• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routeing Guide and Boundary zone tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshValePsngr

Hi All,

I hope you can help me. I've been reading the routeing guide, and I can't seem to find the rules on how to determine valid routes for boundary zone tickets. Can anyone give any advice for this? For example what are the valid routes from Ash Vale to boundary zone 6?

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The Routeing Guide accounts for journeys rather than tickets, you should follow the rules of the Routeing Guide for the journey being made. There are occasions where this may not be possible, for example when using two Boundary Zone tickets, however, in these cases you should use routes to a midway point within the zone area.

AshValePsngr

Thanks for the quick reply. This intrigues me though, so if I have an Ash Vale to Boundary Zone 6 SDR Anytime day return, and an Anytime Day Travelcard I can choose any station within Zone 6 as my destination and use the route to that station as my route?

Sorry if I've misunderstood as I'm new to this.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There are several existing threads about this.

The Routeing Guide applies to tickets, not journeys, in this case the only logical thing to do is to look up the permitted routes from the applicable boundary station(s) to determine if the route you want to take is permitted.

Brucey

I was about to ask the same question about outboundary Travelcards.

So there is quite a bit of flexibility around the route one can take.

34D

Established Member
Unless its changed, boundary zone x tickets are only available to (or now, from) stations in the network card area.

Consequently, there are few places with the potential to offer anything unusual - for example Huntingdon has two logical boundary zone 6 places (just before hadley wood and just before crews hill) - I don't think anyone would try to assert that such a ticket were valid via Leicester or via Ely.

Equally, I think that one couldn't go into the zones and out again in order to reach your desired boundary zone 6 station (this is just my own logic).

If I asserted that boundary zone x tickets were valid on the same routes as the equivalent London Terminals ticket, could anyone suggest an example where this would be incorrect? Ignore please the oddments that are Heathrow Connect and High speed One.

John @ home

Established Member
there are few places with the potential to offer anything unusual
There are more anomalies south of the Thames.

For example, a Basingstoke - London Zones 1-6 Off-Peak Day Travelcard has two versions, "route Via Woking" and "route Any Permitted". There are also two routes for Basingstoke - Boundary Zone 6 fares, "route Via Reading" and "route Not Via Reading".

Coulsdon South is a Zone 6 boundary station. It is not on a Permitted Route Basingstoke - London. But there is a mapped (WX+CS) Permitted Route Basingstoke - Coulsdon South via Redhill.

Can an in-boundary London Zones 1-6 Off-Peak Day Travelcard route Any Permitted, together with a Basingstoke - Boundary Zone 6 route Not Via Reading Off-Peak Day Return, be used from Basingstoke to London via Redhill and Coulsdon South?

OwlMan

Established Member
The advice that I received from ATOC is as follows
An external Boundary Zones 6 ticket is valid as below:

It is only valid if used with a valid Travelcard/Freedom pass that covers zone 6.
It is valid to the first crossing of the outer boundary of Zone 6, using any permitted route (observing any fare related restriction) to any station within zones 1-6 that the associated Travelcard/Freedom pass is valid to.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Just to check that I have not missed anything important, I assume this would mean that John @ Home's interpretation above is correct?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The advice that I received from ATOC is as follows
An external Boundary Zones 6 ticket is valid as below:
It is only valid if used with a valid Travelcard/Freedom pass that covers zone 6.
It is valid to the first crossing of the outer boundary of Zone 6, using any permitted route (observing any fare related restriction) to any station within zones 1-6 that the associated Travelcard/Freedom pass is valid to.

This is very interesting! When did you hear this?

This is the sensible interpretation and more favourable than limiting routes to those to London. I would assume the same would apply to outboundary Travelcards - this would fit with NRE's journey planner.

The Routeing Guide accounts for journeys rather than tickets, you should follow the rules of the Routeing Guide for the journey being made.

I'll hand you that the RG talks about a "journey", but I think it has to mean that from origin to destination as printed on the ticket. Otherwise I could argue that a Reading-Swindon season plus Swindon-Taunton SDS would be valid via the B&H. Or, vice-versa, that a trip London-Leeds-Birmingham using two tickets needs to follow permitted routes from London to Birmingham, but the train must stop at Leeds.

I think the RG supports this in the introduction:
A through train is advertised in the passenger railway timetable as a direct service which offers travel between a customer’s origin station and final destination, as printed on the ticket for the journey being made.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I should have been more specific. I was referring to boundary zone fares (find me boundary zone 6 on a Routeing Guide map). For example Ash Vale to Coulsdon South (zone 6) is valid via Aldershot and Redhill.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I should have been more specific. I was referring to boundary zone fares (find me boundary zone 6 on a Routeing Guide map). For example Ash Vale to Coulsdon South (zone 6) is valid via Aldershot and Redhill.

Ah, makes sense now! Is this documented anywhere - and if so does it only apply to BZ tickets or also to outboundary Travelcards?

34D

Established Member
Coulsdon South is a Zone 6 boundary station. It is not on a Permitted Route Basingstoke - London. But there is a mapped (WX+CS) Permitted Route Basingstoke - Coulsdon South via Redhill.

Can an in-boundary London Zones 1-6 Off-Peak Day Travelcard route Any Permitted, together with a Basingstoke - Boundary Zone 6 route Not Via Reading Off-Peak Day Return, be used from Basingstoke to London via Redhill and Coulsdon South?

Before the later posts, I would have guessed 'probably not' however (assuming the veracity of the atoc quote) it is pretty clear.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Ah, makes sense now! Is this documented anywhere - and if so does it only apply to BZ tickets or also to outboundary Travelcards?

Not that I am aware of, it's how I was taught to deal with these issues back in '98.

The Out-boundary Travelcards should be treated the same way as they are Travelcards with travel to and from the appropriate* boundary zone station on top.

*I am not aware of any guidance as to what the appropriate boundary station is.

Status
Not open for further replies.