• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routeing Guide fare check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
When doing the fares check to determine Routeing Points, what happens if a fare on one route from or to a routeing point passes the fares check on one route but not another? Presumably the route is just considered valid via any route unless the ticket being used says otherwise.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
When doing the fares check to determined mapped routes, what happens if a fare on one route from or to a routeing point passes the fares check on one route but not another? Presumably the route is just considered valid via any route unless the ticket being used says otherwise.

Any route permitted by the fares check and maps and the routing printed on the ticket I would say is permitted.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
When doing the fares check to determined mapped routes, what happens if a fare on one route from or to a routeing point passes the fares check on one route but not another? Presumably the route is just considered valid via any route unless the ticket being used says otherwise.

The fares check rule is to determine appropriate Routeing Points, it has nothing to do with mapped routes.

If a station has more than one associated Routeing Point, you use the fares check rule to determine which are appropriate for use on that journey. Once you have decided which Routeing Points are appropriate you look up the map combinations.

Any route which can be traced from the origin Routeing Point to the destination Routeing point on the designated maps, in the stated order (or in reverse) without doubling back or returning to a previous map, is a permitted route unless a routeing on the ticket, and/or an easement, prohibits it.

Oscar

Fares Advisor
The fares check rule is to determine appropriate Routeing Points, it has nothing to do with mapped routes.
So the fact that a Routeing Point is only appropriate if using the fare for a particular route has no impact on the routes permitted by the original ticket (if, of course, it is marked as Any Permitted). The fare via a specific route from/to a Routeing Point just makes the Routeing Point appropriate and then all mapped routes from/to that Routeing Point are valid.

wintonian

Established Member
It does sort of have something to do with the maps in that we need to identify which routing points are appropriate to look up in the yellow pages which in turn teils us which maps to look at.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Ah, I see what you are driving at. The rule is that if the fare to the Routeing Point is equal to or less than the fare for the throughout journey, it is an appropriate Routeing Point.

It therefore follows that if the Routeing Point is only appropriate because of a route specific fare, then routes from that Routeing Point would have to be one that goes via that specific route, otherwise it fails the fares check rule. Although, I don't recall anything specific to that effect in the Routeing Guide.

wintonian

Established Member
Ah, I see what you are driving at. The rule is that if the fare to the Routeing Point is equal to or less than the fare for the throughout journey, it is an appropriate Routeing Point.

It therefore follows that if the Routeing Point is only appropriate because of a route specific fare, then routes from that Routeing Point would have to be one that goes via that specific route, otherwise it fails the fares check rule. Although, I don't recall anything specific to that effect in the Routeing Guide.

What if the ticket is any permitted do you have to compare the any permitted fares or can you choose to compare a via or not via fare if the price is more favourable?

wintonian

Established Member
I know this has been discussed before but just can't find it now.

So are we saying that only the type of ticket i.e. SDS, SVS, CDS etc have to be compared to like for like and the routing does not?

Oscar

Fares Advisor
I don't think so. The booking engines also don't seem to compare routings like for like in this instance.

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Right, I've had a quick look in the "Routeing Guide in Detail".

NRG Section F: Routeing Guide in Detail (page F4) said:

Any Routeing Point can be used, provided that it does not:

• Use routes not permitted for the journey.
  • Cause doubling back (passing through the same station between origin and destination).
  • Make the journey double back through the origin or destination unless the fare allows (for example Ealing Broadway to Swindon via London).
  • Allow travel by a route which does not satisfy the fares check rule.....

So it seems that the routeing on the fare is important, just not in the same way as the type of fare.

wintonian

Established Member
Right, I've had a quick look in the "Routeing Guide in Detail".

So it seems that the routeing on the fare is important, just not in the same way as the type of fare.

Yes page F4 makes quite a few mentions of "the fare" but what is "the fare"?

How are you supposed to do a fares check if you don't know what fares to check?

Do you just compare like for like (not always possible) or do you compare the routed fares as well and what effect does this have on an any permitted ticket?

Without clear answers to these questions I find I really struggle with the fares check.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I would compare the Any Permitted unless the same routeing is available from both the origin station and Routeing Point. As so often however, it is just guesswork.

A real example would be helpful.

wintonian

Established Member
I would compare the Any Permitted unless the same routeing is available from both the origin station and Routeing Point. As so often however, it is just guesswork.

A real example would be helpful.

My example is elsewhere, but I thought I would go with the flow of this thread for a bit as it is quite a general point as well as the question having a specific purpose ATM.

Status
Not open for further replies.