• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RPSI Test Run with 461

Status
Not open for further replies.

I T S

461 is reported to be doing a test run this Sunday from Whitehead. Destination unknown.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4SRKT

Established Member
Will this beast be on next year's Portrush Flyer do you think?

I T S

Hard to tell. At the minute I think she's for Dublin for the time being. Clearance is another issue considering it's clowns that run this place now and not railwaymen

GM078

Will this beast be on next year's Portrush Flyer do you think?

In all likelihood she will be used on the Sea Breezes next summer, all going well. Quite appropriate for the only surviving DSER engine. These trains usually sell out so a strong engine like 461 is more suited to the task than 186.

4SRKT

Established Member
However, 461's power will also be useful going up Mossley and Ballyboyland on the Portrush Flyer. Personally I'll be trying to do the Flyer whatever's on it, as I have a real soft spot for the venerable 186, but 461 would be nice for a bit of variety. If there's a Steam Enterprise loco-swap move in June/July then that will be an absolute must to get both locos :)

GM078

However, 461's power will also be useful going up Mossley and Ballyboyland on the Portrush Flyer.

Indeed. Though if anyone likes hearing steam engines climbing hills, the climb up Rathdrum back on the DSER (probably with 7-8 bogies) is worth hearing. Then on the MGWR there's Glasnevin bank (especially challenging on a 9 bogie Santa Special!), so 461 will certainly get a chance to stretch her wheels next year!

461 was out today on a test run, meanwhile in Dublin Cravens carriage 1506 had her first preservation era mainline run on Friday evening, so all in all a busy weekend in terms of preserved Irish stock returning to the rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.