• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Royal Train in cardiff this thursday 26th April.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cragdrummer

Hi All, does anybody on here know what time the Royal Train is expected to arrive at Cardiff Central on Thursday for the queens tour of S-Wales? And also what the protocol is for being on the platforms when it arrives (will the station be shut down, and access denied etc)

Would love to get some photos of the train arriving if poss!

Many thanks

Craig :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TGVDUDE

If times can be found, very unlikely as Royal Train 'gen' is of high security, then you may be better off going for a shot outside the station on a nearby bridge in case there is a proceadure on the station, not that I know of myself, I'd also be interested in times for if the train will head further west than Cardiff at all? A long shot I know :)

Pen Mill

Still on the Royal Train but different visit.
The Queen is due in South Somerset next Wednesday 2nd May and the itinerary (not rail) has been announced on local TV news and Internet Press:-
http://www.thisissomerset.co.uk/Que...leased-royal/story-15900873-detail/story.html

so not all cloak and dagger.
Arrival at Pen Mill announced for 10 AM .

I'm sceptical about getting near Pen Mill and I'm not sure from which end she's coming in , Weymouth with a reversal or Castle Cary so planning an alternative photting location is not easy.

cragdrummer

If times can be found, very unlikely as Royal Train 'gen' is of high security, then you may be better off going for a shot outside the station on a nearby bridge in case there is a proceadure on the station, not that I know of myself, I'd also be interested in times for if the train will head further west than Cardiff at all? A long shot I know :)

Hi, thanks for the reply. Thats a good idea, I might head out to this bridge here tomorrow and 'suss' it out as a potential spot. Being local, iv seen it loads of times but never used it. Should get a nice slow approach shot. Il also head over to central to ask if all the platforms will be closed whilst its in.
The details on this site are very sketchy (for the offical Jubilee site) but states she is heading down to Margam before heading to Merthyr. Weather that will be by rail is anyones guess! She is also overnighting in s-wales and is in Aberfan (just outside Merthyr) the following day. That leads me to belive she wont be using the train up the valleys as i cant see ATW being to pleased not bein able to access Merthyr station for the duration while they park the train there! However they could drop her off and then ECS back down to Canton over night i suppose and then go back up when required.

steamybrian

Established Member
Timings of Royal Trains are usually confidential. It is protocol not to mention it in advance.
Access to platforms near to the royal train are usually prohibited
In the past I have been at Victoria station in London when the Queen has arrived or departed. She has used a separate platform, separate part of the station,
A train was stabled in the platform adjacent to the Royal Train to screen it from the rest of the station. Photography was virtually impossible because of security staff.
Sometimes even footbridges and overbridges are closed whilst the train is approaching.!!!!
Finally to remember that other members of the Royal Family or top Politicians frequently use the rail network but it is never advertised , publicised or recorded because if they make reservations they use false names or in the names of their secretaries, etc.

Last edited:

moonrakerz

Access to platforms near to the royal train are usually prohibited...................................Photography was virtually impossible because of security staff.

Really ?

I asked (nicely !) to go onto the platform to take photos - no probs. If you look carefully the cab is empty and the door open - I can drive a Mondeo but not a 67 :lol: The main entrance was shut to the public, but the side gate was open. The footbridge was in use, but with a policeman in attendance.

Low key security is often the best !

I got the train times from the local newspaper office.

2cj7rd.jpg

34zllqh.jpg

34xhkt1.jpg

How do they keep that thing so clean ? It had been stabled 20 miles away during the visit and there wasn't even a splatted fly on the front of it ........

steamybrian

Established Member
The photos that moonrakerz took appear to be of the empty train after the Royal Family had departed. My comments refer to when the Royal Train was occupied and when they are boarding or alighting fronm the train
I agree that sometimes timings of the arrival of Royal Trains are announced in advance particularly on official visits.

moonrakerz

The photos that moonrakerz took appear to be of the empty train after the Royal Family had departed. My comments refer to when the Royal Train was occupied and when they are boarding or alighting fronm the train

Just how do you arrive at that conclusion ? Your powers of deduction are amazing - but WRONG ! Please enlighten us as to how you came to your conclusion............................
Just because there was no one giving the "Royal wave" from a train window you obviously think that the train was empty.

The train WAS occupied - do you really think I was making up a story ??

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
I suppose the question has to be asked, how do you know it was occupied?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

steamybrian

Established Member
I am not here to argue so apologies if i was wrong!

During my railway career of 33 years I was given specific instructions many times that for Royal Trains :
No timings must be given to any member of the public even if it was announced elsewhere. It was frustrating sometimes that a public announcement was made before hand about arrival times but rail staff were told to keep silent.
Areas that the Royal Family using should be declared security cleared and sealed off to the public. Where the train was to stand for boarding or alighting then adjacent bridges should be closed to the public.
On several occasions I was given tickets to the spectators enclosure adjacent to arrival platform (no.2) at Victoria to see the Queen arrive on the train. All spectators were throughly searched before entering the area and all photography was prohibited. Security staff found some cameras on a few people which were confiscated.It was also frustrating because the streets outside were lined with people and the Press taking photos.
Whether or not security has lapsed in recent times is questionable although obviously security of the Royal Family is a subject that should not be discussed here.
From your photograph it matches the theory during my railway career that after the Royal Family had left the train security seemed to relax and prohibited areas were opened.

moonrakerz

I suppose the question has to be asked, how do you know it was occupied?

I was stood just in front of the loco (on the platform !) and saw Charlie get into the second coach - which is why I photographed the second coach as it passed me - just in case he did give me a wave.

I was amused when the train arrived (empty) that there was a young FGW lad in suit, collar and tie and orange surcoat stood just in front of me to indicate where the driver should stop - chalk mark on platform too ! This was so that the door for HRH to board the train was directly opposite the door from the booking hall onto the platform.

I'm not having "a go" at you personally steamybrian but I find some of your remarks to be typical of the gross over reaction when the Royal Family/VVIPs arrive on the scene.
.......... remember that other members of the Royal Family or top Politicians frequently use the rail network but it is never advertised , publicised or recorded because if they make reservations they use false names or in the names of their secretaries, etc.
Since when, has anyone had to give their name when buying train tickets ? I don't suppose the Queen or the PM buy their own tickets anyway. :roll:
........ all photography was prohibited. Security staff found some cameras on a few people which were confiscated
Why on earth ban photography ?? Just what "security" value has that got ?? Did they confiscate all the mobile phones too ?? The Queen knows full well she is "public property" and everyone wants to take a photograph of her. When she visited my wife's workplace once everyone had their cameras - apart from those actually involved in the visit (such as my wife - but she was given a nice official photo of her stood along side the Queen) - and this was inside a Military establishment as well, where cameras were normally banned !
All spectators were throughly searched before entering the area

Just what value has that got - do they search everyone down the High Street when the Queen goes on a "walkabout" ?? Of course not......

I'm afraid "security" has grown into a similar sort of self serving empire that Health & Safety has.............where many of the measures are not only annoying to all and sundry but are completely and utterly pointless - and even counter-productive at times !

TGVDUDE

Hi, thanks for the reply. Thats a good idea, I might head out to this bridge here tomorrow and 'suss' it out as a potential spot. Being local, iv seen it loads of times but never used it. Should get a nice slow approach shot. Il also head over to central to ask if all the platforms will be closed whilst its in.
The details on this site are very sketchy (for the offical Jubilee site) but states she is heading down to Margam before heading to Merthyr. Weather that will be by rail is anyones guess! She is also overnighting in s-wales and is in Aberfan (just outside Merthyr) the following day. That leads me to belive she wont be using the train up the valleys as i cant see ATW being to pleased not bein able to access Merthyr station for the duration while they park the train there! However they could drop her off and then ECS back down to Canton over night i suppose and then go back up when required.

Yes Pellet St is a good shout, some shots from there can be found on my Flikr site linked below :)

silverfoxcc

Just remember that nobody. inc officer of the law, can NOT stop you taking pictures unless it ispecifically prohibited under prescribed by laws.The so called renatamob 'security' have even less authority . so snap away even if they tell you to stop.and if they so much as touch you that is assault so call a proper plod and do him. Nobody inc police have the right or authority (unless aleady agreeed by a magistrate) to take film, digital storge devices, or evwn compel you to delete any photos taken from a place where members of the public have lawful and unhindered access/ie if you can see it without trespassing, you can take a picture of it
Some of this may have changed or is not worded 100% correct but there is the full monty on TOC sites about photography on railway property. The BTC and also Met Plod have guidelines also. So please get up to date advice from them. AND carry copies of them of all times

Jobsworths and 'for security reasons' are excuses of the ignorant and ull informed

cragdrummer

thanks for all the replys. As I cant get timings, Im goin to head out to pellett street bridge around 7-8ish stopping at central on the way to see if the ATW staff have an ETA and then sit it out by the bridge (with a brolly!!) Im guesing it wont arrive until around 8-9ish. The jubillee site states that the queen is heading straight from the station to the Cathedral for a service which is about 2 1/2 miles away and cant see that starting until around 10-11ish. Shes then due down to Margam in the afternoon. be interesting to see if she uses the train for the rest of the tour. Could head up to treforest to catch it on its way to merthyr :D

Thanks all again
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
After 2 hours of waiting, she turned up in all her glory :D

RT1.JPG

RT2.JPG

RT3.JPG

RT4.JPG

RT5.JPG

RT6.JPG

RT7.JPG

Thanks all again

moonrakerz

Just remember that nobody. inc officer of the law, can NOT stop you taking pictures unless it ispecifically prohibited under prescribed by laws.The so called renatamob 'security' have even less authority . so snap away even if they tell you to stop.and if they so much as touch you that is assault so call a proper plod and do him. Nobody inc police have the right or authority (unless aleady agreeed by a magistrate) to take film, digital storge devices, or evwn compel you to delete any photos taken from a place where members of the public have lawful and unhindered access/ie if you can see it without trespassing, you can take a picture of it
Some of this may have changed or is not worded 100% correct but there is the full monty on TOC sites about photography on railway property. The BTC and also Met Plod have guidelines also. So please get up to date advice from them. AND carry copies of them of all times

Jobsworths and 'for security reasons' are excuses of the ignorant and ull informed

Good summary here:

http://www.sirimo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/ukphotographersrights-v2.pdf

Tracky

I respect the secrecy of royal train operations and I respect the royal family enough to accept that they deserve to travel away from too many people taking photographs and trainspotting.

The police and security staff can keep people away from platforms, station areas, bridges etc. should they wish.

Also, the royal protection is not carried out by rentamob security but by top quality police officers of which there still are some. They will help elsewhere. When they were doing the pre-visit preperation at my local station two fare dodging scrotes chose the wrong time to trespass to avoid ticket barriers.

moonrakerz

I respect the secrecy of royal train operations and I respect the royal family enough to accept that they deserve to travel away from too many people taking photographs and trainspotting.

This is at odds with the general attitude of the Queen in particular. She knows full well that people go to a lot of effort (much of it completely over the top !) when she is visiting and she likes to see lots of people out with their cameras for her visit.
If I was the Head of State, I think I would be a bit hacked off if no one turned out to see me !

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Not without reason so not if they feel like it they have to have a justifyable reason to do so

I believe that with a reigning monarch or senior members of the royal family onboard that is a good enough reason in itself in this case.

StripeyNick

Here's the shot I got. The staff & police on the station were surprisingly accommodating. We told them what we wanted to do & where we wanted to go & they let us carry on.
The only restriction we had was we weren't to video the train arriving for some reason or to video/photograph HRH actually getting off the train. They then said that once she was off the station, we were free to wander alongside to have a look...........whilst the doors were still open!!!

67006 at Cardiff Central by StripeyNick, on Flickr

bnm

Established Member
Simple solution to stop all the security arguments, costs, and secrecy around Royal Train timings and so on.

Become a republic.

The extra Mk3's would come in handy for the proles to use.

Railcar B

Simple solution to stop all the security arguments, costs, and secrecy around Royal Train timings and so on.

Become a republic.

The extra Mk3's would come in handy for the proles to use.

In a republic, exactly the same security arrangements would surround the President - same difference!

Established Member
Train was out again last night, no idea what it was up to (doesn't appear on TOPS / TRUST) other than it went in a westerly direction though note Liz & Phil are in Dorset and Wiltshire today.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
In a republic, exactly the same security arrangements would surround the President - same difference!

But if they were a "light touch" president (similar to Ireland, Germany and others) they wouldn't have their own hyper expensive luxury train. Having no need for an executive, French or US style, president, we'd have no need for French or US style spending on a president...
Helll, even modern European monarchs with considerably more powers than our own get much more lightweight security arrangements.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

When one of the "jobsworths" is armed with an MP5 or something similar, is tasked with protecting a high value potential terrorist target and belongs to The Security Service or the Royalty Protection branch (SO14) my policy is to desist from the taking of photographic images forthwith and to absent myself from the scene rapidly! :roll::roll:

Rich McLean

Established Member
When one of the "jobsworths" is armed with an MP5 or something similar, is tasked with protecting a high value potential terrorist target and belongs to The Security Service or the Royalty Protection branch (SO14) my policy is to desist from the taking of photographic images forthwith and to absent myself from the scene rapidly! :roll::roll:

Armed Guard have to act in accordance with JSP 398. Shots will only by fired, when life is in danger (i.e, someone attempting to kill someone). You will not be shot for taking photographs as you are not endangering life, so there is no need to worry. I know this, as as recently as last night, I have been carrying out Armed Guard Duties within the military. Same applies for the police or other armed services.

Status
Not open for further replies.