• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routeing Question: Durham to Solihull (via Hull)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJSOnline

Hi all. Sorry if this question has been asked before but I have done a search and could not find the answer.

I am traveling from Durham around lunchtime on the 25th of April to Soluhull.

Coming back on the 27th after lunch but staying in Hull for the weekend, thus travelling back to Durham on the sunday via Hull.

What type of ticket do I purchase and how long does it last for ? I have a disabled adult card also.

Cheers.
Matthew

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A Durham (DHM not DRH) to Solihull (SOL) is not valid via Hull (HUL) so you can't just buy a DHM - SOL return and use that. One option would be to buy a DHM - SOL Off-Peak Return (restriction 2V so valid anytime after 0930 and anytime on weekends) at £61.45 and a Doncaster (DON) to HUL Anytime Return at £15.05 this combination should be valid for what you want to do as the return portion of the DHM - SOL Off-Peak Return is valid for up to a month and allows break of journey similarly the return portion of the DON - HUL Anytime Return is valid for up to a month. Total cost therefore £76.50.

It is possible to save a couple of quid using advances on some parts of the journey but that would restrict you to booked trains only and for saving a couple of pounds does not seem worth it. There might be other options but a quick play with splitting tickets on my part hasn't shown any drastic savings yet (but that doesn't mean there aren't any and if anyone can find them they'll be on this forum ;)).

MJSOnline

Hi Ainsworth74

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will ammed the title now. I was wondering if the ticket was vaild as it will be travelling via the ECML via XC ?

Matthew

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I will ammed the title now.

No worries we just have OCD about three letter codes round here ;)

I was wondering if the ticket was vaild as it will be travelling via the ECML via XC ?

It's a pretty huge detour to go out to Hull and back onto the ECML. Certainly National Rail says that you'd need multiple tickets to do it (and I couldn't get East Coast's website to offer any fares for a route that detours out to Hull).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Even if a detour was allowed, you'd not get further east than Gilberdyke as it would be doubling-back!

The a Durham-Solhull would be fine via Selby, but you'd need an Anytime Return from Selby - Hull as well.

Nym

Established Member
I thought that using Station Codes in lieu of full names was not permitted by the forum guidelines, even when correct?

To answer the actual question, you could split your return at Selby and purchase a Saver Return from there?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I thought that using Station Codes in lieu of full names was not permitted by the forum guidelines, even when correct?
The full name should be used initially, after that the abbreviations can be used (providing they are correct). It is preferable to put the abbreviations in brackets, the first time they are used, for clarity.

To answer the actual question, you could split your return at Selby and purchase a Saver Return from there?
An excellent and inventive suggestion, sir, with just two minor drawbacks:
1) There isn't a Saver Return from Selby to Hull, and
2) There's no such thing as a Saver Return any more.
But other than that, a damn fine plan!

(Also there's no need to "split" at Selby; it's about £7-8 cheaper to not "split")

Oscar

Fares Advisor
A Selby - Hull Anytime Return is £11.75 but you would need to travel from Doncaster to Hull via Selby (rather than via Goole) on your way up from Solihull and travel back to Durham via Selby and York or Leeds rather than Doncaster. You would not have these restrictions with a Doncaster - Hull Anytime Return.

MJSOnline

Hi all. Many thanks for you prompt response.

Ok, very daft question but here goes.

What tickets do I need to by online to get the route I will be doing ? I would rather do it online as I can chose my seats plus the staff at the Durham station, operated by East Coast, do at times ignore my request and put through the higher price tickets as it's easier for them.

Cheers.
Matthew

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
What tickets do I need to by online to get the route I will be doing ?

Well you need a Durham to Solihull Off-Peak Return then you need to decide which route from Doncaster you're going to take to Hull. If you go via Goole (this is the route with the highest frequency at roughly half-hourly) then you'll need a Doncaster - Hull Anytime Return. If you instead go via Selby (much lower frequency at approximately one train every two hours) then you'll need a Selby - Hull Anytime Return.

So:

Durham - Solihull Off-Peak Return £61.45

Then either:

Doncaster - Hull Anytime Return (note this is also valid via Selby) £15.05

or:

Selby - Hull Anytime Return £11.75

Status
Not open for further replies.