• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby Union

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Must say the future looks bright for england and wales, both very young sides, and both improving every game.
I'm in hope that Stuart Lancaster has successfully passed his trial for getting the job full time he has blooded 9 debuts through the tournament, yet still finished 2nd place. Owen farrell looks good for the future, and only missed 3-4 place kicks all tournament, which for an 18 year old making his debut on the big stage is incredible.

Farrell has been the best fly half by far in the tournament, no question. He is some talent, but he comes from good stock!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ivo

Established Member
I'd like to say England, but the way things have gone since we won last time I have severe doubts about us finishing even second.

After their recent heorics though, I wonder if Wales can pull it off - again? Was it '05 they managed the Grand Slam before?

One right, one wrong. The one that was wrong being that one that exceeded my expectations. Not bad :p

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Farrell has been the best fly half by far in the tournament, no question. He is some talent, but he comes from good stock!

Indeed this is very true and his father, Andy Farrell, had a long career in Rugby League before changing codes and has played for England in both Rugby League and Rugby Union.

Owen Farrell received his early grounding in a structured team situation and was playing Rugby League at the tender age of 8 for junior teams at the Wigan St Patricks club.

richw

Veteran Member

And the media was saying pre tournament he was only in the team because his father was on the coaching team!!! They will have to eat their words there!
And Graham Rowntree's transformation of our scrummaging is nothing short of a miracle.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
And the media was saying pre tournament he was only in the team because his father was on the coaching team!!! They will have to eat their words there!

Yes, but it's not the first time the media have got it wrong!

Butts

Veteran Member
Congratulations to Wales on their victory in the tournament.

As for us losing to Italy was the final humiliation - Robinson is supposed to be in situ till the next World Cup, but I feel he should do the honourable thing.

We need a Martin O'Neill of the Rugby World if such a person exists :p

Michael.Y

Established Member
Wales have dominated every match - err, not! :P Lucky wins against England and Ireland, close against France, and unconvincing against the other two. It has been a poor tournament all round - typical post RWC.
(That said, I have been impressed with all teams' defensive organisation)

Don't worry - Wales will pay England all the due royalties for the copyright on "winning ugly."

Michael.Y

Established Member
Or better; mods could rename this thread "Rugby Union Thread" ;)

Wales II XV 25-15 ACT Brumbies. Good win; perhaps some of those youngsters could be named for Saturday's rubber. Latest I've seen is Tipuric 7, Warburton 8 in for Faletau.

Meanwhile, the U20s have been drawn against NZ again for the semifinal of the JWC in Saf Efrika. Sadly despite putting 74 points on Samoa, I think the Welsh will lose to the Baby Blacks if the weather is fine, but to be the sole NH representative is quite pleasing. If by the gods we win again, I reckon we'll win the whole thing, making Wales world champs in two rugby grades. Future's not looking too shabby for our national game.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Or better; mods could rename this thread "Rugby Union Thread" ;)

....and before you could blink your eyes, it was done...:D

We have the most attentive moderators that you could hope for.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
*****************************************************************************************************

England have just announced that Owen Farrell has been dropped for the Second Test against South Africa that will be played in Johannesburg.

Saturday, 16th June

Australia 25...Wales 23

In a match of fluctating fortunes, Australia who were losing 23-22 were awarded a penalty two minutes into added on time for injury.

Michael Harris, unfortunately for Wales, scores with the kick and wins the match for Australia.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
New Zealand 22...Ireland 19

Yet another Northern Hemisphere club is foiled at the end by a kick for points by the opposition.

Ireland were 10-9 up at half-time, but with the match poised at 19-19 just before the end, fly-half Dan Carter drops a goal to give the match to the All Blacks.

newbie babs

England's 2nd half was so much better and at one point before the final try I though maybe we could win.
Perhaps next Saturday but I was pleasantly surprised.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
And Wales unchanged. Why Priestland is still at 10 I've no idea.

It's because Howley lacks the bottle to make any changes. And because he refused to take Biggar as back up.

I'm afraid another defeat looks highly likely.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It's because Howley lacks the bottle to make any changes. And because he refused to take Biggar as back up.....I'm afraid another defeat looks highly likely.

Saturday, 23rd June 2012

Australia 20....Wales 19

Another occasion in this series where Australia were again awarded a late penalty, which was converted by Berrick Barnes to win the match for Australia.

The standard of some of the refereeing decisions seemed somewhat questionable.
**************************************************************************************

Three more tour match results just in....

Samoa 16...Scotland 17

New Zealand 60...Ireland 0

South Africa 14...England 14
*********************************************************************************************

Sunday, 24th June 2012

Argentina 10....France 49.....(Second Test match of the series).

France looked determined to avenge their narrow 23-20 defeat in the first Test and attacked straight from the start and at half-time, they had built up a remarkable 30-3 lead. The second half was conducted at a more even tempo but France still scored a further 19 points in that period.

The French backs scored five tries between them and fly-half Frederic Michalek scored 19 of the points (5 conversions and 3 penalties).

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It now seems a good time to awaken this thread from its dormancy...

Reports state that the Rugby Football Union have appointed both Sir Ian McGeechan and the former UK Sport performance director, Peter Keen, as independent consultants to lead a performance review of the England rugby union team.

Four Nations Tournement.......Opening fixture results

South Africa...27....Argentina 6

Australia........19....New Zealand 27
Sad news from the birthplace of Rugby Union

Rugby Lions, with their 139 year history, have not only entered into liquidation but cannot pay their creditors and have missed the deadline set for part-repayments of the club debts.

The result of this is the Rugby Football Union have now ejected Rugby Lions from National League Two South. This league will now play the 2012-2013 season as a 15-club league.
Four Nations Tournament

Argentina 16...South Africa 16

Almost a surprise result, with Argentina totally dominant in the first-half.
****************************************************************************************

Saturday, 1st September

Exeter Chiefs 43...Sale Sharks 6

Danny Cipriani's debut for Sale was not a happy one, as they were only 11-3 down when he came off the bench in the first half. Exeter to their credit put on a strong second-half performance and were rewarded with no less than five tries in the final 40 minutes.

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
A good win for the Scarlets last night, even though Leinster were not at full strength.

fgwrich

Established Member
Very shocked and saddend to hear this bit of news from Ulster.

Premiership Rugby

Awful news coming through from Ireland of the death of Ulster's Nevin Spence, killed in a accident with his brother and father. Our thoughts are with his family and friends tonight.

Sadly it seems to have happend on the family farm up in Ulster. So sadly, not just a loss of a very talented up and coming player for both Ulster & Irish Rugby, but also a sad loss to the Northern Irish Farming Community. RIP Nevin, RIP Nevins Brother and RIP to Nevins Father, Hope Nevins sister makes a full recovery, and Condolences to the Spence family and friends, and Ulster Rugby. :(

(London Irish supporter)

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I am quite concerned as to the hopes and aspirations of Sale Sharks in continuing to be able to participate at the very highest level of club rugby, with the last two seasons being a very worrying time for their supporters at the bottom end of the table, where only even poorer form and results of the relegated team saved Sale Sharks from relegation. Last season's end of the season recovery proved to be a false dawn.

The earlier match this season against Exeter Chiefs was a salutary warning to them and yesterday's performance, admittedly against a very good side, showed poor commitment and teamwork.

Ferret

Established Member
Very shocked and saddend to hear this bit of news from Ulster.

Sadly it seems to have happend on the family farm up in Ulster. So sadly, not just a loss of a very talented up and coming player for both Ulster & Irish Rugby, but also a sad loss to the Northern Irish Farming Community. RIP Nevin, RIP Nevins Brother and RIP to Nevins Father, Hope Nevins sister makes a full recovery, and Condolences to the Spence family and friends, and Ulster Rugby. :(

(London Irish supporter)

It sounds like an awfully bizarre accident, falling into a slurry tank:( Condolences to all that knew them.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
A terrible accident. Three members of the same family wasn't it? One can only imagine how the wife and mum must be feeling.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I am quite concerned as to the hopes and aspirations of Sale Sharks in continuing to be able to participate at the very highest level of club rugby.

Since I wrote this, Sale Sharks have now gone down to their sixth consecutive Premiership league defeat, this time by 20-9 at home to Leicester last Friday. Surely, the writing is on the wall and there needs to be a drastic shake-up of the coaching staff and, if possible, new motivational staff employed. Matters have been uncertain since the move to the new shared ground and the owner's flirtation with Rangers FC during the summer.

I can see similarities being drawn to the football club that I hold dear in my heart, Oldham Athletic, who were founder members of the English Football Premiership who spurned the offers of financial backing and the promise of a top manager and his coaching staff from abroad, and decided to stay with the status quo. It did not take long for them to assume their current position of two divisions further down in status.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Sale Sharks are not the only rugby team in our area to have a disastrous start to the season, but you expect this from Manchester Rugby Club, who have now matched Sale Sharks six match losing start to the season by endeavouring to lose 62-17 to Altrincham Kersal in the Northern Division North West 1 West league.

Just think..four successive relegations from what was once matches against very good teams in a high National League not so many years ago. Mind you, they readily conceded scores of over 100 points against two years ago and I think the 150 point mark was reached, possibly on a couple of occasions.

Heineken Cup....Sunday 14th October

Sale Sharks 34...Cardiff Blues 33

In the immortal words of Victor Meldrew..."I just don't believe it" !!!

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Cardiff Blues have not had a very good start to the season either, as their Director of Rugby Phil Davies admitted after the Sale match.

Not many surprises in the opening games of the Heineken. The only prediction I got wrong was Paris Metro 92 winning their game!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Friday, 2nd November 2012

Sale Sharks 21...London Irish 9

At long last, a first win this new season in the Premiership. I wonder how much the move that Steve Diamond made to take over the first-team matters from Bryan Redpath (now in a position of head coach) made the betterment of the team spirit. Danny Cipriani was said to have been more like the player of old in this match.

fgwrich

Established Member
Friday, 2nd November 2012

Sale Sharks 21...London Irish 9

At long last, a first win this new season in the Premiership. I wonder how much the move that Steve Diamond made to take over the first-team matters from Bryan Redpath (now in a position of head coach) made the betterment of the team spirit. Danny Cipriani was said to have been more like the player of old in this match.

I'd noticed (unfortunatly). I was always going to be abit of a tought match, as (us) London Irish were wanting the points to make up for that semi controversial Try by Quins right in the dying seconds of last Sundays match, and Sale needed the points for well, it's first win of the season.