• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Royal Train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepgreen

Established Member
I foolishly tried a search for "royal train" and, of course, nothing useful arose, so apologies if I have missed a thread. I noticed the royal train headed by 67006 (with its cab door open) trundling westwards under the Brighton main line this morning at about 0911. I could only see the first few vehicles and was unable to tell if it was occupied (but the open cab door may indicate an ECS move).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
Details on the movements and details of the Royal Train are hard to come by for obvious reasons.

jp4712

There's any harm or ill intent in asking, but in general it's one of those things that might be better unanswered.

Clip

Established Member
On its way to Balmoral for Operation London Bridge to inconvenience passengers using the ECML this weekend who will demand delay repay because of it.;)

ExRes

Established Member
I also omitted to say that it was at Battersea.

Well it's obvious, HM was taking in a stray corgi from BDH and having it transferred to Balmoral by train, if Obama could have an aircraft to move his dog around then I'm damn sure HM can use the train ......

;)

steamybrian

Established Member
I agree that for obvious security reasons the movements of the Royal Train are kept confidential. It is also applies to Government Ministers and other VIPs.
When I was working for BR ( in Timetable planning) the timings were only distributed to those that "need to know" basis.

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
I agree that for obvious security reasons the movements of the Royal Train are kept confidential. It is also applies to Government Ministers and other VIPs.
When I was working for BR ( in Timetable planning) the timings were only distributed to those that "need to know" basis.

Indeed - I understand that, but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on today's movement (for example, it may have been for maintenance work).

TimboM

Established Member
Indeed - I understand that, but I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on today's movement (for example, it may have been for maintenance work).

Doesn't answer your question about what it was doing today, but it was on Railcam yesterday on Ribblehead Viaduct heading back South (no royals on board I believe) having taken HRH Prince Charles up to an engagement in Clitheroe.

Ibex

I saw it at Watford Junction at some point mid-morning too so I guess it could have been heading back to Wolverton? I believe it lives there? Correct me if I'm wrong!

TimboM

Established Member
I saw it at Watford Junction at some point mid-morning too so I guess it could have been heading back to Wolverton? I believe it lives there? Correct me if I'm wrong!

Yes, the coaches "live" there. The locos head off to wherever (Bescot it's been recently) and are used (or not as the case may be!) as any other DB 67 on 'normal' duties.

6Gman

Established Member
Royal engagements are listed in the Court Circular (available on-line and published in The Times and Telegraph).

Wednesday:

HM was in London as was her husband. Charles was in Yorkshire and may well have gone up by Royal Train (he's very fond of using the RT - big environmentalist y'know :D ). Anne was in Scotland. Duke of York in London.

Possible that either Anne or (more likely) Charles returned south overnight on the RT to Kent/ Sussex for engagements this morning and that the RT was returning to Wolverton.

Check today's Court Circular!

tellytype

Saw something in the news about Charles using the Royal Train for a trip yesterday.

pdeaves

Established Member

Presumably, 'after the event' it no longer matters?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Royal engagements are listed in the Court Circular (available on-line and published in The Times and Telegraph).

It's also worth checking the Palace press releases; on occasion you will find one that actually openly says:

"On ( date ) at ( time ) H.M. The Queen will arrive at ( station ) by train and will be greeted by the Lord Lieutenant..."

They don't say that very often, but it has been done a few times.

LeylandLen

Doesn't answer your question about what it was doing today, but it was on Railcam yesterday on Ribblehead Viaduct heading back South (no royals on board I believe) having taken HRH Prince Charles up to an engagement in Clitheroe.

I saw it as well. He was Tuesday in Clitheroe Lancs having traveled direct overnight from Windsor & Eton Riverside . Then overnight up north, somewhere secure obviously , before heading through Clitheroe again to Hellifield, over Ribblehead to Blea Moor before 'reversing' , over Ribblehead again to be in Settle for 10am Weds. I assume it went ECML back to London , poss from Harrogate ?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I saw it as well. He was Tuesday in Clitheroe Lancs having traveled direct overnight from Windsor & Eton Riverside . Then overnight up north, somewhere secure obviously , before heading through Clitheroe again to Hellifield, over Ribblehead to Blea Moor before 'reversing' , over Ribblehead again to be in Settle for 10am Weds. I assume it went ECML back to London , poss from Harrogate ?

Obviously Charlie Boy likes a good track bash. :)

E_Reeves

Established Member
Just out of interest, if somebody searched on TOPS the number of the loco hauling the RT, what would it come up with?

L+Y

I live adjacent to Horsforth station, and, upon hearing what I'd taken to be a 66-hauled ballast train, I looked out to see the Royal Train pull up! This was at about 22.45ish.

Charles boarded the RT at Horsforth shortly after, and the whole consist ran into Horsforth siding, before reversing and following the service train back down into Leeds.

TimboM

Established Member
Just out of interest, if somebody searched on TOPS the number of the loco hauling the RT, what would it come up with?

Data sourced from TRUST shows both 67005 and 67006 as being stabled at Bescot TMD for the last few days. They've clearly not been! I think that answers your question ;)

JN114

Established Member
Probably something along the lines of 'no allocations found'.

A schedule/consist enquiry (trjc 1Zwhatever) would return "schedule not found" as they don't even put the schedules in TRUST.

A Loco Pool enquiry (or similar) would just show them at a sensible stabling / maintenance location - as per the previous poster saying 005 and 006 shown at Bescot last few days.

TBSchenker

In my previous job i was a recipient of the sealed envelope with serial number you had to sign for.

And bugger me when the train ran there were people lineside photting! God knows where they got the information from!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Major royal engagements are well publicised in advance. It's often not that hard to predict which ones are going to involve the train.

My dad once had to arrange for a royal visit to his work, as a senior manager there. The day went by the unofficial code name of "operation big ears".

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I foolishly tried a search for "royal train" and, of course, nothing useful arose, so apologies if I have missed a thread. I noticed the royal train headed by 67006 (with its cab door open) trundling westwards under the Brighton main line this morning at about 0911. I could only see the first few vehicles and was unable to tell if it was occupied (but the open cab door may indicate an ECS move).

the royal train does not exist, has never existed and will never exist. You must have made a mistake. Swap gas I suspect. ;)

infobleep

Veteran Member
Does the Royal Train have sleeping quarters?

I wouldn't mind a personal train to take me around but then I'd have to be a member of the royal family, along with all that comes with it. No disrespect to the Royal Family but not sure I'd want to be a member.

steamybrian

Established Member
Presumably, 'after the event' it no longer matters?

I would suggest you mean" after the event" means the following day rather than a few minutes afterwards.
If any of the moderators are reading this they may consider a ruling on this security matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.