• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routeing Help: Ashford-Tunbridge W & London-Cambridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJRB

Established Member
This post is mainly to ensure I've got the hang of reading the routeing guide and to make sure I've got my information correct (both examples are completely separate):

First of all, from what I can tell an off peak day return Ashford International to Tunbridge Wells, is valid both via Tonbridge and via Hastings.

Secondly, an off peak day return from London Terminals to Cambridge is valid to/from both Liverpool Street and King's Cross (including the non-stop service).

Is the above correct? If so, is it correct to assume one could travel via one route and return via the other? Also, while I'm asking routing questions I may as well ask for clarification that an Ashford International-London Terminals ticket is valid from Stratford Regional to London Liverpool Street (not including the DLR from Stratford Int'l) too.

Thanks for putting up with my random questions and general lack of understanding and I hope I've got this all right! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

This post is mainly to ensure I've got the hang of reading the routeing guide and to make sure I've got my information correct (both examples are completely separate):

First of all, from what I can tell an off peak day return Ashford International to Tunbridge Wells, is valid both via Tonbridge and via Hastings.

Secondly, an off peak day return from London Terminals to Cambridge is valid to/from both Liverpool Street and King's Cross (including the non-stop service).

Is the above correct? If so, is it correct to assume one could travel via one route and return via the other? Also, while I'm asking routing questions I may as well ask for clarification that an Ashford International-London Terminals ticket is valid from Stratford Regional to London Liverpool Street (not including the DLR from Stratford Int'l) too.

Thanks for putting up with my random questions and general lack of understanding and I hope I've got this all right! :)

Not sure about the first two but can confirm a London Terminals tickets routed 'plus high speed' is valid into Liverpool Street via Stratford International but, as you correctly state, not valid on the DLR. You must use the walking route.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...Ashford International to Tunbridge Wells....
Valid Routes from Ashford International [AFK] to Tunbridge Wells [TBW]:

1. Direct trains from Ashford International to Tunbridge Wells
  2. Shortest Route: 31.5 miles
    • Ashford International
    • Pluckley
    • Headcorn
    • Staplehurst
    • Marden (Kent)
    • Paddock Wood
    • Tonbridge
    • High Brooms
    • Tunbridge Wells
    (Plus any routes no greater than 3 miles longer than the above route)
  3. Mapped Routes (both Hastings Group and Tonbridge are appropriate Routeing Points):
    Ashford International - HASTINGS GROUP: Ashford International - Tonbridge:
...London Terminals to Cambridge...

Valid Routes from London Terminals to Cambridge [CBG]:

1. Direct trains from London Terminals to Cambridge
  2. Shortest Route: 55.75 miles
    • London Liverpool Street
    • Bethnal Green
    • Hackney Downs
    • Clapton
    • Tottenham Hale
    • Northumberland Park
    • Angel Road
    • Ponders End
    • Brimsdown
    • Enfield Lock
    • Waltham Cross
    • Cheshunt
    • Broxbourne
    • Roydon
    • Harlow Town
    • Harlow Mill
    • Sawbridgeworth
    • Bishops Stortford
    • Stansted Mountfitchet
    • Elsenham (Essex)
    • Newport (Essex)
    • Audley End
    • Cambridge
    (Plus any routes no greater than 3 miles longer than the above route)
  3. Mapped Routes :
    LONDON GROUP - Cambridge:

If so, is it correct to assume one could travel via one route and return via the other?
If there is no "any permitted" option for a given flow, and you wish to do this, buy the cheaper ticket. The other portion can be excessed for half the difference in fares.

Ashford International-London Terminals

Valid Routes from Ashford International [AFK] to London Terminals

1. Direct trains from Ashford International to London Terminals
  2. Shortest Route: 54.25 miles
    • Ashford International
    • Pluckley
    • Headcorn
    • Staplehurst
    • Marden (Kent)
    • Paddock Wood
    • Tonbridge
    • Sevenoaks
    • Orpington
    • London Bridge
    (Plus any routes no greater than 3 miles longer than the above route; this includes the route you propose*)
  3. Mapped Routes :
    Ashford International - LONDON GROUP:
* The route proposed changing at Stratford is in fact shorter (at 53.25 miles) than what I believe is the shortest route (54.25 miles), however I do not think that this re-defines the shortest route as it requires a walk but others may disagree. Irrespective of that, it's a valid route because even if it isn't the shortest it is within 3 miles longer (at -1 mile longer). However this is a complex area, and one that we now usually cover in some depth in the fares workshops.

Last edited:

dzug2

There are two off peak day returns from London to Cambridge - one any prmitted and valid by either route, the other slightly cheaper and valid from Liverpool Street on GA trains only

MarkyMarkD

I can think of far cheaper ways to travel between Ashford and London Terminals, but I won't post them on the forum for fear of stopping them being available!

My suggestion explicitly (i.e. in a map) permits travel via Stratford International, Stratford London and Liverpool Street as well and is tried and tested.

I will send you a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.