• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rovers/Rangers and Bank Holidays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Is Good Friday classed as a Bank Holiday if you have a ranger or rover ticket which is restricted to after 0915 on Monday - Friday?

Do different TOC's treat it differently, or is there a national agreement?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Good Friday is a bank holiday in the UK, just like the first non-weekend day in January, the first Monday in May, and so on. If a restriction code is expressed "by any train on Saturdays, Sundays, and bank holidays" or similar verbiage, then that is how it works.

Note that there are some restriction codes that are not lifted on bank holidays, for example C4.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
It is claseed as a bank holiday where I work, but I am aware that a lot more people work on Godd Friday compared to other Bank Holidays.

It's just as confusing with buses. Sme companies treat it a s normal day, soem as a Saturday and others as a Sunday. Some operators in the past seemed to have different timetables for different routes, like running a Saturday service on one and a Friday service on another!

Seacook

It is claseed as a bank holiday where I work, but I am aware that a lot more people work on Godd Friday compared to other Bank Holidays.

It's just as confusing with buses. Sme companies treat it a s normal day, soem as a Saturday and others as a Sunday. Some operators in the past seemed to have different timetables for different routes, like running a Saturday service on one and a Friday service on another!

According to the Directgov site neither Good Friday nor Christmas Day is a bank holiday - they are public holidays http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_073741

I imagine most people think of bank holidays and public holidays as interchangeable, but apparently not.

The rovers and rangers I have looked at on the NRE site mention bank holidays but not public holidays. .
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

----
island beat me to it, I see.

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
So the question should be whether the railway treats public holidays the same way as bank holidays then?

34D

Established Member
Is Good Friday classed as a Bank Holiday if you have a ranger or rover ticket which is restricted to after 0915 on Monday - Friday?

Do different TOC's treat it differently, or is there a national agreement?

I'd email the TOC who's station you are planning to buy said Rover at (and/or the TOC who prices it/the TOC who's train you plan on using first thing on Good Friday) and get their written answer, in order to cover yourself.

Its all very well the experts on here agreeing with the interpretation, then one clerk refusing to issue it.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I'd email the TOC who's station you are planning to buy said Rover at (and/or the TOC who prices it/the TOC who's train you plan on using first thing on Good Friday) and get their written answer, in order to cover yourself.

That's good advice, though I'm not planning on starting very early, it just makes a difference if I take the 0830 rather than the 0930!

island

Veteran Member
Really LOL! Perhaps you could link to the statutory instrument or act which repeals it?

Public holidays in England and Wales are, would you believe, an exercise of the Royal Prerogative, and set every year by HM, not by a statutory instrument or act.

tony_mac

Established Member
The act is still in force

http://www.tuc.org.uk/extras/bankholidays.pdf

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, both Christmas Day and Good Friday were traditional days of rest and Christian worship (as were Sundays) and did not need to be included in the Act.
(of the 1871 act)

Bank holidays designated since the 1971 Act are appointed each year by Royal
Proclamation.

The use of words Public & bank holidays is confusing. The National timetable uses both.
Presumably the Banks will be open Good Friday!
Can I assume there will be a normal service running on Good Friday?
Quote - Complete Railway Timetable BHX Does not run on designated Bank Holidays 30 May,29 August
There is no Public/ Bank holiday on the 30th May 2012!! They have put 2011 dates.

island

Veteran Member
The terms used interchangeably, but it seems they shouldn't be!

First class

Established Member
As for railcards:

(In relation to no minimum fare requirement)
Any day in July and August, any Saturday, Sunday and Public Holiday with any ticket type
That is from the ATOC page for railcards.

It appears that ALL TOCs then refer to ticket restrictions as "Bank Holidays". All entries in The Manual use "Bank" not "Public", unless it is an ATOC managed product.

Standard Class Anytime Return/Single

Customers travelling using this product on a Saturday, Sunday or Bank Holiday can upgrade to First Class on Virgin Trains services FREE OF CHARGE.

34D

Established Member
We then have public holidays on scotland but not Wales.... Etc. I note that the wording says "bank holidays" or "public holidays" not "holidays appropriate to the origin station". Great thread though

island

Veteran Member
The question of whether to apply England/Wales or Scots bank holidays is comparatively simple. The NRCoC says that tickets sold in Scotland for travel entirely within Scotland are under Scots law, and everything else is the law of England and Wales. It follows that Scots holidays apply in the former case.

Status
Not open for further replies.