• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routeing Query - Manchester Stns to Altrincham

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Hi all,

Very quick routing question as I don't have access to the Routeing Guide at present.

Is an Anytime Day Return between Manchester and Altrincham valid on Metrolink on the return journey? I'd like to go out via Northern and return on the tram.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
Don't take this as gospel unless someone confirms otherwise, but unless specifically stated to be valid on the Metrolink (e.g. the ticket is to SALE MTLK) aren't NR tickets only valid on that stretch on Sundays and Public Holidays?

BDY26

I live by the line at Alty and use both. AFAIK the tickets are not valid on each other's services except when services are disrupted. The NR staff at Alty always ask which mode you're travelling before selling you a ticket.

NR tickets marked with Manchester Ctrl Zone as the destination can be used between Deansgate Castlefield, Victoria and Picc.

Note the train is cheaper and quicker than the tram, but only an hourly service.

Ben

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
However I am aware of at least one occasion when several football fans got the tram (with no idea or expectation that the tickets may not be valid), with a train ticket and the inspectors didn't bat an eyelid. Perhaps it was due to the size of the group, I don't know. I had no idea it wasn't valid until I read about it on here. Like many others, I had previously assumed it would be no different to Newcastle-Sunderland (which also has an hourly train and much more frequent trams).

scrapy

Established Member
An Ashburys to Metrolink Zone G return ticket is certainly valid between Manchester and Navigation Rd by train for your outward journey (you could do the Navigation Rd to Altrincham bit by tram, or walk it in 10 minutes). You could return by tram to Piccadilly. This would be cheaper than buying 2 singles.

Just as a side point there is no ticket which allows you to go one way by tram and the other by train. A ticket from say Knutsford to Manchester CTLZ is (route any permitted) is only valid via Stockport, a ticket to Metrolink City is valid only via Sale(changing to Metrolink at Altrincham, even though it confusingly says 'route Altrincham' which could imply it is valid via Stockport as well as Sale). It would be a lot easier if there was just one ticket which is valid via both routes, or if they wish to continue with two different fares they should define them as 'route Stockport' and 'route Sale' to avoid confusion to passengers. This problem will become even worse when Metrolink interchanges with National Rail open at Rochdale, Ashton, East Didsbury and Manchester Airport open. Surely now is the time for a complete review of train and Metrolink tickets in Greater Manchester before these extra interchanges open. I would prefer a London style zonal system where the price is no different wheter you use metro or heavy rail.

Last edited:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Metrolink Zone G is an Add-on to the Manchester Stns fare. It is the same as a Wigan-Metrolink Zone H ticket not being valid for interchange at Eccles, despite being a potential changing point for Zone H.

scrapy

Established Member
Metrolink Zone G is an Add-on to the Manchester Stns fare. It is the same as a Wigan-Metrolink Zone H ticket not being valid for interchange at Eccles, despite being a potential changing point for Zone H.

Well If that is the case it needs to be made clear to passengers by the wording on the ticket which it is not. I used to regularly use a Hazel Grove to Metrolink Zone F ticket via Navigation Rd, and had no problems doing so either from Northern guards or Metrolink ticket inspectors (never have they even hinted that I should have taken another route. I can understand ticket not being valid for interchange at Eccles as they are two seperate stations, but I have been unable to find it written in any publication to say you must interchange at Manchester stations, nor can I find anything in the NFM. So I would argue it would be allowed, even if it is not the intended interchange.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Depending on any subsequent journies to be made would this be any use -

http://www.systemonetravelcards.co.uk/travelcards/details/daysaver-train-tram

As the OP mentioned getting an anytime day ticket rather than an off peak one, I would assume they are travelling before 09.30 on a weekday, so the system one day ticket would not be valid.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Well If that is the case it needs to be made clear to passengers by the wording on the ticket which it is not....

I would have thought that such a distinction would be made at the time of purchase, but then if you asked specifically for a ticket to a Metrolink destination, why would they think to tell you it's not valid on that part of the railway (especially given the rail only fare is generally cheaper).

....I used to regularly use a Hazel Grove to Metrolink Zone F ticket via Navigation Rd, and had no problems doing so either from Northern guards or Metrolink ticket inspectors....

I'm not sure a Metrolink ticket inspector would care what route you take, my personal impression of them is that they only care if you don't have an in date ticket, although I am happy to be corrected on that.

A Northern guard might not care, notice or know the distinction, they may consider the ticket to be off route rather than deviation to a new destination or over-distance. Off route would certainly be less work even if not strictly correct.

....but I have been unable to find it written in any publication to say you must interchange at Manchester stations, nor can I find anything in the NFM. So I would argue it would be allowed, even if it is not the intended interchange....

In the PTE section of 'The Manual', it states that they are add-on tickets for the Manchester Stns fare. It is also known that from Altrincham there is a rail ticket to Manchester and a Metrolink ticket (both available from any National Rail ticket office) but the Metrolink one is not valid on the railway between Navigation road and Manchester and the railway one is not valid on the Metrolink (from/to Altrincham), the same applies to Plumley, Knutsford, Ashley and Hale.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
As the OP mentioned getting an anytime day ticket rather than an off peak one, I would assume they are travelling before 09.30 on a weekday, so the system one day ticket would not be valid.

Actually I am using Priv, hence the Anytime fare. Sorry, should have clarified. The System One ticket is a useful suggestion.

markem41

I live by the line at Alty and use both. AFAIK the tickets are not valid on each other's services except when services are disrupted. The NR staff at Alty always ask which mode you're travelling before selling you a ticket.

NR tickets marked with Manchester Ctrl Zone as the destination can be used between Deansgate Castlefield, Victoria and Picc.

Note the train is cheaper and quicker than the tram, but only an hourly service.

Ben

Do you know if you can you still by a Rail Zone ticket from the Metrolink ticket machines to allow you to travel via tram & train?

TTI

PRIV is NOT valid at all on Metrolink. (Just as any railcards are NOT).

You are risking your staff travel facilities if you do "buy" a through rail ticket with PRIV on Metrolink. Have heard of a guard being sacked for deliberatly issuing such tickets under the gross misconduct "fraud" banner - believed to be "for himself/a friend" as, like PLUSBUS tickets, the machines 'let' you do it even though it's not allowed.

The only easement is that on Sundays, rail tickets "between Mouldsworth & stations to Manchester" are officially valid via Metrolink. Therefore (by association) any priv free pass/priv discounted tickets would also be valid under that Sunday easement.

I find it increduluous that, even in 2012, there is still no co-ordinated ticketing policy on the "shared" route bettween Altrincham & Manchester
on:
1. the interchangeability of tickets
2. the uniform of pricing
Metrolink prices change as per the GMPTE in November IIRC, whereas the rail tickets change as per the RPI formula each January. Crazy

Last edited:

clagmonster

Established Member
PRIV is NOT valid at all on Metrolink. (Just as any railcards are NOT).
The only easement is that on Sundays, rail tickets "between Mouldsworth & stations to Manchester" are officially valid via Metrolink. Therefore (by association) any priv free pass/priv discounted tickets would also be valid under that Sunday easement.
What about tickets route Metrolink (GM) between two stations in Greater Manchester for a cross Manchester interchange, eg Stockport-Rochdale for a Piccadilly-Victoria tram ride. I have seen such tickets railcard discounted, does the railcard discount invalidate them on a tram? Would a PRIV discount do this?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Similarly, is a PRIV/railcard ticket to Manchester CTLZ essentailly just a ticket to Manchester Stns?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
There are no Priv discounts on tickets to Metrolink destinations (so cross city travel should be fine on Priv tickets beyond Manchester).

Status
Not open for further replies.