• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby League

familyguy99

Hunslet 17-16 Oldham Full time.

Heartbreak for Oldham as Coyle score drop goal in sudden death to send Hunslet up to Championship.

Also Oldham six straight lost in Grand Final appearing too. :(

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wigan,United Kingdon and Kingswood Nsw, Australia
South's open top bus will be going around Sydney tomorrow starting at 12:30 and finishing in the city looks like an ex UK model de roofed with South Sydney Decals applied.. also anyone know a good pub for the super league grand final in Melbourne I am fearing having to YouTube it the day after as Melbourne is definitely not a rugby town

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Wigan's prop Ben Flower showed an amazing lack of discipline by first punching St Helens' Lance Hohaia to the ground, then he knelt next to the player in order to administer a second punch to the face of that player lying on the ground, after only two minutes play in the Grand Final...:roll:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Wigan's prop Ben Flower showed an amazing lack of discipline by first punching St Helens' Lance Hohaia to the ground, then he knelt next to the player in order to administer a second punch to the face of that player lying on the ground, after only two minutes play in the Grand Final...:roll:

Whilst not wanting to promote violence in anyway (Insert comment on declining standards etc) that was a fantastic punch! If you are going to get sent off at least do it properly! I particularly like the second punch with the guy sparked out. I can see a LONG ban coming and rightly so! :roll: :oops:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Rugby League is played by some real hard men. Apparently he said he doesn't hold a grudge, it was all in the heat of the moment and he's done some silly things on the field himself.

Established Member
Also with the Greater Manchester Police considering whether to take any action it looks like the rugby league family wanting to keep it all in house. Talk of a potential eight game ban on the BBC website.

Oswyntail

Established Member
.... he's done some silly things on the field himself.
Including the forearm smash that sparked Flowers' reaction - no wonder he doesn't want the incident looked at too closely:roll: (Not seeking to excuse or mitigate anything)

ExRes

Established Member
Aah, the delights of professional sport, and there was me wondering why I refuse to watch 'sports' any longer

Antman

Established Member
Including the forearm smash that sparked Flowers' reaction - no wonder he doesn't want the incident looked at too closely:roll: (Not seeking to excuse or mitigate anything)

Looked to me like he just ran into Flowers?

Chapeltom

Established Member
Aah, the delights of professional sport, and there was me wondering why I refuse to watch 'sports' any longer

Yeah, a few weeks ago I was at Doncaster v Sheffield Eagles in the Championship Play Offs. A Donny player stamped on the head of a Sheffield Eagles player, there was uproar, he was sent off and a day after the game everyone had forgotten all about it.

Nothing wrong with professional sport, your more likely to see acts of violence at lower levels but its obviously more publicized at the top levels.

Its sport, things happen but Flower's punch was thankfully a rarity in RL.

Antman

Established Member
Well, the RFL have this evening imposed the longest ever Super League ban of six months or 13 matches upon Ben Flower and he is not going to make an appeal.

The police still seem to be pursuing matters, nonetheless.

I would say the length of the ban is about right.

I hope he is prosecuted.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Looked to me like he just ran into Flowers?
Nope - he too has been punished. Personally, I don't care about the actual punishment, so long as there is some consistency. For instance, there is one player, who plays for a team in red shall we say, who gets away with thuggery like this week in week out, and who, it is reported, cannot be sold on because of this. Everyone just shrugs and says "That's just ......."

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
**************************************************************************************************

Super League

Salford Red Devils 6....St Helens 52

St Helens ran in 10 tries in this comprehensive victory at the A J Bell stadium to give them back-to-back wins to start the new campaign.

I now wonder, after two bad defeats, how the Salford City Reds owner Dr Marwan Koukash who is not known for being a shrinking violet and most certainly one to call a spade a "bloody shovel" will now feel about the squad and how Iestyn Harris is managing them?

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

The Salford Red Devils forward Gareth Hock has rightly been given a six-match ban for kneeing St Helens players, not once but twice in the match. I wonder how the club will now view matters, as the player is already in trouble with the game authorities on an unrelated matter.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Super League

Salford Red Devils 32....Hull FC 28

Everything comes to those who wait. Third match of the season brings Salford Red Devils a good reward for a more cohesive team effort, which must please coach Iestyn Harris.
Super League

Catalan Dragons 40...Salford Red Devils 40

To go to the ground of a top-three side must have been a testing for Salford, despite their recent home win over Hull FC.

It must have been quite a match, with both sides running in seven tries. Salford now move up to 8th place.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Super League

Salford Red Devils 36...Widnes Vikings 8

After a somewhat attritional first half, Salford ran in 20 unanswered points in a very much one-sided second half, with seven different Salford players crossing for tries.

Iestyn Harris has recently installed a more cohesive team plan, which helps Salford to play to their strengths far better in certain positions.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Super League

Huddersfield Giants 12....Salford Red Devils 18

This looked on paper to be a very difficult match for Salford, as an away fixture to 3rd placed Huddersfield seemed to pose a check to Salford's recent very good form.

However, Salford played excellent team tactics and defended very well indeed and this win takes them to fourth place in the Super League whereas Huddersfield drop from third to fifth place.
Super League

Salford Red Devils 24...Wigan Warriors 18

In past seasons, Wigan would have viewed this match as one that they only had to turn up to win, but this season, Salford have found cohesion after the first two matches of this season and scored four tries to the three scored by Wigan. Salford now are in third place, overtaking Wigan after this result.

Last edited:
Argument could be Said that Huaraki and Chase Shouldn't have played for Salford but anyway ...

I've got flights booked to go Cheer on Catalans vs St Helens next month and even have some more tgv trips between Beziers and Perpignan :) so a near perfect win a week in France £172 in a Apartment including Match Ticket and Flights i'll enjoy sitting with the French/Catalans Fans again :)

I'm going Wigan v Warrington on Thursday at the DW and debating a trip to Leigh for Leigh v Salford on Saturday in the Challenge cup

Hock's a Class Player but an Idiot reading his facebook post's is like reading some of my afghan friends posts his English is Awful!

Wigan v Hull KR should be a Corker in the Challenge cup aswell as Whinos v Giants Wakey v Leigh could be another upset either way as no one would expect Wakey to win

Ties to be played between 15 and 17 May.
Widnes Vikings v Batley Bulldogs
Leeds Rhinos v Huddersfield Giants
Hull FC v Castleford Tigers
Wigan Warriors v Hull KR
Catalan Dragons v Featherstone Rovers
St Helens v York City Knights
Wakefield Wildcats v Leigh Centurions
Dewsbury Rams v Warrington Wolves
Wakey Leigh and Leeds Giants are on tv for the Challenge cup and Assume Sky will air 1/2 and the Cats/Rovers Game which they'll take the beinsport feed from France

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
First Utility Super League

Wakefield Wildcats 22....Wigan Warriors 40

Joe Burgess scored a hat-trick of tries, as Wigan's second half pressure told on bottom-placed Wakefield, after a closely contested first half.

This result moves Wigan Warriors into second place in the league table.

Budgie scored a Hattrick again last week for Wigan vs Hull Kr aswell in a 60-0 win. I'm currently in the south of france about to attend Saturdays Catalans v St Helens game should be good if anyone is about and see's a Melbourne or South Sydney Shirt say hello

Wigan-Hull Kr will be aired next friday from Leigh Sports village on Sky

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I always look at the results of the lesser teams and in the three matches that were played in Kingstone Press League 1, home advantage certainly seems to have helped with the motivation of the home teams in all three matches:-

Gloucestershire All Golds 66...Coventry 6
North Wales Crusaders 74...Hemel Stags 14
Rochdale 76...Oxford 16
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ladbrokes Challenge Cup

Wakefield Trinity Wildcats 30...Leigh Centurions 36

Despite being 24-6 down at half-time, the leaders of the Championship, Leigh Centurions, kept both their nerve and their game plan intact to produce an excellent second-half performance, outscoring their Super League opponents by 6 tries to 5.

This is now two consecutive cup wins over Super League teams, as they defeated Salford Red Devils in the previous round.