• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RSP Data - Routeing Guide Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

OwlMan

Established Member
Copied from ATOC website

RSP currently has several types of data available for use as set out below.
■Fares Data
■Timetable Data
■Routeing Guide Data
■Retail Control Service (RCS)
Fares, Timetable and Routeing Guide Data is provided through the Rail Journey Information Service (RJIS). Retail Control Data is provided as an FTP feed over the internet from the Retail Control Service.

Fares Data
Fares data consists of fares information relating to permanent fares offered by Train Operating Companies. The data will typically included general fares information such as price, validity, class of travel and restriction information.

Details of the structure and content of the fares data can be found in the RSP Data Feeds Interface Specification for Fares and Associated Data document.

Timetable Data
Timetable data consists of Timetable information for the train services provided by each of the British franchised train operating companies. The data will include general timetable information such as departure and arrival times for all stations (e.g. origin, intermediate and terminating) at which a train calls on its journey. Certain other information relating to the train journey will also be included such as class of accommodation, days of operation and other information unique to the train service.

Details of the structure and content of the timetable data can be found in the RSP Data Feeds Interface Specification for Timetable Information document.

The timetable data supplied as part of the RSP timetable data feed is sourced from Network Rail's Train Services Database (TSDB) in Common Interface Format (CIF) and is filtered to exclude non-passenger train services. Details of the structure and content of the data in CIF can be found in Network Rail's CIF End User Specification Document.

Routeing Guide Data
Routeing data is created by Rail Settlement Plan from the routeing information used to specify route validity for certain fares and prescribe passenger journey route options.

Details of the structure and content of the routeing data can be found in the RSP Data Feeds Interface Specification for Routeing Guide Data document.

RSP Data Feeds Interface Specification for Routeing Guide Data document at
http://www.atoc.org/rsp/_downloads/RJIS/sp0037.pdf

Has anyone seen this data?
AS a database engineer I would to have a look.
Unfortunately their small charge is not small to me (see below)

Having viewed the RSP Data web pages, you may now wish to try out RSP Data on a trial basis. Retail Control Data examples can be found below. For other data, RSP can supply trial feeds in CD-ROM format. You may then test the RSP Data for compatibility with your systems. A small charge of £200.00 per CD-ROM for each type of RSP Data will be applicable. Please note that the Additional Data Feed is supplied on request and without charge if you use either the RSP fares or timetable data.

Peter

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

glynn80

Established Member
I have briefly looked over these documents but not in the context you are referring to. I was trying to gather information on how WebTIS's interpreted the routeing guide rather than trying to analyse the entire dataset.

I doubt unfortunately anyone on the forum has a spare copy lying around unless they work in the RSP office. You could perhaps email ATOC and request an outdated copy and give some spiel about researching rail databases, they are much more likely to open up to this sort of request, as the information being requested would no longer be commercially useful to anyone.

tony_mac

Established Member
does anyone know if it's possible to get the distance data somehow?

I could possibly extract it from CORE, but that would take quite a while and doesn't seem fair - I also don't know if it's up to date - but it doesn't change that much, does it?

I wouldn't have though that's particularly comercially sensitive, the information is freely available, just not in a convenient format.

glynn80

Established Member

John @ home

Established Member
does anyone know if it's possible to get the distance data somehow?

It is possible to obtain the distance data from the Baseline Declaration files held on the Network Rail website (http://www.networkrail.co.uk/browse...ge, Permissible line speeds&pageid=5523&root=).

But if the distance data is to be used for routeing purposes then the instructions [http://www.atoc.org/rsp/Routeing_Guide/instructions.pdf] are to use the data in the National Rail Timetable.

How to use the National Routeing Guide said:
CALCULATING SHORTEST DISTANCES
As the shortest route for any journey is always a permitted route, this can be checked, and the distance between stations calculated, from the National Rail Timetable. Mileages appear in the station column at the beginning of each major table, except table 51. To arrive at the throughout distance for travel between every station by any route, add mileages together for the component parts of the journey by referring to the relevant timetables.

This introduces rounding errors and anomalies but this is the data that has to be used because it forms part of the contract between the passenger and the train companies.

A couple of examples of anomalies:

Between Meadowhall and Swinton (S Yorks) all services are measured via Rotherham Central (7.25 miles) rather than the shorter route via Masborough. Quail gives the distance as 7 miles 25 chains (7.31 miles) via Rotherham Central and 5 miles 4 chains (5.05 miles) via Masborough. This introduces an error of two and a quarter miles for most XC services between Sheffield and York. A few do actually travel via Rotherham Central for route learning purposes.

Between Newark Castle and Newark North Gate, the only figure which can be calulated from the National Rail Timetable is 10 miles via Collingham. This introduces an error of about eight and a half miles for services which reverse a few chains east of Newark Crossing East Jn.

John

tony_mac

Established Member
...I'm really looking for something that I can reasonably convert anyway, I'm not enough of an enthusiast to type in all the numbers!

John @ home

Established Member

tony_mac

Established Member
I emailed Clive a couple of weeks ago about CORE, but didn't get a reply. I might try again though, but I don't really want to take responsibility for it as I may end up not having time to actually do anything with it.

BTW, your links have an extra ] at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.