• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routings allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

taylope1

So form what i can tell I can from Ockley (Surrey) to East Croydon using a season ticket on any permissible route. I am allowed to get off at Sutton (surrey) which I do as I work there. So, as the permissable route can be via Dorking Group or Horsham, am I allowed to get/on off at any station between Ockley and East Croydon and get off at any station between these 2 points on the permissible routes? From what I read I have unlimited travel... PLease help as this could save me a lot of money. Right now I board at Horsham and get off at Sutton but the ticket is for East Croydon as this saves me money. Never had any issues, but if i can do the same but use a ticket between Ockley and Croydon then great.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hkstudent

Established Member
So form what i can tell I can from Ockley (Surrey) to East Croydon using a season ticket on any permissible route. I am allowed to get off at Sutton (surrey) which I do as I work there. So, as the permissable route can be via Dorking Group or Horsham, am I allowed to get/on off at any station between Ockley and East Croydon and get off at any station between these 2 points on the permissible routes? From what I read I have unlimited travel... PLease help as this could save me a lot of money. Right now I board at Horsham and get off at Sutton but the ticket is for East Croydon as this saves me money. Never had any issues, but if i can do the same but use a ticket between Ockley and Croydon then great.
You can break your journey or start short your journey at any stations on the permitted route if you hold a season ticket.

I will let other people to advise the validity of via Sutton option.
Go check with a National Rail Journey Planner with via Sutton option to get some early ideas. Croydon Stations would be the one to search.

Last edited:

taylope1

Thanks for the reply. I guess my rationale behind this is that I have the option of using 2 lines to go from Oakley to East Croydon, but actually I want get out at Sutton going from Horsham. As my season ticket allows me to break the journey then in my mind I would reboots at Horsham on the way back from east Croydon and then get off at Sutton on my way to easy Croydon. Make sense!? So hard to explain this by typing

Veteran Member
You can break your journey or start short your journey at any stations on the permitted route if you hold a season ticket.

I will let other people to advise the validity of via Sutton option.
Go check with a National Rail Journey Planner with via Sutton option to get some early ideas. Croydon Stations would be the one to search.

Ockley to East Croydon via Sutton and Norwood Jn/Selhurst is valid (via Clapham Jn apparently isn't, which isn't surprising!), and Ockley to West C via Horsham likewise, but the OP is hoping to do Horsham to Sutton on that season, and the OJP won't answer that!

Thanks for the reply. I guess my rationale behind this is that I have the option of using 2 lines to go from Oakley to East Croydon, but actually I want get out at Sutton going from Horsham. As my season ticket allows me to break the journey then in my mind I would reboots at Horsham on the way back from east Croydon and then get off at Sutton on my way to easy Croydon. Make sense!? So hard to explain this by typing

Your ticket would be valid for unlimited journeys and break of journey via both routes, so what you are suggesting appears fine.

taylope1

Thanks for confirming. How do I get this officially sanctioned in case I get issues on the train/station?

akm

Not sure why you'd get issues. From Horsham to Ockley you're doing part of a journey from Croydon to Ockley on a permitted route, so you're fine; and then from Ockley to Sutton you're doing part of a journey from Ockley to Croydon on a (different) permitted route, so you're fine again. It would be the same with any origin and destination on a circular route where both sides are valid routes.

The real question is of course why is the Ockley - Croydon weekly season only £57.00, when the Horsham - Sutton weekly season is £83.80, but that's a question only Southern could answer...

paul1609

Established Member
The real question is of course why is the Ockley - Croydon weekly season only £57.00, when the Horsham - Sutton weekly season is £83.80, but that's a question only Southern could answer...

I'd imagine that the Ockley price takes in to account for genuine customers the last train to call at Ockley (in either direction) on a Saturday is 18.25 and there is no Sunday Service. Of course if large numbers of Horsham commuters start using it or posting its routing oddities on internet forum that may change!
I suspect that the Ticket may well not operate the ticket barriers at Horsham either which may of course bring it to staffs attention.

taylope1

I just went to the station. The ticket guy said it should be fine. If i get issues with barriers then show the ticket to the bloke and he will let you out. I have written to NRE for an official response but looking good. Just saved myself £1000 net a year....happy Xmas. FYI , I use a ticket from Horsham to Croydon now and the barrier at Sutton works just fine, so the only issue could be at Horsham. Fingers crossed. I will post the reply from NRE (if i get one).

taylope1

BTW, if i buy a season ticket and they change the rules then is it still valid until next renewal...assume it is a T&C's at time of purchase should apply.

island

Veteran Member
The general consensus is that the rules can’t be changed after the ticket is purchased, and the ticket will remain valid by any route that was valid at time of purchase, until it expires.

That isn’t to say you will avoid all practical difficulties, of course.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I just went to the station. The ticket guy said it should be fine. If i get issues with barriers then show the ticket to the bloke and he will let you out. I have written to NRE for an official response but looking good. Just saved myself £1000 net a year....happy Xmas. FYI , I use a ticket from Horsham to Croydon now and the barrier at Sutton works just fine, so the only issue could be at Horsham. Fingers crossed. I will post the reply from NRE (if i get one).
The last time I had a discussion with someone from NRE I was given all sorts of inaccurate information; frankly I wouldn't trust them to open a tin of sardines that was already open.

The experts are on this forum, not answering emails, tweets or calls at NRE, trust me! ;)

The problem with trying to bring savings to the attention of people is that you increase the risk that someone may decide to attempt to increase the price of the cheaper fare (whether they are allowed to do that or not may vary depending on the circumstances)

paul1609

Established Member
The problem with trying to bring savings to the attention of people is that you increase the risk that someone may decide to attempt to increase the price of the cheaper fare (whether they are allowed to do that or not may vary depending on the circumstances)

I know one of GTRs pricing managers. Generally they know about these anomalies that in many cases they inherited from BR days. It only becomes an issue when existing revenue suddenly drains away as a result of publicity of the cheaper fares. Probably just being posted on here wouldn't be an issue (he trawls on here) the problem comes when it is picked up by local journalists like the New cross split.
Since in GTRs case they are effectively managing the fares income on behalf of the DFT it is a moot point whether there is official approval or not.

taylope1

So what now ?.. I’ve asked them to explain why not.
=====================================
Thanks for taking the time to email us. I understand that you would like to know if a season ticket for the journey from Ockley to Croydon will be valid to travel from Horsham to Sutton.

I would like to inform you that this season ticket won't be valid to travel from Horsham to Sutton.

I trust I have managed to answer your query, and I hope you have a nice day.

Thanks again for contacting us. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Kind regards

(Name removed)
Customer Relations Team

taylope1

I know one of GTRs pricing managers. Generally they know about these anomalies that in many cases they inherited from BR days. It only becomes an issue when existing revenue suddenly drains away as a result of publicity of the cheaper fares. Probably just being posted on here wouldn't be an issue (he trawls on here) the problem comes when it is picked up by local journalists like the New cross split.
Since in GTRs case they are effectively managing the fares income on behalf of the DFT it is a moot point whether there is official approval or not.

Can we hide or remove this thread then ?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They are not given training on how to determine if a route is permitted.

You could ask them why it's not valid, and what routes are permitted, to demonstrate how useless they are.

But if you want an accurate answer just ask the experts here not NRE.

taylope1

They are not given training on how to determine if a route is permitted.

You could ask them why it's not valid, and what routes are permitted, to demonstrate how useless they are.

But if you want an accurate answer just ask the experts here not NRE.

I trust you guys more then them for sure. I think I’ll go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.