• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Royal Mail question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
I ordered a paperweight from Pitcairn Island at Christmas at standard delivery price and wondered how long it normally takes for a small parcel to get to the UK from there?

Asking now given a certain ship is blocking the route from Pitcairn to here (doubt it's going through Panama or being flown).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XAM2175

Established Member
Because Pitcairn has no air service all post from the islands is first carried by sea to New Zealand. I would expect that it would be then carried by air from NZ to the UK, unless it was sent at non-air rate.

mailbyrail

Even in normal days before covid, there were only supply boats every 3 months, plus irregular ships that picked up mails, so depending upon timing of orders, it could take 3 - 6 months. There have never been flights to Pitcairn. Given that everything travels via New Zealand, it could well be June or even later.

Gathursty

Established Member
Even in normal days before covid, there were only supply boats every 3 months, plus irregular ships that picked up mails, so depending upon timing of orders, it could take 3 - 6 months. There have never been flights to Pitcairn. Given that everything travels via New Zealand, it could well be June or even later.
I ordered it in time for the December ship to leave.

mailbyrail

According to New Zealand Post, mail to UK (including small parcels) is 6 - 18 days by air. All post from Pacific Islands is quarantined for a week on arrival into NZ. If it's airmail from NZ then I'd say anytime in the next couple of months, it's surface from NZ, I'd still say June if the canal opens in the next few days.
I ordered something from Hong Kong in early November that arrived by airmail in UK in early March.

Gathursty

Established Member
Update: after 180 days, it arrived after a journey of at least 9000 miles!!!

Attachments

• 20210616_193314.jpg
    20210616_193314.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 26
Status
Not open for further replies.