• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routeing Question: Dewsbury - Birmingham Stns

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonic2009

Established Member
Sorry to ask, Im out at the moment.

Would you agree a Dewsbury to Birmingham Stations return is valid :

Dewsbury - Huddersfield - Denby Dale - Sheffield - Birmingham?.

Many thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Dewsbury is associated with the following Routeing Points (RPs): Huddersfield Group and Leeds Group.

Both RPs pass the fares check rule (for this flow), so both are appropriate.

Valid Routes from Dewsbury [DEW] to Birmingham Stations:

1. Shortest Route & routes up to 3 miles longer are permitted
  2. Mapped Routes :
    HUDDERSFIELD GROUP - BIRMINGHAM GROUP:

LEEDS GROUP - BIRMINGHAM GROUP:

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi Yorkie. Why the strange route between Manchester and Stockport (I know the Stalybridge Parly goes the wrong way)?
It's an error. No-one has yet devised an accurate shortest route calculator (and even if one is made that is considered accurate; it will probably not be universally considered to be accurate as a reasonable definition is unlikely to be the same as ATOCs definition, which is as yet undefined, nor do I particularly want it to be as all they will do is define it to be anti-customer and they shouldn't be the ones defining it anyway, but we're at risk of going off-topic ;)!) but several people are working on it.

Another shortest route calculator gives the mileage as 110 3/4 miles, with via Denton taken to to be the shortest route (which ATOC said it isn't as the shortest route from Stockport-Stalybridge is direct but shortest routes can apparently be different in different directions, however that is not what they've told the software developers!) which I don't think is, however when you force it to go via Manchester Piccadilly it gives a shortest route of 116 miles. So, if anything, the mileage given above is too short.

clagmonster

Established Member
For Sonic, from Yorkie's workings:
SY: Huddersfield-Barnsley-Meadowhall-Sheffield-Chesterfield-Derby
CE: Derby-Tamworth-Birmingham
I believe covers your requirements.

sonic2009

Established Member
For Sonic, from Yorkie's workings:
SY: Huddersfield-Barnsley-Meadowhall-Sheffield-Chesterfield-Derby
CE: Derby-Tamworth-Birmingham
I believe covers your requirements.

Thank you. Its for a journey for a friend of mine, she has to BOJ at Denby Dale at her boyfriends house. I wasn't 100% sure this was a permitted route.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.