• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

routes/stock you would like to see

Status
Not open for further replies.

stockport1

dear santa,

given the crap/overcrowded/slow services in the north of england
id love to see these one day.

1 . liv lime street - man vic - leeds -york - scarbrough (HST)
2. liv lime street - man picc -stockport - sheffield - london (HST)

why dont we see more express intercity routes in the north?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route:oxford

Established Member
dear santa,

given the crap/overcrowded/slow services in the north of england
id love to see these one day.

2. liv lime street - man picc -stockport - sheffield - london (HST)

why dont we see more express intercity routes in the north?

For the your first route...

A 6 or 7 car 172 would probably fit the bill. They are essentially the modern version of the Class 124.

For my choice of route...

Pendolino from Perth to Reading (once the wires are up).

mallard

Established Member
What's the point of 2 exactly? Liverpool, Manchester and Stockport all have much faster, direct services to London. It would require a reversal at Sheffield (as for the current Liverpool-Norwich services) and Sheffield already has a good London service.

I suppose if you considered it a peak-time extension to some EMT London-Sheffield services it might make sense to increase passenger capacity over the Hope Valley, but even then, the train would be unlikely to carry many "through" passengers.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Dear Santa

Can I have North TPE electrification for Christmas?

Lampshade

Established Member

That one's already in the pipeline, although without HSTs.

We could have:

Liverpool Lime Street > St Helens Junction > Manchester Victoria > Todmorden > Mirfield > Wakefield Kirkgate > Doncaster > Gainsborough Lea Road > Lincoln > Sleaford > Boston > Skegness

It would require a reversal at Sheffield...

Not if it runs via Barrow Hill.

mallard

Established Member
Not if it runs via Barrow Hill.

Hope Valley-Sheffield-Barrow Hill-Chesterfield? Hardly a very direct route! It's probably quicker to reverse at Sheffield, although it does eliminate issues with having HST sets the "wrong" way round.

ginger

Dear Santa

I know everyone moans up north (and rightfully so) but they all seem to forget that down south in the Greater Anglia area we have some of the worst trains on the planet (with the exception of Mongolia) courtesy of National Disgrace East Anglia.......

Can we please have for Christmas the following (I know the list is long)

Some new EMUs for the Norwich express services......the current stock has had it....90s breaking down all the time......MKIIIs with their orignial IC70 seats.....toilets that are DISGUSTING.....thye are all ready for the scrap heap

The Class 321s.....where to start.....no full refurb since their introduction 24 years ago.....heating works in summer but not winter......windows blown and not replaced....bins that spill rubbish all over the place....toilets that are DISGUSTING......

Oh need I go on......you know!!!!!!

I know we have the clogs coming but they dont seem to have anything REAL on their Christmas list!!!!!

Do we have to wait another 3 years for your magic touch to put the 21st century back in the GREAT eastern mainline???

Please Santa can you hit those idiots in DAFT and get this sorted out......

Gathursty

Established Member
For Christmas I would like to board a 9-car Virgin Pendolino at Gathurst and disembark from it at Plockton and do the same in reverse later. :P

ginger

oh and I forgot to say thank you for the clogs at least cleaning the 321/4s........the poor souls travelling in them were getting fed up with being bitten by the millions of fleas that are living in the seats.....

I think National Express call it "value added service"

Status
Not open for further replies.