• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Royal Mail Drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtradj

Can anyone tell me who drives the Royal Mail trains? Do they have their own drivers or is it contracted out to freight companies?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eyersey468

Established Member
Have they reintroduced the mail trains? I thought they were done away with a few years ago, or have I misunderstood?

Mills444

Have they reintroduced the mail trains? I thought they were done away with a few years ago, or have I misunderstood?
I believe he means the 325s which only transport mail in cages the traveling post offices were done away with a while ago

HLE

Established Member
Yes the 325’s are still going, with services mainly to or from Willesden parcel depot

Spartacus

Established Member

Contrary to popular belief mail was off the rails for less than a year in total.

Taunton

Established Member
The whole concept of the Royal Mail has however changed, TPOs were all about rapid overnight distribution of first class mail. Individual letters have now largely disappeared, with the advent of (in particular) email and other instant transmission approaches, but been replaced by substantially more packages, mail order, etc, along with mailed confirmations of electronic transmissions. The overall tonnage to be moved has actually increased as a result, which favours bulk transport systems like rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.