• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routeing query

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Travelling from Cambridge to Banbury (Standard Off-peak return), is it permissible to go via Basingstoke? My attempt at checking the routeing guide suggests it is, travelling London Waterloo-Basingstoke on map WX (the direct SWT train?) and then Basingstoke-Reading-Banbury on map CS (with Crosscountry), but I'm not confident in my understanding of the rules, so I'd be very grateful if someone could confirm if this is correct or not.

Many thanks,
Richard.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
Travelling from Cambridge to Banbury (Standard Off-peak return), is it permissible to go via Basingstoke?

I agree with you. It is valid via Basingstoke (except on tickets routed "Not London") using maps CS + WX.

The Virgin booking engine will sell you tickets by this route. Curiously, the NXEC site offered to sell me singles but not returns.

John

me123

Established Member
Looks perfectly fine to me. However, make sure you are on an "Any Permitted" ticket, as some say "Not London".

Off Peak Return is priced at £53 and has restriction 4Q:

OUTWARD: Not valid on trains booked to arrive in London before 10am. You can not depart Paddington on certain trains between 1600-1915 inclusive, although if you're going to Waterloo this doesn't apply to you.

RETURN: Not valid for departure before 9:30am. Furthermore, not valid on departures from London King's Cross between 1730 and 1830 inclusive.

Only thing is, NXEC won't sell me this ticket for any trains for some reason :?

EDIT: If Virgin are selling it, I'll assume it's a flaw in the NXEC site. It looks perfectly valid with the restrictions I've listed above.

OwlMan

Established Member
You are allowed the following routes

Maps BB + CN
Cambridge - Leicester - Birmingham - Banbury (the route from Leicester can be via Coventry or Birmingham (or both))
Or Via London

From Cambridge to London Map WA-
either Kings X route or Liverpool St route

and after crossing London One the following

Map GC - From Marylebone (or Paddington) via West Ruislip

Maps CS +WR Via Reading to Paddington

Maps CS +WX via Reading and Staines to Victoria or Waterloo
or via Reading & Basingstoke or Guildford via Woking to Victoria or Waterloo

So yes you can

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.