• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RTV for cash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mono1989

Morning all.

I have £62.00 in RTV to use.

Is there anyway I could exchange these for cash? I don't mind heading into London to try putting it onto an oyster but not sure how to do it?

Any chance someone could help?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Morning all.

I have £62.00 in RTV to use.

Is there anyway I could exchange these for cash? I don't mind heading into London to try putting it onto an oyster but not sure how to do it?

Any chance someone could help?
When did you receive them?

najaB

Veteran Member
With in the last 7 days.

Any particular reason?
The reason I asked is that from a couple of months back RTVs are exchangeable for cash at the ticket offices of the TOC who issued them.

The letter that accompanied them should have explained this. I was wondering if they were some old ones that you found in a drawer.

mono1989

Which TOC? You should have been offered a cash alternative.

It was VTEC, it wasn't made clear on there website as.to the cash alternative.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The reason I asked is that from a couple of months back RTVs are exchangeable for cash at the ticket offices of the TOC who issued them.

The letter that accompanied them should have explained this. I was wondering if they were some old ones that you found in a drawer.

Just rechecked the letter sent from VTEC and it doesn't state anything about cashing them in at one of their TO's

najaB

Veteran Member
Just rechecked the letter sent from VTEC and it doesn't state anything about cashing them in at one of their TO's
Hmm. They're a bit behind the times then - the last few letters I've received (from VTWC and Scotrail) have all given the option of exchanging for cash.

Edit: Actually, I'm not 100% sure about the VTWC one.

mono1989

If I were to take an oyster card to say London bridge. Could the TO put the RTV balance on the oyster then do the cash refund there and then?

najaB

Veteran Member
If I were to take an oyster card to say London bridge. Could the TO put the RTV balance on the oyster then do the cash refund there and then?
Personally I'd go to Kings Cross and ask the VTEC office for cash.

mono1989

I've tweeted VTEC to see if I get a response. Will let you know what they say.
Personally I'd go to Kings Cross and ask the VTEC office for cash.

Just had contact from VTEC and they said the only cash exchange would be to send then back and a cheque issued.

Oh well, off to London Bridge I go.

mbreckers

Hmm. They're a bit behind the times then - the last few letters I've received (from VTWC and Scotrail) have all given the option of exchanging for cash.

Edit: Actually, I'm not 100% sure about the VTWC one.

Friend had VTWC RTV's from after the new rules came in place, no mention of exchanging them for cash on website or on letter, he only knew about this cause I told him about it.

Went with him to the Virgin Trains ticket office in Glasgow Central, told they cant do that here, gave me the email address of customer services. Helped friend write email to VTWC, posted RTV's to Customer Service address, no reply for a month then cheques arrived.

I dont think VTWC want people knowing about this

Stats

Just had contact from VTEC and they said the only cash exchange would be to send then back and a cheque issued.
This isn't entirely correct. VTEC's passenger charter states clearly that compensation can be requested to be paid in National Rail vouchers, VTEC e-vouchers or money. The money options are to refund to the credit or debit card used to buy the tickets, BACS transfer or cheque.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Oh well, off to London Bridge I go.

London Bridge ticket office will not be able to exchange them for cash, nor do they have Oyster facilities iirc.

London Underground stopped accepting them for Oyster credits a few months ago.

I don't know whether Chiltern ticket offices will be able to put them on as Oyster credits.

gray1404

Established Member
About a year ago I had the Southern ticket office at Victoria add RTV's onto my Oyster card as credit. I wonder if this is still indeed possible.

najaB

Veteran Member
About a year ago I had the Southern ticket office at Victoria add RTV's onto my Oyster card as credit. I wonder if this is still indeed possible.
It is possible at ticket offices which still do National Rail and Oyster. Unfortunately those are becoming a rarer thing as time passes. I'm sure members from London can point you in the right direction.

Clip

Established Member
It is possible at ticket offices which still do National Rail and Oyster. Unfortunately those are becoming a rarer thing as time passes. I'm sure members from London can point you in the right direction.

As has been said give Marylebone a try. They have some great staff there who are always willing to accommodate just about every ticket need.

Adam0984

It was VTEC, it wasn't made clear on there website as.to the cash alternative.

Just received delay compensation from VTEC asked for RTVs received a cheque so VTEC seem to have got on board with the cash and give it as standard

westv

Established Member
The EC website delay repay form does ask how you want the refund paid.

island

Veteran Member

I wouldn't call 100+ stations "rare".

najaB

Veteran Member
I wouldn't call 100+ stations "rare".
I did say 'rarer' as opposed to 'rare' :) I'm not London based but I have read several times on the forum "Oh, they don't do that any more" with reference to certain offices putting RTVs onto Oyster, and also that TfL are closing ticket offices, so may have gotten the wrong end of the stick.

island

Veteran Member
TfL is not closing any ticket offices. It is in fact opening a couple of additional ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.