permitted SDS - £25.00
  • Hayes & Harlington - Bedford route † Any Permitted SDS - £25.00
  • Watford Jn - Bedford route Any Permitted SDS - £20.40
  • Watford Jn - Bedford route † London SDS - £30.00
  • Willesden Jn - Bedford route † Any Permitted SDS - £25.00
  • Willesden Jn - Bedford route Bletchley SDS - £23.80
  • Willesden Jn - Bedford route West Hampstead SDS - £22.50
From this, we can see the only "appropriate" routeing points (i.e. those where the fare is equal to, or less than, the through fare) are Watford Junction and Willesden Junction, making the permitted routes the mapped routes from Bedford to Watford Junction, and then the shortest route to West Brompton; or the mapped routes from Bedford to Willesden Junction, then the shortest route to West Brompton, both of which preclude travel via London IMO, though this can be inferred from the lack of Maltese Cross, and the fares via London all being more expensive.

YMMV, of course.

Cheers,

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.