• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Royal Mail "Mail on Rail" Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

southy39

Does anyone know if Royal Mail are going to renew their contract with GBRf for the operation of Mail on Rail Postal services.

its just with GBRf just taking 87006,87022 and 87028 to bolster 87012 and 87019 it looks like they must have some idea...

i mean they are unlikely to take on the extra expense of 3 additonal loco lease charges if they are gonna lose the contract within 8 weeks....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jonb

Established Member
Royal Mail have taken on more 87's because the 325's will now be acting as Vans because their panto cars are being taken out.

Julian G

Established Member
jonb said:
Royal Mail have taken on more 87's because the 325's will now be acting as Vans because their panto cars are being taken out.
Bring it on!!! :P

southy39

jonb said:

NOT Roayl Mail ...
the additional Locomotives have been taken on by GB Railfreight "GBRf"

all i was asking is f GBRf will retain the contract after March when the existing contract ends

Sprog

Established Member
It would appear so yes....theyve pretty much assured it...

I mean, no1 else but possibly EWS could do it (no suitable traction)

Summits been going on between GBRf and RM 4 a while i think........

I just hope they re-instate the Bristol RMT trains. That lovley purpose built terminal is jst rotting away..... :x :(

southy39

i would imagine that given the trial operation of 47840 and the 325 units to bristol could pave the way for a regular bristaol mail service...
only real problem with trying to operate such a service is lack of suibtable stok...
all GBRf have are the 66's which are used for NR contracts... Intermodal... and soon to be tube renewals...

the 73's are similar in use is booked mainly for nr contracts
and with only 1x class 47 could prove a bit difiult unless GBRf source adtonal suitable Diesel locomotives...

and even then the only "vans" they have ARE the 325's

RJ

Established Member
Maybe EWS could lease 47727 which is succuuming to the effects of the elements at Wembley. Also, I think that there are some EDs in Stewarts Lane which may be of some use.

southy39

joea1 said:
Maybe EWS could lease 47727 which is succuuming to the effects of the elements at Wembley. Also, I think that there are some EDs in Stewarts Lane which may be of some use.

things like that dont come under EWS anymore..
those sort of deals are now under Axiom Rail

metrocammel

joea1 said:

Well this is the problem that GBRf have, haven't they?

EWS have literally hundred of vans, and pcv's. They use a handful for the DHL "money-trains" that carry money and parcels from Wallsall to Mossend, and also up to Aberdeen. The rest are rapidly decaying, exposed to the elements, and it the same story with their locos. They of course will not be wanting to sell or lease them to GBRf, as they are a rival company. So, GBRf are having to make-do-and-mend with the unreliable Royal Mail owned 325's, as EWS used them on behalf of Royal Mail, but never actually owned them, hence the reason they never carried any form of EWS branding. Now Im not sure who owns the 325's, but afaik they are still owned by Royal Mail, but leased or whatever to GBRf. The descion to isolate the traction motors / take out the motor coach isn't a surprise as they are notorious for failures, but the end of the day, they are not designed to be hauled stock, and do not seem perfect for going to places like Bristol or Aberdeen - whereas the mail vans, which EWS has, are perfect for that - but EWS simply wont sell / lease them to a rival.

Status
Not open for further replies.