• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RPSI Maynooth Shuttles 3rd March 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

I T S

461 ran light today from Whitehead and the plan was to go to Dublin in a positioning move for Saturday's trip to Maynooth and other excursions in the coming months. However the steam loco failed at Dundalk and may have to return to Whitehead for repairs. The extent of repairs I don't know.

Attention Diesel Cranks.....

Could we see a 071 produce for Saturday's shuttles to Maynooth? Now yeah of course there's every chance a 201 will produce but if there ain't a steam loco south by Friday....It'll be diesel on Saturday :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GM078

461 ran light today from Whitehead and the plan was to go to Dublin in a positioning move for Saturday's trip to Maynooth and other excursions in the coming months. However the steam loco failed at Dundalk and may have to return to Whitehead for repairs. The extent of repairs I don't know.

Attention Diesel Cranks.....

Could we see a 071 produce for Saturday's shuttles to Maynooth? Now yeah of course there's every chance a 201 will produce but if there ain't a steam loco south by Friday....It'll be diesel on Saturday :)

Saturday's Shuttles are sold out in any case.

And just because 461 may nor may not be ready in time doesn't mean it will be a diesel. The Santas were 9 bogie trains which 186 couldn't handle, which is why diesel had to be substituted.

Hopefully something will work out. Remember the people travelling on these trains are not gricers, but family day-out types. These are vitally important to anyone connected with the hobby: without them preservation (be it steam or diesel, the latter relies upon the former to keep preservation bodies afloat) would come to a halt. No passengers = no revenue, so even for those who photo at the lineside without contributing would be affected in the long term.

So such a failure is nothing to rejoice about.

Last edited:

I T S

I was told tonight that it's the "Big End" on 461 which is giving problems...Anyone know the technical side of steam locos?

RE you're comments GM078, I think it's pretty wrong to assume that Saturday's passengers are not gricers. I can tell you that you're actually wrong. Myself and 6 other gricers have booked tickets for Saturday so I think you might want to edit you're post and not look an idiot!

With regards to you're remark about "rejoice" about a failure... Nobody is rejoicing about anything but just spreading the word and the "gen" as its called about the day to day operations on the railways and the possibility of something else happening in the future. Personally speaking, I find you're reply to me, was very defensive and an aim to cover up the facts *There is a chance Saturday will not be steam hauled*. As well, it doesn't say much for the mechanical overhaul department when a locomotive which was only recently overhauled is giving problems so early after but these things happen I suppose

Bearing in mind, that for that loco to go back to Whitehead for repairs and return on another day involves 2 separate days which involve Translink releasing 2 drivers from normal rostered duties along with other issues such as paths and the big question "Will 461 be repaired for Saturday"?

ITS

GM078

Of course there may be gricers on board. But the majority aren't...

I'm more than aware of the logistics involved in moving locos about.

There's no facts being covered... even if there were the majority of passengers wouldn't even be reading this site so it would be a pointless exercise.

But don't bank on it being diesel.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As well, it doesn't say much for the mechanical overhaul department when a locomotive which was only recently overhauled is giving problems so early after but these things happen I suppose

You clearly don't know much about such things, but problems soon after an overhaul are not unheard of. You may have heard the term 'teething troubles'?

I T S

Don't bank on a steam engine either... The booked engine is dumped in Dundalk with problems!

Well yes I have heard of teething problems before , but since 461 has been overhauled I've heard of a few problems including while working the Santa specials. I would have thought them problems and the chance of anything else arising would have been covered and the necessary tests carried out to prevent it for the future runs.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I heard something today that 186 is going south on Wednesday to work Saturdays specials to maynooth.

Last edited:

PFX

It's always good to remember that not all you hear is necessarily fact.

Anyway, if you wish to be pedantic, how about a CAF4000 being stopped (temporarily) due to a fault? It's spanking new yet suffering teething problems. The fault has been fixed and it's back in traffic but there's no guarantee that the fault won't manifest itself again or a new fault might develop.

It just shows that this type of thing is not confined to preservation stock.

102 fan

I was told tonight that it's the "Big End" on 461 which is giving problems...Anyone know the technical side of steam locos?
ITS

IIRC the big end is end of the piston con rod that goes onto the axle crank. It's called the big end as it's usually bigger than the end which attaches to the piston. The same terminology is used in IC engines.

As to the restoration, I have been involved in this sort of work, and I can tell you that the 'gremlins' can and will strike at any time!

I T S

Now Confirmed that 186 will run south tomorrow leaving Whitehead at 1005 and arriving at Dublin at 1416. I would guess the usual water stops at Lisburn & Dundalk will apply!

Thewanderer

Established Member
This just landed in my inbox from the RPSI:

=============
RPSI Bulletin
=============

Locomotive No.461 was on its way light engine to Dublin on Sunday when, during a routine servicing stop at Dundalk, it was found that the left big end was carrying a bit of heat.

Rather than proceed, the locomotive was stabled there while the big end was dismantled and examined. No serious damage was found and it is hoped that the locomotive can proceed soon to Dublin.

Meanwhile, the plan is for No.186 to be worked light to Dublin later in the week for the planned Maynooth Shuttles on Saturday 3rd March.

=============

I heard through another source that 461 will go to Dublin on Sunday.

I T S

I also heard about 461 on Sunday....Something about working a trial run to Enfield too before the Wexford trip was mentioned too

102 fan

This just landed in my inbox from the RPSI:

=============
RPSI Bulletin
=============

Locomotive No.461 was on its way light engine to Dublin on Sunday when, during a routine servicing stop at Dundalk, it was found that the left big end was carrying a bit of heat.

Rather than proceed, the locomotive was stabled there while the big end was dismantled and examined. No serious damage was found and it is hoped that the locomotive can proceed soon to Dublin.

Meanwhile, the plan is for No.186 to be worked light to Dublin later in the week for the planned Maynooth Shuttles on Saturday 3rd March.

=============

I heard through another source that 461 will go to Dublin on Sunday.

Sounds like a lube problem.

I T S

As a result , 186 worked todays trains...

461 is due to run south tomorrow followed by a test run

Dundalk 12:00 No.461 light engine
Drogheda 12:40 12:50 Water
Skerries 13:22 13:32
Dublin Connolly 14:15

Dublin Connolly 14:35 No.461 + Cravens
Maynooth 15:13 15:50 Water
Enfield 16:13 16:48
Maynooth 17:08 17:55 Water
Dublin Connolly 18:28

GM078

186 performed quite well yesterday taking 3185+6 Cravens up Glasnevin bank.
Today 461 ran light from Dundalk to Connolly, before working the Cravens on empty to Maynooth and back, before joining 186 in Connolly yard. So having had no steam locos for 6 months Dublin now has two!

GM078

Nice shot, Tara St. seems to be a location often ignored by photographers in favour of the termini but it certainly seems to be a good vantage point.

Csalem

Thanks. I like to go to Tara Street for the steam specials as there is a bit of a contrast between a steam train and this city centre station. Of course most of the time a DART comes along to ruin the shot.

Took four shots this morning while passing through Dublin Connolly of the two steam locos in the yard, 186 and 461:
http://smu.gs/x1nrpc

Status
Not open for further replies.