• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routing Taunton- Sussex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halsebee

Looking at Taunton Worthing off peak return via Salisbury, normal fare is £57 via Westbury and is available as usual for taunton Westbury Salisbury Southampton Cosham Barnham route. But train split gives other fares of £63.20 and £63.90 with split tickets. On closer looking these routes are either via Bristol or via Exeter, and involve a Taunton Barnham off peak return.
So my questions are,
1, is the normal Taunton Worthing off peak ticket valid via Bristol Bath Trowbridge, Westbury then as normal?

2. Why is the routing validity of a Taunton Barnham ticket valid via Exeter and a Taunton Worthing ticket not valid?

3. Presume if returning on Sunday 21st when lines through Castle Cary are closed, the Taunton Westbury off peak return would be accepted via Bristol as the normal route is shut?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chris Butler

It may be relevant or not relevant, but I recently took a Taunton to Basingstoke journey and checked routings 'via Salisbury' since there is a cheaper 'via Salisbury' fare. Per the routeing guide (assuming I used it correctly) the Taunton to Salisbury route 'via Exeter' is allowed, but 'via Bristol' is not. However the journey planner will show routeings 'via Bristol' at times of day when that is the faster routing even though I specified only 'via Salisbury' and did not force the planner to 'go' via Bristol.

In short, it is possible that some routings are valid by virtue of being offered by the journey planner rather than by virtue of the routeing guide.

OwlMan

Established Member
Barnham uses Havant as an appropriate routeing point and Worthing uses Ford.
If you are using the via Salisbury tickets there are mapped routes via Bristol to Havant but not to Ford.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
1, is the normal Taunton Worthing off peak ticket valid via Bristol Bath Trowbridge, Westbury then as normal?
No,
2. Why is the routing validity of a Taunton Barnham ticket valid via Exeter
Because it's a mapped route (on map SS)
and a Taunton Worthing ticket not valid?
You are asking why a Taunton to Worthing ticket routed via Salisbury is not valid via Exeter? My answer to that is that it is valid via Exeter (amp EU for Exeter <> Salisbury)

If you are asking about the validity of a different ticket, or a different route, feel free to specify and I will look it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.