• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby-Cosford via Tamworth

Status
Not open for further replies.

nat67

Established Member
I'm planning to go to RAF Cosford next week from Rugby and I wasn't sure if it's valid via Tamworth.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I'm planning to go to RAF Cosford next week from Rugby and I wasn't sure if it's valid via Tamworth.
Unfortunately it's not, as far as I can tell. Maps EB and WM are your lot, and neither of those cover Nuneaton-Tamworth. Seems a bit stingy to me, but not a surprise with the current RDG policy of "simplification" (i.e. continuous elimination of legitimate rights!).

Veteran Member
Unfortunately it's not, as far as I can tell. Maps EB and WM are your lot, and neither of those cover Nuneaton-Tamworth. Seems a bit stingy to me, but not a surprise with the current RDG policy of "simplification" (i.e. continuous elimination of legitimate rights!).
Was it previously a permitted route? It's about 10 miles further than the obvious route.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Was it previously a permitted route? It's about 10 miles further than the obvious route.
In the first iteration of the Routeing Guide at the time of privatisation, it was permitted via Stafford (then Wolverhampton) or direct, but not via any of the Trent Valley-Birmingham connecting lines.

This remained so until the maps you could use were changed, to prevent usage via Stafford, some time between 11th November 2003 and 26th September 2005.

But you are correct that it doesn't appear ever to have been a "permitted" (i.e. mapped) route, although I would be surprised if it wasn't deemed a "reasonable" route in BR days.

Silverdale

[QUOTE="ForTheLoveOf, post: 3878814, member: 57932"continuous elimination of legitimate rights!).[/QUOT

nat67

Established Member
Cheers I wasn't sure but as you say it's not reasonable that you couldn't use it. Was intending to do it only one way. The 1603 Taunton-Glasgow Central obviously from New Street to Tamworth only if the the Crewe-Rugby was running a couple late.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Cheers I wasn't sure but as you say it's not reasonable that you couldn't use it. Was intending to do it only one way. The 1603 Taunton-Glasgow Central obviously from New Street to Tamworth only if the the Crewe-Rugby was running a couple late.
You could always ask station staff on the day!

Status
Not open for further replies.