• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby Signal Boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harbon 1

Just a quick one,

Why are there different signal box codes on the signal plates around Rugby Station?

For example:
RN
KR
NR
RC

Cheers,
Matt

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Pre-modernisation boundaries:
KR - Wolverton (exclusive)-Kilsby Tunnel
TK - Tring-Leighton Buzzard
WT - Kings Langley (exclusive)-Tring
HN - Hanslope-Northampton (exclusive)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Edit - Those now cover a larger area, but I'm unsure of just how large. I suspect NR is Nuneaton-Rugby, RN is Rugby-Northampton, and CR is Coventry-Rugby. I'm not sure on those, however.

Last edited:

Harbon 1

Have you any idea if they'll all go over to one code sooner or later? And there must be a lot of signals (i know when resignalling takes place the nubers are higher) as there is NR6000 :shock:

Dreadnought

Edit - Those are pre-upgrade, so I suspect NR is Nuneaton-Rugby, RN is Rugby-Northampton, and CR is Coventry-Rugby. I'm not sure on those, however, the above list is definite.

I believe NR and RN are the other way round as it seems that the codes used are from south - north.

I was also told that KR is Milton Keynes - Rugby.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Quail tells me otherwise with regard to KR, and I doubt it changed with the modernisation. I'll try and find out for sure though :)

Railsigns

Established Member
Quail tells me otherwise with regard to KR, and I doubt it changed with the modernisation. I'll try and find out for sure though :)
A lot has changed on the WCML since Quail book 4 was last updated.

Railsigns

Established Member
Including signal area abbreviations?
Yes, the new 'section of route' signal prefix codes have continued to replace the old 'signal box name' prefixes. Many of the new signal codes shown in Quail now cover a greater area than they did when the book was published.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Yes, the new 'section of route' signal prefix codes have continued to replace the old 'signal box name' prefixes. Many of the new signal codes shown in Quail now cover a greater area than they did when the book was published.

Yeah, realised that was a stupid question as soon after I asked, hence I removed it ;)

MggW

Have you any idea if they'll all go over to one code sooner or later? And there must be a lot of signals (i know when resignalling takes place the nubers are higher) as there is NR6000 :shock:

No, the codes still identify separate workstations, panels or interlockings.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member

If it works anything like the signals on the Chiltern mainline then the 4 digit number is actually a composite of two 2 digit numbers. The first two numbers will be a prefix relating to the type of signal (ie, everything beginning with 12 might be main aspect signals on the up, everything beginning with 22 might be ground position signals and so on) then the second two digits are just numbers in order as they always have been. Apparently it makes things easier for the signaller as it gives them another way of identifying a train and what needs to be done with it. I might be wrong, but that is how it works on signals controlled by Marylebone IECC and the West Midlands signalling centre.

driver_m

Established Member
The codes are for routes and dont always apply to a specific box. RC is Rugby Coventry and the prefix applies to both the rugby SCC box and the West midlands box too. It doesn't just apply to the rugby area as Stoke has it too on the Stafford Crewe section (SC) being one example.

nr_signaller

Harbon 1:1005571 said:
Just a quick one,

Why are there different signal box codes on the signal plates around Rugby Station?

For example:
RN
KR
NR
RC

Cheers,
Matt
I have been told that this is the logic
RN - rugby to nuneaton
KR - keynes to rugby
NR - northampton to rugby
RC - rugby to cov
as someone else mentioned, TK - tring to keynes (currently excluding bletchley BY signals which will be re-plated TK when control is moved to rugby),
plus HN - hanslope to northampton,
WT - watford to tring (watford psb signals currently WJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.