• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routing Guide Crawley-Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan Mayen

I'd like to check if I've got the correct routes for my season ticket which is Crawley-London Victoria (not London Terminals or a Travelcard). As it seems to have gone up almost 10%, I'd like to make sure I get as much out of it as possible, so am keen to check availability at intermediate stations.

The shortest route is Crawley - Quarry line (avoiding Redhill) - East Croydon - Streatham Common - Clapham Junction - Victoria.

Map VB allows Redhill - East Croydon - Crystal Palace - Herne Hill - Victoria, also East Croydon - Streatham - Herne Hill.

Map LB allows via
East Croydon - Streatham Hill- Victoria.

I believe Map VB would also allow East Croydon - Streatham Hill - Tulse Hill, so I could take the parliamentary train!

Have I missed anything?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nunners

I'd like to check if I've got the correct routes for my season ticket which is Crawley-London Victoria (not London Terminals or a Travelcard). As it seems to have gone up almost 10%, I'd like to make sure I get as much out of it as possible, so am keen to check availability at intermediate stations.

The shortest route is Crawley - Quarry line (avoiding Redhill) - East Croydon - Streatham Common - Clapham Junction - Victoria.

Map VB allows Redhill - East Croydon - Crystal Palace - Herne Hill - Victoria, also East Croydon - Streatham - Herne Hill.

Map LB allows via
East Croydon - Streatham Hill- Victoria.

I believe Map VB would also allow East Croydon - Streatham Hill - Tulse Hill, so I could take the parliamentary train!

Have I missed anything?

Thanks in advance.
This looks right to me. (The origin routeing point is Three Bridges, for reference)

But this is important to anyone in the future reading the thread: ONLY FOR A SEASON TICKET

This is because you must use both of the permitted route maps to do the journey desired. The journey essentially has to be broken into 2 - Crawley to Streatham Hill and Streatham Hill to Victoria.

Crawley to Streatham Hill is only valid by map LB. This is because Streatham Hill is in Streatham Group. This means that, on one journey, you would not be able to do Streatham Common - Balham - Streatham Hill as it leaves and re-enters Streatham Group (Please correct me on this point if I'm wrong). This means that the only valid route to Streatham Hill is via Crystal Palace, which is only on map LB. This means that the journey to Streatham Hill is only valid on map LB (please note: as it is a season ticket and valid to Balham via Crystal Palace and Streatham Common, it is valid to do East Croydon-Balham-Streatham Hill, but this counts as 2 journeys. Balham-Streatham Hill also uses map LB only, so my point still stands)

Streatham Hill to Victoria is only valid by map VB. Although map LB shows routes Streatham Hill-Tulse Hill-London group, none of these are valid to Victoria (again, correct me if wrong). This means that VB has to be used from Streatham Hill to Victoria (via Tulse Hill, Herne Hill and Brixton).

As 2 different maps have to be used, it counts as 2 different journeys (you are in effect terminating a journey short at Streatham Hill and starting another journey mid-way through) (3 journeys if going via Balham). It would therefore technically not be valid on a single or return ticket (although in practice it would be OK as all the bits of route are valid and you're not doubling back). However, it is valid on a season as you have unlimited journeys.

That's the useful thing about season tickets for routeing - you only have to prove that a bit of a line is valid for one possible journey, and then you have unlimited travel over it!

Hope this was useful, happy to be corrected on any of it.

Jan Mayen

Many thanks for your reply. I was hoping someone would come up with a way to use the ticket at other stations, but hey ho. However, I thought Streatham Hill (part of Streatham Group) was on map VB?.

Jan Mayen

Other than the rare occasions when direct trains are diverted that way, no. However, if anyone finds a way that I could legitimately go that way and break my journey at say Dorking, I'd love to know!

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
So no travel via Horsham and Sutton?

Other than the rare occasions when direct trains are diverted that way, no. However, if anyone finds a way that I could legitimately go that way and break my journey at say Dorking, I'd love to know!
How much more is a Horsham season ticket into Victoria than one from Crawley?

Assuming a ticket from Horsham would allow travel into Victoria via Sutton as well as via Three Bridges.

Jan Mayen

There isn't a season ticket Horsham - London Victoria, so you'd have to get one to London Terminals which is about £18 more. It would be valid via Sutton and East Croydon.

To be honest, I was hoping someone would be able to point out that it was valid via Peckham Rye or Clapham High Street to Clapham Junction or whatever. As it doesn't seem to be valid outside the routes listed above, I'll confine myself to those.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
No worries. Used to have a travelcard season ticket into London on the Brighton Main Line and often got one from an origin station further along the line (towards Brighton) as it was the exact same price as from my usual station, so as to allow the possibility of "free" reverse direction travel opportunities.

Seem to also recall that season tickets from the Southern end of the Brighton Main Line also allowed "free" travel on the East Grinstead line. Not sure if that is still the case.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There isn't a season ticket Horsham - London Victoria, so you'd have to get one to London Terminals which is about £18 more. It would be valid via Sutton and East Croydon.

To be honest, I was hoping someone would be able to point out that it was valid via Peckham Rye or Clapham High Street to Clapham Junction or whatever. As it doesn't seem to be valid outside the routes listed above, I'll confine myself to those.
Based on what I can tell, once you get past East Croydon that season is valid to Victoria via:
  • Selhurst, Streatham Common and Clapham Junction (the route most trains go)
  • Crystal Palace, Streatham Hill and CLJ
  • Crystal Palace, Herne Hill and Brixton (note that this also means you can travel from Clapham High Street to Wandsworth Road, or even Battersea Park on the Parliamentary train)
You can also travel over the following "deviations" and then as per above routes:
  • Streatham-Mitcham Eastfields-Balham
  • Norwood Junction-West Croydon-Selhurst
  • West Norwood-Tulse Hill-Streatham Hill
  • Norwood Junction-Sydenham-Crystal Palace
Arguably you could also travel on from Sydenham to London Bridge (via New Cross Gate), then back to Tulse Hill (via Peckham Rye), but that would depend on a rather 'favourable' interpretation of the Routeing Guide in Detail and I would foresee difficulties, with staff saying "you're travelling to the wrong London Terminal".

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Seem to also recall that season tickets from the Southern end of the Brighton Main Line also allowed "free" travel on the East Grinstead line. Not sure if that is still the case.
Are season tickets from Crawley (also from all stations on the route between Bexhill to Three Bridges, as well as from Brighton, Hove and Seaford) to Croydon and stations North thereof, also still additionally valid for unlimited use on the East Grinstead (and Uckfield) line(s)?

Might not be the additional validity that the OP was quite looking for but a potentially useful easement if still available!

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Are season tickets from Crawley (also from all stations on the route between Bexhill to Three Bridges, as well as from Brighton, Hove and Seaford) to Croydon and stations North thereof, also still additionally valid for unlimited use on the East Grinstead (and Uckfield) line(s)?

Might not be the additional validity that the OP was quite looking for but a potentially useful easement if still available!
There is interavailability for the following stations:
Ashurst (Kent), Buxted, Cowden, Crowborough, Dormans, East Grinstead, Edenbridge Town, Eridge, Hever, Lingfield or Uckfield.

Jan Mayen

Many thanks for all the replies. I understand that the interavailability was withdrawn some years ago, and you now have to buy a specific ticket AAA East Grinstead.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Many thanks for all the replies. I understand that the interavailability was withdrawn some years ago, and you now have to buy a specific ticket AAA East Grinstead.
There's a Crawley-London season routed AAA Haywards Heath but not AAA East Grinstead.

Veteran Member
There's a Crawley-London season routed AAA Haywards Heath but not AAA East Grinstead.
East Grinstead (or Crowborough) AAA Three Bridges is still available - but all these are London Terminals fares, not Victoria.

Status
Not open for further replies.