• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routeing Maps: Perry Barr question

Status
Not open for further replies.

b0b

Established Member
On several of the maps, eg: CC, travel from Birmingham Group to Walsall Group is shown via Perry Barr.

however, looking at the maps, you can travel Birmingham New Street to Walsall avoiding Perry Barr, joing the Perry Barr line at Hamstead - so would that be disallowed if using Map CC?

It seem a bit of an odd limitation really, unless I'm failing somewhere since I don't have local knowledge of Birmingham.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
As far as I know, the routes by which travel may take place between adjacent routeing points on a map is not defined anywhere. We have therefore been working under the assumption that, unless otherwise stated, travel is allowed by any route which does not pass through any other routeing point.

Sometimes an marked intermediate location limits travel opportunities. My interpretation is that Walsall - Birmingham travel on maps BC and CC is allowed via Perry Barr only, not via Hamstead Tunnel, whereas either route is allowed if using map BP.

A similar situation exists for Leeds - York, where some maps identify the route via Harrogate and/or via Church Fenton and others show just one plain line joining Leeds to York.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
That's really just a diagram showing timetable numbers, not a map. It doesn't show the line via Soho / Handsworth Wood normally used by a couple of trains an hour, most of the day, which don't call at stations between Duddeston and Hamstead.

Surely the 'direct' trains rule, for routing purposes, applies anyhow?

Yes I see. Apparently the London Midland Network map shows the other line.

If the ticket held is Birmingham Stations - Walsall then I can't see a reason why not.

b0b

Established Member
I was beginning to wonder if the intermediate stations shown on the maps had no meaning (as there is no other way to go) but I think I've found one where the intermediate station is restrictive:

Maidstone Group to Ashford International. It's only valid on map LL, which shows you must go via Bearsted, limiting you to the service between Maidstone East and Ashford Intl

However it looks like you could do Maidstone West to Ashford Intl by changing at Paddock Wood without passing through any intermediate routeing point? Seems like LL would disallow this though.

It's not the direct route either and unlikely to be the shortest route (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.