• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[RU] St. Petersburg: Metro, Tram and Sightseeing (with pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

k-c-p

Hello,

my best friend convinced me to join him and his family on a cruise of the Baltic Sea. One of the stop along the way was Saint Petersburg. Due to visa restrictions we could not walk around town on our own, but had to stay with our tour guide. So I could not explore as much rail stuff as I would have liked to do, but I managed to get some tram and metro snapshots nonetheless.

Metro

As we did not use the tours offered by the cruise ship, but had booked our own program with a local tour operator, we had some influence on the program (and we had the advantage of being just a group of six in a minibus instead of the usual bigger groups. The minibus had tinted windows, so we felt like celebrities :)).

Per our request to have some metro included we rode two stations on the red line (from "Narvskaya" to "Avtovo") on our way to the "Petergof".

Outside "Narvskaya" station

pb_metro1sdxi0.jpg

A little token opened the gates

pb_metro2ekals.jpg

A long and quite escalator took us down unto the platform (due to the muddy ground below the city, the tunnels are very deep below the ground, making the metro one of the deepest metro systems in the world).
"Narvskaya" is decorated with marble and bronze inlays that celebrate the soviet work force

pb_metro3xnzdi.jpg

pb_metro4auat3.jpg

pb_metro5gvba8.jpg

In "Avtovo" lots of pillars and chandeliers

pb_metro7dgaio.jpg

We used one of these older trains

pb_metro607box.jpg

Newer rolling stock on the opposite side of the platform

pb_metro8bwl67.jpg

The vestibule with its dome looked more like a temple then a subway station

pb_metro924yh7.jpg

Outside view of "Avtovo"

pb_metro10drz4a.jpg

The park of Petergof is worth a visit. It has fountains of different styles and sizes

pb_peterhogrrziz.jpg

pb_peterhog2ouyeq.jpg

Trolleybus and Tram

In addition to the metro Petersburg has trolleybuses

pb_obus4ll4m.jpg

and different types of trams. When the bus dropped us off at "Narvskaya" metro station I managed to take this snapshot of a little tram

pb_tram1e2x9q.jpg

On the way to Petergof I snapped some more tram pictures from the bus

pb_tram2guxhb.jpg

Tram on the move

pb_tram3axx1q.jpg

As Petersburg has a lot of water a boat trip along the Newa river and the canals is a must. While we cruise the water a tram passes by on a bridge

pb_tram4t3apm.jpg

Sightseeing

That's all in terms of rail. Unfortunately, we passed the railway stations without stopping, so I could not grab pictures of Russian trains. As there are so many sights to see in Petersburg, I want to share some pictures of these too.

The church in the "Peter and Paul Fortress". This was the last place we visited during our two day sightseeing marathon

pb_peterfestef5ydj.jpg

The Eremitage - a huge art museum. View of the front

pb_eremitagewyz6c.jpg

and view from across the river.

pb_eremitage2bbafx.jpg

We did not visit it, as we wanted to see as much of the city as we could, instead of wandering around pictures and stuff.

This hydrofoil connect Petergof and the Eremitage

pb_bootdgzbl.jpg

If you like visiting churches, the "Church of the Savior on Blood" might be the place for you

pb_blutkirche50vlq4.jpg

The mosaics are just breathtaking

pb_blutkirche1mfyna.jpg

pb_blutkirche240xwi.jpg

pb_blutkirche4rxl48.jpg

As the "Church of the Savior on Blood" is still a church were services are held every once in a while the door to the altar is closed

pb_blutkirche3kqxzb.jpg

Whereas in "Saint Isaac's Cathedral" is was open. Because the cathedral is not a church any more. It is classified as a museum

pb_issak20rxkl.jpg

The interior is a fantastic mix of architecture, gold and mosaics

pb_issak1u0xzp.jpg

pb_issak3vlbk1.jpg

Outside the city in the town of Puschkin is "Catherine Palace"

pb_puschkin1wfaxt.jpg

For me the ballroom with its glass and gold was a lot more impressive than the "Amber Room"

pb_puschkin2kybrm.jpg

The masonry heaters like this one were for decoration only and not used heating

pb_puschkin3ffa22.jpg

Adjacent to the place: A wonderful park

pb_puschkin42nbsa.jpg

pb_puschkin52cbfg.jpg

Quite a contrast to the delicate architecture in the city centre: This administration building from the soviet era

pb_sowjetsuy67.jpg

A bit unusual: A toilet bus

pb_wcoszkx.jpg

And finally, some impressions taken at sun set. Unfortunately, not from the city centre, as we could not leave the boat in the evening and the cruise terminal is outside of the city

The new stadium

pb_abendsonne3r0lj4.jpg

Cooling tower in the sun set

pb_abendsonne2ysykw.jpg

The cruise terminal in the evening

pb_abendsonne4qwbfv.jpg

Lifeboat in sunlight

pb_abendsonne1u6zu2.jpg

Two days are no enough for a city like this, but they were enough to make appetite to come back some day (my dream would be to a week in Petersburg followed by a week in Moscow).

I think this is what cruises are best at: Give you the chance to take a look at a place for a day to see if it is worth to come back for a more detailed look. Apart from Tallin all the other stops of the trip (Helsinki, Stockholm and Copenhagen) are places that I want to go back to.

This wraps-up my little Petersburg report. I hope you liked it. Looking forward to your feedback.

Cheers
Charly

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Nice report. St Petersburg and Russia are both amazing. St. Petersburg is possibly one of the best places I've ever visited. Sadly, on my visit I didn't use the metro so it's nice to see your pictures of it. The Hermitage, is one of the best art museums I've visited, so a shame you skipped it. I spent about 4 days there, but still feel I need to return.

PeterY

Established Member
A lovely selection of photographs. Thank you for sharing.

Kristofferson

A fantastic mini photo tour, thank you :) what was the cruise liner like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87electric

Great report. I have plans for next year to visit Moscow & St Petersburg on a rail package tour and your photos have inspired me even more. :)

k-c-p

what is the "checkpoint" thing when it's out?

No idea. But the guard did not bother neither us nor anyone else when we entered the station.

what was the cruise liner like?

The passengers were mostly old folk. My friends brother-in-law coined the term "zombies" for our fellow travellers :).

The ship (MS Artania) was nice. It is a relatively small vessel that carries about 1200 passengers. About 90% of the 500 crew members are Filipinos (this seems to be pretty common on cruise liners nowadays). Pools and and Spa offered a nice relaxation program after a day of sightseeing. And the food was amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.