• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Royal Train Travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitdiver

My son is doing a project on Queen Victoria. He discovered that she was the Monarch to travel by train. Knowing that she would stay at Balmoral he wants to know did she travel overnight using a "sleeper" or did she travel in sections and stay somewhere for the night. If this was the case where did she stay on her journey.
He understands that she would get off at Wolverton and stay with the Duke of Buckingham but what about further north.

Thanks for any information.

Rob H

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Queen Victoria used the train from Windsor to Paddington as the behest of Prince Albert and became converted. Her regular journeys to her beloved Balmoral came much easier when the present WCML route opened up throughout after the link north of Preston - Carlisle was secured (before that it was train to Fleetwood and a ship to Ardrossan - then train again)

The LNWR built her a fine carriage (which yours truly has walked through on the occasion of moving the whole lot to Swindon from York in / around 1988) - she was looked after well by Superintendant of the Line G P Neale who wrote his memoirs in 1904 and is a cracking , if long read. Lots of detail , including refreshment stops for food to be placed enoute and to move her staff from carriage to carriage.

6Gman

Established Member
I believe she sometimes stayed overnight in Crewe.

Wise woman.

:)

MCR247

Established Member
I wonder what her opinion on voyagers etc would be...

Status
Not open for further replies.