• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rugby Union

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Friday, 16th November 2012

Wales 19....Samoa 26

Three tries for the South Sea Islanders at what was beginning to look very worrying for the Welsh team management. Last season promised so much for the Welsh supporters.

Sale Sharks 25....Saracens 23

Yet another victory under the new managerial shake-up must now give Sale Sharks some hope that the black nightmare of the first six league matches under the old regime may have seen a turn-around in their fortunes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I am far too angry and depressed to talk about rugby after last night! It will be at least a week before I can bring myself to think about rugby union again, and by then we will be playing the All Blacks - my prediction Wales 0 - 107 New Zealand.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
England 14 Australia 20 - So 'vows of silence' all around for the nations of GB!

Butts

Veteran Member
In a rerun of last week England, Scotland and Wales all go down the pan once again - well done Ireland for bucking the trend.

No one mention the name "Tonga" !!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In a rerun of last week England, Scotland and Wales all go down the pan once again - well done Ireland for bucking the trend.

No one mention the name "Tonga" !!

I watched the Scotland v Tonga match on the television and I really though that when Tonga went down to 14 men twelve minutes from time (and even 13 men for a two minute period), that Scotland would at least score the try that they had not been able to do until then, but was disappointed that they were unable to do so. Are not Tonga a couple of places down from Scotland in the world ranking positions ?

The scorer of the second Tongan try showed a rather amazing burst of acceleration during his long run and caused my wife to ask if the broadcast had been speeded up..:roll:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Poor Andy Robinson. Saw him down at Stradey Park when he was coaching Edinburgh after being sacked by England. He had a standing ovation from the crowd when he walked past, and seemed genuinely moved.

I think the thread might as well remain open, things can't get any worse. Can they?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
This thread should be closed. Permanently!

Looking at how matters can be somewhat drawn out of the slough of despond, forum members can take heart that Rugby Union has an even more depressing record over the last four years. Manchester Rugby Club have plummeted down the leagues from a very good national league level with relegation every of those four years to their current level of the Northern Division...North 1 West.

Their current record, even by such a lowly league standard reads..
P12. W0, D0. L12. Pts 2...<(

It is only a couple of seasons ago when I was invited to watch the first XV play at home against a very good Esher side. The final score was...
Manchester 0...Esher 148..<(

Liam

Established Member
Can Andy Robinson really blamed for Scotland not being very good? We just don't produce enough top quality players anymore. There are a few top players and a few youngsters with lots of potential in the Scotland squad, but the other 11 or 12 around them just aren't on a high enough level to compete with the worlds top 8 or 9 teams on a regular basis.

2 wins in 3 years in the 6 nations is not good enough though.

Butts

Veteran Member
Can Andy Robinson really blamed for Scotland not being very good? We just don't produce enough top quality players anymore. There are a few top players and a few youngsters with lots of potential in the Scotland squad, but the other 11 or 12 around them just aren't on a high enough level to compete with the worlds top 8 or 9 teams on a regular basis.

2 wins in 3 years in the 6 nations is not good enough though.

The Rugby team is starting to resemble the Football team unfortunately :cry:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The Rugby team is starting to resemble the Football team unfortunately :cry:

Ah well he's gone now :cry:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The England team produced a good reserve of character and application, in what was a quite notable 38-21 win yesterday over the All Blacks, as the Kiwis had been in good form prior to that match. Quite a good match to test out young Farrell in on his return to the side.

Butts

Veteran Member
The England team produced a good reserve of character and application, in what was a quite notable 38-21 win yesterday over the All Blacks, as the Kiwis had been in good form prior to that match. Quite a good match to test out young Farrell in on his return to the side.

Yes fair play a good result for England....no one saw that one coming !!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I watched the Wales v. Australia match on TV and it must have been utterly heartbreaking to see Australia score their try in the last 30 seconds of normal time, as Wales put on a performance to belie their earlier match results and Warren Gatland must have been pleased with the great improvement in the commitment of his team.

A great pity that Leigh Halfpenny took that very hard knock in the final minute and it was very worrying to see how many minutes elapsed once he was put on the stretcher and being treated and his head put in the usual protecting support, to actually being carried off the field of play. It was good to see that the players from both sides were applauding his exit on the stretcher.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Congratulations England on a famous and well deserved victory. Wales managed to throw it all away yet again. I have decided I no longer have any interest in international rugby, at least not if it involves my own country.

I expect that feeling will only last for a few days, though!

Butts

Veteran Member
Congratulations England on a famous and well deserved victory. Wales managed to throw it all away yet again. I have decided I no longer have any interest in international rugby, at least not if it involves my own country.

If you feel bad think of us up here - I am not expecting much in the six nations :oops:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
I am not expecting anything of Wale sin the 6N. We are quite capable of losing every game.

fgwrich

Established Member

Slight correlation going on here then, as a Mr Shaun Edwards is on the coaching team of Wales. Unfortunatly / Fortunatly he is also on our almost non exsistant coaching team at London Irish - who are also on quite a loosing streak at the moment too.

(By the way we've been playing lately, i'll be putting in my order for a new Exeter Chiefs shirt soon! Or if my friends get their way, quins)...

Butts

Veteran Member
World Cup 2015

Group "A"....Five teams in this group.

Australia
England
Wales
Oceania 1
Play-off winner

First group to be fully drawn so far

One thing I can't understand is the tournament is being held in England and Wales yet is being called "England 2015" :idea:

Liam

Established Member
Great draw for Scotland. Would be really disappointed not to make the last 8 from that pool. Hopefully we will get some of our games in the North-East, Manchester or Leeds and get a good support going down.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Premiership...last Friday night's result

Sale Sharks 33...Worcester Warriors 27

Sale Sharks are now only one point behind London Irish in the league, so the new man at the helm has at least done something to restore morale and confidence in the team.

richw

Veteran Member
I would rather like to see London Irish relegated, just so I could get down to see them in the Championship at Menehay ground, being around 15 miles away from me.

fgwrich

Established Member
London Irish looses our Corbs to Northampton Saints.

Club News

Irish confirm Corbisiero departure

Date: Wed 16 Jan 2013

It was confirmed today that Alex Corbisiero has signed for Northampton Saints for the 2013/14 season.

Alex joined London Irish as an 17 year old and has moved through the Academy programme and developed into an outstanding loosehead prop. During his seven years at London Irish he has played 76 games for the Club.

London Irish Director of Rugby, Brian Smith said: “We are sad to see Alex go. We made him a very attractive offer to stay earlier this season but unfortunately Alex feels his future is elsewhere. He is an Academy product who has gone through to the first team and on to the International stage and we are immensely proud of that. We have some crucial games left this season and I know Alex will give his all in those games before departing for Northampton.”
http://www.london-irish.com/news/Irish90090.ink

Shame, Corbs was a fantastic player and it'll be a shame to loose him from our team.

fgwrich

Established Member
The "new man" at Sale Sharks did not take too long in deciding not to stay with the club. Perhaps things are worse "behind the scenes" than I was led to believe existed there...<(

Who knows, he didnt last long after punishing 'golden boy' cipriani though...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Another top player down.

Steven Shingler is leaving London Irish Rugby Club at the end of the season to join the Scarlets.

fgwrich

Established Member
Scarlets fans are very pleased about this, as far as I can gather!

Im not supprised, unlike us Irish fans, who with Corbs move over to the Saints (also announced reccently), leaves us looking decidedly shoddy - especially when other teams are now signing player for next season, and we've er... not. So the fight continues...Sales management woes vs London Irish's Player / Management incompetance...

Still, just as well half of me is from Devon - Those Chiefs are looking pretty safe!