• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RPSI "Festival Express" Steam tour Dublin-Kilkenny 19th August (loco 461)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GM078

Something different to the more regular Dublin steam runs, the RPSI are running a one day trip from Dublin Connolly to Kilkenny and return on Sunday 19th August.

Booked loco is recently restored DSER Mogul No.461, making its first visit to the Kilkenny line since 1998. Carriages will be the RPSI Cravens set.

Trip includes a chance to travel over the Glasnevin Junction-Islandbridge junction route, not used by service trains.

Booking form link

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
Isn't 461 booked for the Portrush Flyer on the same day?

I T S

I originally heard that 461 was working the Drogheda trip on the 12th August then running light to Whitehead whilst 186 came in the other direction and swapped with 461 at Drogheda. That would then make 461 in position for the Flyers to the Port. However, that may have changed as things tend to do....

4SRKT

Established Member
RPSI website shows no loco against any of the Drogheda trip on the 12th nor the Kilkenny/Portrush trips on the 19th. Until recently it was shown as 186 to Kilkenny and 461 to Portrush. The other two Portrush trips are shown as 461 still.

I don't mind either way. I haven't done 461 before so that'd be nice, but 186 is a fine little thing, and I'm happy to have her battling up Mossley and Ballyboyland. I'll be back next year to bag 461 on something.

Shame the Kilkenny trip on the 18th got caped. My plan was to do both, but I suppose this way gets me into less bother with Mrs 4SRKT, who is more than a little anti-crank. Even more so now that she will be in Ireland herself at the time so disappearing off for two days will be even more frowned upon and draw even more faux misunderstanding from her and her parents. Just one day on the beer will be a bit easier than two as well I guess, especially as I have to get up early in Belfast on the Monday morning, get the 07:20 flight to LBA, then do a full day's work!

Last edited:

GM078

186 will work the first Flyer at any rate. 461 is meant to work the Kilkenny trip.

4SRKT

Established Member
186 will work the first Flyer at any rate. 461 is meant to work the Kilkenny trip.

Some clarity at any rate would be good. RPSI website still shows blank against both, and the only loco that has been shown against Kilkenny is 186.

GM078

461 is definitely the booked loco for the 'Festival Express'. As such 186 will make an appearance on the first Flyer for the first time in a few years.

The Drogheda/Skerries trips will also be worked by 461 throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.