• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Routings from Warwick Parkway

Status
Not open for further replies.

dzug2

I recently travelled from Warwick Parkway to Urmston and back using an off peak return

The journey planner gave as one option a routing via Birmingham (change stations) and Liverpool South Parkway. However the conductor on the Northern train on the final leg was reluctant to accept that the ticket was valid - partly I think because he didn't have a clue where Warwick is. He was eventually persuaded - or gave up trying.

Can someone reassure me that the journey planner was correct?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Warrington (easily) passes the fares check, so Warrington is an appropriate Routeing Point, but there doesn't appear to be a way from map BM to map NR via Liverpool South Parkway.

It's possibly valid in the electronic maps, which we don't have access to.

The fact that an itinerary is given validates the ticket anyway. Did you purchase the ticket in conjunction with an itinerary, and if so did you produce the itinerary? If so it doesn't matter if it's a mapped route or not.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The London Midland website (WebTis) gives travelling via Liverpool South Parkway as a valid itinerary, but the National Rail Enquiries website does not, saying that two tickets are required.

I would say that in future you are better off buying online from London Midland, or another Toc with a booking engine that offers this routeing, and then you will be provided with an itinerary.

The National Rail website says ''When you book your journey online, any ticket offered in connection with the timetable or itinerary produced by the journey planner will be accepted as a permitted route.''
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types.aspx#routing

dzug2

I bought the ticket at Warwick Parkway - perhaps I should have printed out a sample itinerary the evening before, but it was touch and go whether I would make the trip at all so I didn't want to buy online.

I used the FGW site to plan

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I bought the ticket at Warwick Parkway - perhaps I should have printed out a sample itinerary the evening before, but it was touch and go whether I would make the trip at all so I didn't want to buy online.

I used the FGW site to plan
If you have a mobile device e.g. a smartphone, you can buy online and, if booking through a WebTIS website (LM, FGW, EC, Southern, etc) the tickets should be available immediately.

I'd recommend using the Southern website, and in the very unlikely event of the tickets not printing, you'd buy another from the ticket office and make an online claim under Southern's Money Back Guarantee, with no quibbles.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You could also ask the clerk in the station to print an itinrary of the route their TIS recommends when you buy the ticket. This may or may not match WebTIS or NRE.

Status
Not open for further replies.