• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rover tickets in light of current restrictions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpethcurve

1) I have a chance to do a couple of days HST bashing on a Freedom of the South West rover in June. Is it even practical these days, in terms of space available, reservations etc.?

2) I've scanned the list of all UK rovers/rangers and can't find one which would allow me to ride LNER Mark 4s between KGX and LDS (YRK would be too early). Have I missed one? I know I could use a North East rover as far south as Retford but thats a little restrictive.

Many Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
1) I have a chance to do a couple of days HST bashing on a Freedom of the South West rover in June. Is it even practical these days, in terms of space available, reservations etc.?

2) I've scanned the list of all UK rovers/rangers and can't find one which would allow me to ride LNER Mark 4s between KGX and LDS (YRK would be too early). Have I missed one? I know I could use a North East rover as far south as Retford but thats a little restrictive.

Many Thanks

There’s not a rover for the full ECML from Leeds to KGX - the North East Rover is your best bet.

Whilst GWR do mark their trains as reservations recommended/mandatory, I’m sure you’d be fine just jumping on as long as you had a backup train as an alternative incase they were full.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Peterborough to Doncaster on an East Midlands Rover.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/pr5d12850a04000400040ae307313d19.aspx

Seven day season from Doncaster to Leeds is £63.70. Is a seven day season from Doncaster to York (at £64.40) valid via both Leeds and direct?

Last edited:

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I've used a plethora of services this week with an ALR, many of which are marked mandatory reservation. GWR services have been absolutely fine without reservations.

Even on LNER, where it is genuinely compulsory, there's still Coach C if you're desperate or like me, tried to reserve on more than two services in a day.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
For Q1, I did a fair bit of travelling last week in the South West (including HST's) and none of them struck me as overly crowded.

Go ahead and enjoy.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Even on LNER, where it is genuinely compulsory, there's still Coach C if you're desperate or like me, tried to reserve on more than two services in a day.
Two services a day? I regularly reserve more than that.

james60059

I did a West Midlands Day Ranger yesterday and had no issues really, only niggle was CrossCountry not allowing me to to a 10 minute reservation for the 19:22 Birmingham New Street - Nuneaton. No hardship though, I just went via Coventry with West Midlands Trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.